Life on Azamara Journey

karenbeanpole

Can anyone please tell me what life is like on this ship. We've just booked on it to sail from Athens to Mumbai in November. This is the smallest ship we will be sailing on. Previous cruises have had at least 3000 passengers onboard. Is it quite informal, are there formal nights, is there any dancing (ballroom) in the evening, what is the evening entertainment like, if any etc. Any information will be helpful. Thanks.

As yourself our first cruise on the Journey was last November and we are use to large ships actually our last cruise prior to Journey was Oasis was not sure what to expect but learnt quite a bit on this board people here are very helpful and so is Andy the Moderator.

Journey does not disappoint at all in fact I can get this ship out of my mind LOL.. It was probably one of the best cruises we ever took.

Service is the key to Azamara from the steward to the captain everyone talks to you it is a real friendly ship and they do care that you are having a good cruise if something is not right they try and fix it so it is.

Very good food especially in the dining room and we have never been much for MDR but Journey changed that for us. No formal night I would say it is business casual. Wine is severed complimentary with lunch and dinner which is a nice touch so are soft drinks and water.

Mosaic coffee bar is the hub of the ship and a great place to meet other passengers and speaking of other passengers we met some really nice and friendly people on our cruise.

I have to say even though the ship is small it is very well laid out with two speciality restaurants, nice spa and work out room. Buffet has outside seating which is great and good public space. Once on the ship it felt much bigger because the spaces are well laid out.

Coming from a large ship the entertainment is hit or miss I would call it more cabaret and there are no production shows but they do a nice job but we still miss the production shows.

Port talks are really port talks and not a where to shop type of thing we found it to be very interesting.

One negative for us was the bathroom in the cabins they were very small but not a deal breaker at all.

We all ready booked out next cruise for April. As I said it was probably the best cruise we have ever been on and we are now big fans of Azamara.

What we remember most about our cruise on the Journey was the service it is something very special.

You have chosen well!!!

Azamara maintains a standard unavailable on larger ships.

Dress for the evenings is casual - in the US we call it country club casual. There are no formal nights and no need for a suit or sport coast at all. Jeans are not appropriate in the dining room during the evening meal.

Life on board on sea days can be as busy as you like. There will be activities to fill every waking moment if you wish to participate. Lectures, demonstrations, ship's tours, trivia contests, respectful adult games, and even bingo are offered.

There will be several evenings with a buffet by the pool on the Lido deck. Often there is music and dance to enliven these delightful events.

Dinner in the MDR is open seating. You may choose to dine at a table for two or with a larger group, either established by yourselves or by the hostess. The tables are rather close and conversations often develop from table to table. There is a lounge by the Discoveries dining room where you may enjoy light music and a drink before you are seated.

There are two specialty restaurants which do require a reservation and the Lido is also available for dinner. Room service is always available if you wish to dine in your stateroom.

Mosaics is midship and in the evening there will be a pianist playing requests too. The adjacent coffee bar is a gathering spot all day. One of the most delightful places for relaxation after a hectic day or for a meal from the Lido is aft of the Lido. The covered area was one of our favorite spots for meeting our new friends.

There are shows in the showroom most evenings. You can dance in the Looking Glass lounge.

The crews of the Azamara ships are the most professional and the friendliest crew we have sailed with in thirty plus years of cruising. They will do everything to make this cruise unforgettable. You will see the captain and senior officers everywhere on the ship and they truly do care about their passengers.

Please join the Roll Call for your sailing. It will be an invaluable tool in preparation for your cruise.

If you have additional questions, do not hesitate to ask.

Thanks! It sounds really lovely and we are looking forward to it. Heard so much about it and when we saw the deal on a phone app yesterday, we just rang and booked!

We are very adaptable, open to all kinds of cruising, don't mind lots of sea days for relaxing, not too bothered about sailing to cold places (not that our cruise will be cold this time), but we always have a good time on cruises.

I understand complimentary wine is served at mealtimes. Are soft drinks complimentary only at meal times? At other times (eg mid afternoon) do we have to pay for soft drinks? How does it work?

When you say dining is smart casual, do people wear jackets at all?

Thanks! It sounds really lovely and we are looking forward to it. Heard so much about it and when we saw the deal on a phone app yesterday, we just rang and booked!

We are very adaptable, open to all kinds of cruising, don't mind lots of sea days for relaxing, not too bothered about sailing to cold places (not that our cruise will be cold this time), but we always have a good time on cruises.

I understand complimentary wine is served at mealtimes. Are soft drinks complimentary only at meal times? At other times (eg mid afternoon) do we have to pay for soft drinks? How does it work?

When you say dining is smart casual, do people wear jackets at all?

Hi Karen!

First of all, you will have a great time on your cruise, the crew will ensure you do! I have never seen a crew who was so dedicated to ensuring their passengers are happy, they are so friendly, and how they remember our names is beyond me!

Soft drinks were complimentary at all times in all areas of the ship, so nice not to be nickeled and dimed for every soda! There are no stickers on your sea pass as everyone gets free soft drinks so no need to remember your card etc.

