Paris to Normandy---When to go?

bocatraveler09

I am planning my first River Cruise on the Paris to Normandy route. I'd love feedback about when to go. April, May, June, July......or later? Concern is with the water on the Seine and when it will be the "right" depth to not interrupt the passage. I don't mind cooler days (actually like them better than 85 degrees, since I live in FL).

Appreciate any input you can provide.

Thanks.

Possible June or Sept although the last time we were there was mid April and the temps were in the 70's.

I can't remember people complaining about water levels on the Seine. If you've never been to Paris, plan on spending extra time on your own if possible.

We went in late March/early April there and it was beautiful in Paris, but a little cool and raw in Normandy and Brittany, but we're from New England, so it was about what we were used to. It was a little too early in the season for the gardens to be in full bloom, but it was also too early for the tourists to be in full bloom, so the crowds were not as bad as they would be in June and later. We went with Grand Circle and had a pre-trip extension of 3 days in Paris and a post-trip extension of 3 days in Brittany. Paris has so much to do and is so easy to get around that I would recommend at least 3 days or more there before the cruise, whether as an extension or just on your own. Brittany was also wonderful. It is so different from Paris and the towns along the Seine. St. Malo and Mont St. Michel take you back to the middle ages. I did a blog on the trip. It is http://jackthetravelingman-seine.blogspot.com. It was a wonderful trip. I'm sure that you will enjoy it no matter who you go with.

I did this cruise in 2008. Jack gives a great review and has some great pictures. I can't top them, except we went over the 4th of July and the crew of the Bizet went all out decorating the ship with red, white and blue and made the day very special for us. Also the thing that I found missing in Jack's pictures were the flowers. Not too many that early in the Spring. When we went to Monet's home and the American Musee in Giverny there were loads of beautiful flowers. I've been to Giverny twice, once in Aug. and this time in July. The flowers were actually even more beautiful on the Aug. trip. That was when I took the Cote'd AZur & Burgundy cruise. Had an optional for Giverny while we spent 3 days in Paris. I was actually disappointed in the GCT optional tour to the Louvre. I had been there twice before and had a lot more time and got to see a lot more. On GCT tour I think we spent half the time in the parking garage. On our previous Paris stay we took a bus on our own and went to the Louvre and had all day or how ever long we wanted to stay. Also took a trip on our own to the D'Orsay Musee. That's a great museum, too.

Anyhow you might watch for the "Last Minute Cruises" GCT online site. We did the Paris to Normandy and spent about half price for the trip. We also had a balcony room. I think we had about 3 weeks to get ready to go. Also did another "Last Minute" trip, The Romance of the Rhine and Mosel. Was my second time and paid about half of what I paid the first time. This is my favorite itinerary of all the river cruises I've been on.

Anyhow, I know you will love it no matter when you go.

Hey Boca (we're there in the winter) we went from Paris to Normandy on Avalon last September. (also took the cruise from Paris to the Provence immediately after.) Weather was fine and Paris was beautiful.

I wouldn't go in the summer since that's when all of the tourists go! I also wouldn't go in April since it can be rainy but September was glorious, warm during the day but not hot. We've never had any problem with water levels in Sept either and if you travel in September you might miss the Fla hurricanes. (We went through Fran in 96, Andrew in '92, David in '79 ...enough for me)

We always arrive days early so we can set our body clocks, make sure we catch the boat on time, but especially so we have extra time to sight see.

River cruising is wonderful and can be addictive!

Thanks everyone. I appreciate your advice!

We have been to Paris a few times and definitely plan to spend extra days there. That is the main reason I'm looking at the Seine cruise.

I know that a river cruise will be at a slower pace than we are used to. It also sounds like more of a "group" travel experience...........but that's ok with us, as we like meeting new people :)

We are looking at Avalon and AMA....any suggestions?

Boca, most of the Paris to Normandy ports are ones that you can definitely do your own thing in if you are concerned about "group" experiences. You will have to get on a bus for Giverny but that is totally worth it because when you get inside the gardens and house again you are on your own. You're also bussed to the American Cemetery and Beaches but then you're on your own. River cruising is all about doing as much or as little with others as you want.

