Carnival shares

OK, the shares weren't purchased. I am using ETrade and the order is showing as Open. The order was lodged by Etrade at 4pm Friday (I had placed it around 1pm). The price was higher than what CCL was trading at close on NY Thursday and I see today the price fell a little further. So does anyone know why my trade didnt go through? And as it says the Global orders are for Day only, do I need to re-submit? I normally use NAB online trading, but they don't have global share access hence am using ETrade for the first time, as well as international purchase.

Help anyone?:confused:

OK, the shares weren't purchased. I am using ETrade and the order is showing as Open. The order was lodged by Etrade at 4pm Friday (I had placed it around 1pm). The price was higher than what CCL was trading at close on NY Thursday and I see today the price fell a little further. So does anyone know why my trade didnt go through? And as it says the Global orders are for Day only, do I need to re-submit? I normally use NAB online trading, but they don't have global share access hence am using ETrade for the first time, as well as international purchase.

You'd need to put a new order in if it's day only.

Are you able to put a screenshot up of the trade order details?

Dont go too far on the boards.:eek:

Think carefully before sharing private information on the internet.;)

It was ETRADE that said all global share orders were day-only orders. I would like to do another trade but the money is quarantined for this transaction. I guess I'll have to wait until Monday now.

Here is a screenshot - it says March 11 - question whether that is USA or AUS time.:confused:

etrade.jpg.6dd740557d45c23df0e2bebbd7d70a6f.jpg

Edited by Pushka

Dont go too far on the boards.:eek:

Think carefully before sharing private information on the internet.;)

Definitely, was only referring to the order details (which would not have anything beyond already discussed).

It was ETRADE that said all global share orders were day-only orders. I would like to do another trade but the money is quarantined for this transaction. I guess I'll have to wait until Monday now.

Here is a screenshot - it says March 11 - question whether that is USA or AUS time.:confused:

It does look odd to me. All the details are right, CCL is traded on the NYSE exchange as primary, all the volume last night was under the limit so I don't see why it didn't execute. I looked through their help pages, but they don't mention about when the order is executed that I could find.

I'd take the term of March 11 to mean when it will be closed if it doesn't execute, I'd expect it to be local as with the order date. With a day only order it will be flushed before market open (US time) so some time on 11th our time.

Unless someone has some experience with them, you might have to call them up. Only thing I can guess is they may take more time to process global shares and it gets done over the weekend, but I wouldn't expect it to be that way - it should be immediate.

It does look odd to me. All the details are right, CCL is traded on the NYSE exchange as primary, all the volume last night was under the limit so I don't see why it didn't execute. I looked through their help pages, but they don't mention about when the order is executed that I could find.

I'd take the term of March 11 to mean when it will be closed if it doesn't execute, I'd expect it to be local as with the order date. With a day only order it will be flushed before market open (US time) so some time on 11th our time.

Unless someone has some experience with them, you might have to call them up. Only thing I can guess is they may take more time to process global shares and it gets done over the weekend, but I wouldn't expect it to be that way - it should be immediate.

yes, i agree, it looks weird and should have processed. I checked someone else's post today and theirs were executed "overnight" ie the next day. I tried to cancel it, as all my funds are now impounded, and it said something like "careful, you are cancelling a firm order". Hmmph. No help. And their search function is useless.

Are they in Sydney or Melbourne? There is a PH in Melbourne on Monday (and in SA too)

yes, i agree, it looks weird and should have processed. I checked someone else's post today and theirs were executed "overnight" ie the next day. I tried to cancel it, as all my funds are now impounded, and it said something like "careful, you are cancelling a firm order". Hmmph. No help. And their search function is useless.

Are they in Sydney or Melbourne? There is a PH in Melbourne on Monday (and in SA too)

Their main call centre is Melbourne, but they have an office in Sydney too. As they have to have traders/staff for the Australian and offshore markets which will be open Monday, they will be open then.

