Cruising with kids in separate rooms

kwagmyre

I am trying to get clear on Carnival's booking policy on minors in separate rooms. We are looking at doing a cruise with my kids who would be 11, 12, and 14 when we sail. We are considering getting an OV for me and the wife, and putting them in a separate inside room.

According to the following link...:

http://www.carnival.com/Funville/forums/t/211524.aspx

... my plan is ok, so long as the kids are directly across, or directly next door. Assuming this is correct, I can book this way with no problems.

But, if we were unable to find such a room assignment scenario, I know that we could technically book one adult in each room, keeping the occupancies the same (3 on the inside, 2 in the OV). Then, "switch" at guest services once boarding.

I have seen many reports of people doing this, but am not quite sure how this works. Near as I can tell, since you can't change booking or folio numbers, you basically just have guest services encode both rooms, onto all of the S&S cards. Then, sleep where you like.

Do I have this right?

And, in a similar vein, I would want to ensure that the kids do not have any charging priveleges on the cards. So, even though these would be separate bookings, would it/is it possible to have all the guests on the same folio#, even with adults booked into separate cabins, but NOT have the kids in EITHER room be able to do the same?

Hopefully the wording on that was confusing enough. If not, let me know and I will try to obfuscate it further. ;)

P.S. - we wouldn't be doing separate decks or anything. Just maybe catty-corner, or 2 or 3 doors down if one immediately adjacent were not available. Nothing crazy.

Youw oudl have to book one adult in each cabin and then switch cabins once onboard. There has to be someone aged 25 or older in each cabin.

Not true.

The 25 rule only applies if a parent/guardian is not onboard.

We have booked in the past exactly as you describe with no issues. They must be across the hall or next door type of thing.

As for charging on the card. That can be set per card or turned off on a per card basis.

No Worries. Book now while the selection of rooms is as good as it will ever be and enjoy your cruise with your family.

depends on who is taking care of the booking.

This is an area that carnival is not across the board with the rule.

If they are your kids they can be placed in their own room across the hall.

(if they are taking their friends-- that is something different and an adult needs to be in that cabin)

when checking in for your cruise-- you tell them you do not want the kids to have charging privileges. They still need the card to open the doors or get on and off the ship.

As others have said, as long as they are your children and are within a few doors of your cabin, you will be allowed to book them into their own cabin. Just makes for less headaches after you've boarded.

On the charging privileges, when you fill out the Fun Pass information, it askes if you want anyone from another booking to be covered by your credit card. At this point, you can put in the kids booking # and use the drop down box next to each name, to show that they do not have charging privileges. By doing this, the auto gratuities will come to your credit card, but they will not be able to purchase anything. It is very easy to accomplish. When we took our 2 oldest DGS on a cruise, in their own cabin, this is how I did it and it made it much faster checking in.

I was told when booking kids in a separate cabin, if they are under 25, they had to be within 3 doors of the parent/guardian room. My kids were 21-20-18 at the time. This was the rule.... except of course if they are married, then a marriage certificate is needed. It made it a little more challenging in picking rooms, especially since I was booking only a couple of months out. I don't understand the 25 age rule with 21 being the drinking age... but, I guess I don't make the rules.

and we had to book me in one cabin wtih 2 kids and dh in another cabin with 1 kid. We switched on board with no problem. We were next door to each other and kids were 17, 12, and 8 at the time. We gave my 17 YO charging privileges, but the younger ones did not.

We've been able to do it both ways. Two weeks ago on Pride, DH and I were booked in separate cabins next to each other and we just got an extra card from Guest Services for each room. When we sail on Glory in 2+ weeks, DH and I are booked in an Ocean Suite with the boys across the hall from us in an inside.

Youw oudl have to book one adult in each cabin and then switch cabins once onboard. There has to be someone aged 25 or older in each cabin.

Not true in OP's case. There are a few exceptions and the OP assumed correctly.

I was told when booking kids in a separate cabin, if they are under 25, they had to be within 3 doors of the parent/guardian room. My kids were 21-20-18 at the time. This was the rule.... except of course if they are married, then a marriage certificate is needed. It made it a little more challenging in picking rooms, especially since I was booking only a couple of months out. I don't understand the 25 age rule with 21 being the drinking age... but, I guess I don't make the rules.

which shows that carnival is not consistent with their policies

did they take friends with them?

We are booked on the pride for Aug. 5th sailing with our 3 kids aged 12, 10 and 8. We booked a balcony room with myself, my husband and 8 year old, and an interior directly across the hall for our 12 and 10 year old. No problems with booking and actually had a carnival rep call us a couple days after we booked bc they made an error about the room across the hall and where the door opens so we were switched to ensure that there door and our door were directly across from one another. They caught their error (we booked direct with carnival) and called us to fix it almost immediately!

I am trying to get clear on Carnival's booking policy on minors in separate rooms. We are looking at doing a cruise with my kids who would be 11, 12, and 14 when we sail. We are considering getting an OV for me and the wife, and putting them in a separate inside room.

According to the following link...:

http://www.carnival.com/Funville/forums/t/211524.aspx

... my plan is ok, so long as the kids are directly across, or directly next door. Assuming this is correct, I can book this way with no problems.

But, if we were unable to find such a room assignment scenario, I know that we could technically book one adult in each room, keeping the occupancies the same (3 on the inside, 2 in the OV). Then, "switch" at guest services once boarding.

I have seen many reports of people doing this, but am not quite sure how this works. Near as I can tell, since you can't change booking or folio numbers, you basically just have guest services encode both rooms, onto all of the S&S cards. Then, sleep where you like.