We love Avalon and once you travel with them then you can join the "Journeys Club", receive a membership # (at no cost) and then if you travel on Globus, Avalon, or Monogram again, give your TA that # and you'll get a discount as a repeat customer. I'm sure most of the cruise lines have similar deals.

Have fun researching and then cruising!

Concern is with the water on the Seine and when it will be the "right" depth to not interrupt the passage.

At Paris you'll have an average water depth of about 9m, and the last 120km / 80 miles are cruiseable for ocean going vessels, have never heard anything about low water issues on the Seine like on the Danube.

See what I have written here: http://www.rivercruiseinfo.com/node/20?ri_id=32

With the kind of weather we've been having both in NAmerica and Europe who knows what May weather will be like? :) I read where Olympic officials are very concerned about some of the London venues with all of the rain they're having.

Later May might be fine. As I said, we went in September and it was beautiful.

This happened to us on a Dec Paris-Normandy cruise and it does not sound like you are considering that time of year. Because of an unexpected snow storm, water was so high, there was the possiblility of not being able to leave Paris-because the boat would have been unable to clear the bridges so our Viking boat was moved out of the city and we were took buses to and from the boat for the Paris portion. It was not a big problem and only unusual weather would cause such a thing. The other problem with late in the year (we did see nice little Christmas markets) is that no gardens can be seen. I would try more to go when there are gardens and not worry about the water. As others said, spend extra time in Paris.

We did this cruise on Viking in May last year. We had fantastic weather, almost too warm. The gardens at Giverny were in full bloom and were absolutely beautiful. We had sunny warm days at Normandy, Versailles, and in Paris. Of course no one can predict the weather in any particular year. I think you take your chances and make your best guess.

We did this cruise on Viking in May last year. We had fantastic weather, almost too warm. The gardens at Giverny were in full bloom and were absolutely beautiful. We had sunny warm days at Normandy, Versailles, and in Paris. Of course no one can predict the weather in any particular year. I think you take your chances and make your best guess.

Thanks!

I gather this was a very beautiful cruise?

We did this cruise on Avalon. It was by far our favourite itinerary. It was just beautiful and we want to go back again. Giverny was extremely crowded. While we could see that the gardens and lily pond were fabulous we had to literally queue all the way round behind the hordes of tourists (June). If possible go as early in the moring as possible.

As I've posted before I advocate for visiting Europe in April/May or Sept/Oct because most of the tourists have gone home. We took the Paris to Normandy to Provence in Sept and when we visited Giverny we were just about the 1st bus group into the actual gardens. We were directed straight there by our guide.

My husband and I deserted our group and headed straight for the gardens and the lily pond/bridge and there were maybe 10 other people there. We have awesome pictures with no person in them! There are signs pointing to the way.

Go to the bridge/pond first, then wander the gardens and visit the home and then walk the streets of the village. It only gets more crowded later in the day so the advise to get there early as possible is spot on. Avalon did a great job getting us out early to beat the traffic, both automotive and tourist!

That sounds like good advice to get there early and go to the bridge first, and I will save this entry. For me Giverny would be the highlight of the trip. Getting there early depends on which boat you take. It sounds like Avalon did well. Has anyone taken AMA there? I've been looking at that too.

I agree about traveling in the shoulder season.

Boca, we just returned from this cruise and the Burgundy/Provence cruise as well (The Grand France). We timed our cruise to the lavender fields in Provence, and we got it just right, beautiful lavender in full bloom. We were there in late June, and in Normandy in early July. Normandy, in general, was cool and cloudy, some days rainy with spotty sun. Giverny was full of seasonal flowers.

(Yes, Paris was crowded, but it's a city and it's always crowded. I was there in March several years ago and the Louvre was just as crowded then as in July.) As someone has already said, weather is unpredictable, so just go when the timing is right for you, the rest will fall in place.

Archived