The dining is indeed smart casual, jackets and ties for men are not necessary, but feel free to bring them if you like. On our voyage some people dressed up for dinner some nights, some dressed up every night and others wore more casual but still smart dress (no jeans). You will see all types of dress and that is the best part of Azamara's onboard feel-no mandated formal nights (good news for many people who are tired of dressing up) yet you can feel free to be fancy if you like.

• 4 weeks later...

I spent 11 nights on Journey's transatlantic crossing in April and found the ship to be very comfortable, the food excellent, the layout easy, the staff professional, and I really loved the casual dress code. It was a relaxing voyage as a result. Yes, there was dancing later in the evening with a dj. Don't worry: I sincerely doubt you'll feel bored or cramped!

I have been on this ship 7 times.. i hope yuo get lucky and have Eric as a cruise director as he singa and dances. the hotel director Heike is a doll and always around.

No jeans- saw people turned away from MDR. some peopel dress more fpr speciality resturants- others no.

there is a wine dinner that is $60 american and so worth it.

have fun- i just left my home away from home.

I never seen a bathroom as i take a club suite and i would not take a smaller cabin nor leave mid ship, -small ships rock more.

If you have previously sailed on large ships, get ready for a very different experience. I like Azamara and also the big ships. Azamara is quieter, more casual, less crowded, almost no kids, and has better service. Great food without assigned table mates or times. Entertainment is hit or miss....and that's true for all ships. There are fewer activities compared to the large ships. You do not have an indoor pool. If you enjoy just leisurely travel, then Azamara is great. If you need glitz and constant entertainment, then you may not like Azamara. I love the smaller ships. In fact after Azamara, I have gone even smaller....riverboats and windstar. I enjoy them all.

Vic and I are very adaptable and enjoy anything thrown at us. We can be very casual and very formal, whatever it requires! We enjoy everything. We don't mind dressing up, we don't mind dressing down. We don't mind very large ships (Independence of the Seas was our first cruise!) and we don't mind river boats (cruised down the Nile). All thoroughly enjoyable. Entertainment is what we make of our holiday, so hopefully we'll be prepared for anything! We were recommended Azamara so we are definitely looking forward to it!

Can anyone please tell me what life is like on this ship. We've just booked on it to sail from Athens to Mumbai in November. This is the smallest ship we will be sailing on. Previous cruises have had at least 3000 passengers onboard. Is it quite informal, are there formal nights, is there any dancing (ballroom) in the evening, what is the evening entertainment like, if any etc. Any information will be helpful. Thanks.

Just to add to what has already been said. Although I cannot comment specifically on the Journey (as we have not yet cruised on her, but will be joining in Mumbai as you leave) we have sailed on the Quest.

What can you expect.

Firstly, early embarkation. The registration process will be swift and efficient - no long queues. Before you know it you will be on board with a glass of something fizzy in hand, being made to feel very welcome. Of course, large luggage will already have been dealt with, but you may also deposit your hand luggage once you are on board and it will be delivered to your cabin. You will then be invited up to Windows for lunch. I think you will be impressed by the quality of the buffet and the included wines. The service from the waiters etc will be very efficient and friendly.

Once cabins are ready, you will find that they are of a reasonable size, but very comfortable. Bathrooms are small, but perfectly adequate. The cabin stewards are, like the waiters, friendly and efficient and will do all they can for you.

During the cruise you will notice that officers are very visible and happy to engage. If there is anything you feel is not right, just let someone know and they will attempt (and usually succeed) to put it right.

Food in all venues will be excellent and with a good choice. The speciality restaurants are good value at $25 per head but many people find the main dining room so good that they don't visit the specialities.

The ship is small enough that it is easy to meet up with people throughout the cruise. We have made many good friends from all over the world on our Azamara cruises.

Above all, Azamara provides a very relaxing environment where you are well looked after.

The downside? Leaving the ship is a huge wrench!

• 3 months later...

You were all right! Azamara is just amazing. We love it to bits and it was extremely difficult to leave in Mumbai! The crew were simply amazing, the guests were so friendly, the food was fantastic, the shows were great, the dancing lessons were the best ever, and we had a fantastic time! It wasn't full capacity (469 guests to 410 crew) and we had a lovely time cruising through the Suez Canal, even though we encountered pirates (which added to the excitement....). Bought an open passage while on board, so we will definitely sail with Azamara again!

You were all right! Azamara is just amazing. We love it to bits and it was extremely difficult to leave in Mumbai! The crew were simply amazing, the guests were so friendly, the food was fantastic, the shows were great, the dancing lessons were the best ever, and we had a fantastic time! It wasn't full capacity (469 guests to 410 crew) and we had a lovely time cruising through the Suez Canal, even though we encountered pirates (which added to the excitement....). Bought an open passage while on board, so we will definitely sail with Azamara again!

I agree with everything you say, it was a fantastic cruise on a great ship with wonderful passengers and crew.

We also bought an open passage and are eagerly looking for another cruise - probably in the far east next November......can't wait..:D

Archived