I wouldn't worry about cancelling, no harm has been done and it should be purged automatically by/on Monday. Just good to know why it didn't get executed though!

Their main call centre is Melbourne, but they have an office in Sydney too. As they have to have traders/staff for the Australian and offshore markets which will be open Monday, they will be open then.

I wouldn't worry about cancelling, no harm has been done and it should be purged automatically by/on Monday. Just good to know why it didn't get executed though!

I guess I shouldn't get too antsy. I posted back in this thread in August that I was organising this, so it took me quite some time!

Thanks for the assistance The_Big_M:p

Pushka

I didn't place my order on line, I rang and got someone to place the order for me and they told me that it would take 24 hours - the info goes through to their broker and is processed overnight / next business day.

It could be that yours has been processed by now.

Cheers

Big M

did you get your share cerrtificate etc directly from the Broker ? I have no idea what it looks like and if it actually says Share Certificate or what exactly Carnival is looking for to apply the OBC

Cheers

Heather

Big M

did you get your share cerrtificate etc directly from the Broker ? I have no idea what it looks like and if it actually says Share Certificate or what exactly Carnival is looking for to apply the OBC

Yes, you get it from your broker. When you buy your transaction statement is fine if you need it straight away, otherwise your monthly statement is better (as it shows your holding is current down the line).

Yes, you get it from your broker. When you buy your transaction statement is fine if you need it straight away, otherwise your monthly statement is better (as it shows your holding is current down the line).

Thanks Big M ... a monthly statement sounds better than the piece of paper I have provided I get it by mid April. I'm guessing they send them all out at the same time rather than on the "anniversary" date of buying the shares.

Cheers

Heather

Thanks for the update, Pushka. Helpful for anyone else who uses e-trade. I expected better given how long they've been doing international shares and have established systems including in the US.

As for pricing, on the upside, prices opened at $36.18 in the US so you also got it cheaper than that.

It actually makes me very curious how they execute these trades as I would have expected they'd place your order in line with your instructions very soon after you placed it - which would have meant it would have been in when the market opened, and then executed at that price. It only got to $36.00 about 45 minutes after the market opened.

Anyway, not much difference in the scheme of things... I doubt you're planning to sell tomorrow! :-)

It actually makes me very curious how they execute these trades as I would have expected they'd place your order in line with your instructions very soon after you placed it - which would have meant it would have been in when the market opened, and then executed at that price. It only got to $36.00 about 45 minutes after the market opened.

Anyway, not much difference in the scheme of things... I doubt you're planning to sell tomorrow! :-)

Based on when I placed my order for shares, as far as I know e-trade does send it through straight away but it depends on the time of day the order is placed as to when it is actioned at the other end.

In my case, I placed the order around 9.30am and was told that the NYSE was closed but it would be dealt with overnight by the broker in the US when trade resumed on the NYSE. The rep said that if I rang e-trade about 9.30am the next day, they would be able to tell me what the result was (buy successful) as they expected to receive confirmation from the US by then.

I didn't have time to call back however I received an email the following day.

I think in Pushka's instance the delay in finding out could have been due to the order been placed on Friday AEST and e-trade not being available over the weekend.

And BTW Puska, like your stock, mine went up by about 50 cents based on the price when the NYSE closed the previous business day ... the price must have been effected by other Stock Exchanges and trades in other parts of the world ... it's something I know little about but I'm happy I got my shares and that I didn't have to pay the same rate as last year when they were nearly $40 p/share !

Cheers

Heather

Edited by dougo in oz

Based on when I placed my order for shares, as far as I know e-trade does send it through straight away but it depends on the time of day the order is placed as to when it is actioned at the other end.

The US market opens at 1:30 a.m. Sydney time (Currently. When Daylight saving changes soon, it'll be a bit earlier.)

Pushka placed her order some time before that. As it's possible for orders to be handled electronically (although with manual verification), I'm surprised it wasn't queued before the market opened then. It does make it harder to get the price you want if they take an hour to process the order on the exchange.