Do I have this right?

And, in a similar vein, I would want to ensure that the kids do not have any charging priveleges on the cards. So, even though these would be separate bookings, would it/is it possible to have all the guests on the same folio#, even with adults booked into separate cabins, but NOT have the kids in EITHER room be able to do the same?

Hopefully the wording on that was confusing enough. If not, let me know and I will try to obfuscate it further. ;)

P.S. - we wouldn't be doing separate decks or anything. Just maybe catty-corner, or 2 or 3 doors down if one immediately adjacent were not available. Nothing crazy.

since you have two kids under the age of 13 they would need to be directly across the hall or right next door.

If they were in the 13-17 year old range they could be within 3 cabins.

18 and above they don't need to be in close proximity.

Bill

We are sailing in Nov, with our two DSs. Our youngest will be 13 and our oldest will turn 16 on board. My DH and I have a balcony and we got the boys their own cabin, an inside. They are right across the hall from us. I am pretty nervous, I like my babies with me, but we are going on the Fascination and the cabins would be too small for all 4 of us.

This is untrue and I wish people would quit saying this.

since you have two kids under the age of 13 they would need to be directly across the hall or right next door.

If they were in the 13-17 year old range they could be within 3 cabins.

18 and above they don't need to be in close proximity.

Bill

This is true. We have two cabins booked, one for our kids both under 10, and we have no adult in their cabin but it is right next door and connects to ours. Never had an issue booking it without an adult also booked in the room.

This is untrue and I wish people would quit saying this..

the reason people keep saying it-- is because it has happened to the them where they could NOT book the kids in their own room.

We cruised with family- son/gf and their own child (age 18 months) that 18 month old was not allowed to be booked in that cabin with her parents because someone was not over 25. so until Carnival enforces that rule across the board-- it is true-- and its not true all in the same sentence

the reason people keep saying it-- is because it has happened to the them where they could NOT book the kids in their own room.

I understand why someone might say it, but the policy has been posted several times on CC, so all I'm saying is I wish people would not say this anymore.

Hi,

I was nervous about having my "babies" across the hall from me too...

We went on one cruise where my DH and I had a balcony and my boys were 16 and 12 sleeping across the hall from us in an inside and it was just okay. The 16 yr old was not the sort of kid to go looking for trouble AND we were traveling with 5 other families, so I knew he'd be hanging around kids we knew. Additionally it was a Mediterranean cruise and we were off the ship every morning early and all were exhausted at night. I still felt it was a hassle to constantly have to go across the hall to wake them up, make sure they were sleeping, help tie a tie etc etc. I think I added years of wear and tear to the rug between our rooms!

The next cruise, the boys a bit older, more social :rolleyes: and it was in the Caribbean with some sea days...I figured there may be more potential for teen trouble! So we booked two adjoining Oceanview cabins. It was soooo relaxing compared to having them across the hall. We kept the door open most of the time, but would shut it or leave it cracked while sleeping, dressing for dinner, getting ready in the morning. We were able to get into bed, relax and read and know that when the boys came in from their late night fun, they would poke their heads in and let us know they were in for the night.

Our most recent cruise was best of all when we got a complimentary upgrade to Royal Family Suite on RCI's Radiance....that, of course, was best of all! Two separate bedrooms, living room and two and 1/2 baths! Spoiled me forever!

Anyway, you know your kids best and know whether having them across the hall will be fine or if you'll have trouble relaxing at night. Sometimes it's either worth the money to have them next to you in an adjoining balcony or worth giving up the balcony to get two adjoining cabins that are OV or insides....

Happy sailing!

Lynne

Ultimately it's up the parents, but I guess I'm just overprotective. Too much can happen to kids left on their own.

I never left my 12 or 14 year old on his own overnight at home, and I certainly wouldn't do it on a cruise ship.

There is alcohol free flowing and there are predators in all walks of life. Even if my son were a saint, which he wasn't, I wouldn't leave him alone in a room. What if???? Fire? Ship tilt? Crash?? Someone at their door in the night demanding entrance??

I would do a connecting cabin or all stay in a quad, no way would I leave them alone.

JMO, Carole

Originally Posted by serene56 viewpost.gif

People say it, because that is what they are told. I am cruising on the Conquest on July 29th. I have 2 cabins; 6483 and 6477. My pvp MADE me put an adult in each room. My children are 14, 15, 16, and 17. So, when we get on board, I have to go make the changes. I was told no exceptions. Clearly, regardless of what is posted on CC, certain pvps have different interpretations of the rules. Again, I was told that I had NO choice, and had to book this way. Also, this is my 4th time with a cabin for kids...same thing last 3 as well.

I understand why someone might say it, but the policy has been posted several times on CC, so all I'm saying is I wish people would not say this anymore.

although posted policy you will see that carnival is NOT consistent with said policies.

it works for some but not others

People only say it because it has been their exprience, a policy that is NOT followed or mis understood by 1/2 the employees means 1/2 of the cruising families are going to say this.

People will not stop saying it until all the carnival employees know the correct policy and stop making one parent put their name on the kids cabin across the hall.

When a family books with Carnival for the first time and are told they must book a adult in the cabin, they probably don't even question the PVP.

We cruised with family- son/gf and their own child (age 18 months) that 18 month old was not allowed to be booked in that cabin with her parents because someone was not over 25. so until Carnival enforces that rule across the board-- it is true-- and its not true all in the same sentence

We are another family who was told by Carnival to book one parent in each room, even though the cabins are right next door to each other. Our children are 10, 11 & 19.

Archived