Where to have a beer in Progreso?

pawsue521

I'm so excited---we're leaving on the Triumph this Saturday!! Where should we get a beer or eat while in Progreso (or should we SKIP eating except on the ship??)? Information is greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!!

Check the port of call board for progreso, lots of info there. The overall idea is that progreso doesn't have much in the way of fine regional dining, you'll have to go to merida for that. But, progreso does have decent street food and a decent idea of yucatan cuisine.

We are leaving on the Triumph Saturday as well:D

You won't find any fine dining in Progreso but there is a lot of average, but authentic, Mexican food to be had right off the pier. Beer, well, is everywhere and at a great price. A lot of info on our roll call.

Been there a couple of times but can"t remeber any specific place. Just follow the crowd. There are lots of beachfront places. One note, it appears the beach seating is cintrolled by restaurants across the street. If you sit on "their" beach you have to order food and drink from them. Best thing about Progresso, beachfront massages. Relaxing and cheap. Have fun on your cruise!

Two good places for food and drink in Progreso are Buddy's and Le Saint Bonnet. Both are across from the beach. Have a great cruise!

I agree! Buddys is great... We had good authentic mexican food and beer and margaritas served to us on the beach... and then right there we also had a 45 minute massage for 40 bucks!! wow!!!

Good food, good drinks, and a massage on a beach... can't beat that :D

We went to Buddy's. Had a nice lunch on the beach. Also, take the double decker bus - it will drive you around a bit and makes a stop for you to get beers at a concession stand-type place. I think the Coronas were $2.

After lunch, we walked down and found a little convenience store where we bought cold cans of beer. We ended up back at the place where you board the bus and browsed the vendors there. Bought a cute dress.

FYI, We got off the triumph fairly early the last time we were there. I thought about getting a beer at the shops before you take the bus from the pier, but didn't. Once we got to town, I was informed I couldn't get a beer that early, had to wait until I think 11am. I should have gotten one before getting on the bus.

We hung out at Buddy's once and got massages from next door, it was nice. Next time we went to another place about a block farther than Buddy's and a block from the beach that we ate, drank, and got massages that was also nice.

You can sit on the beach across the street from Buddy's and they will serve you. The vendors are a little aggressive. They go away with a friendly "no thank you", but another will be there a few minutes later.

I can second the Buddy's and Le Saint Bonnet recommendations. Buddy's for hanging out with the local expats and enjoying many cool ones and Saint Bonnet's for lunch. Best and freshest fish in town. Free tequila shots everywhere as the day goes on.:D

And they have a small bar right as you go thru the shops before you go to the bus. We've had some of our best times here before going back on the bus. Plenty of Tequila shots and dancing. You know how it goes, need a last beer before you get back on the ship. I like Buddy's and Le Saint bonnet too. Wonderful massages...... be sure and bargain with them. I think we had 5 ladies and they went down to $10 for an hour massage. The only bad thing with these bars is that they want to run a tab and I know that one time we were overcharged. It is better to insist to pay as you go.

Archived