Dining Room Dress for Men

Malinda1229

ok so i have not been on Carnival for at least 10 years and when i did i was a single mom and i guess not paying attention to the way men dressed....I will tell you on the past 4 crusies on the Queen Mary 2 I did notice that all the men dressed in kilts thier wives/partners were in palzzao pants and sparkley tops. ANYWAY now that i have a hubster how do men dress for dinner on Carnival..assuming kilts are not the norm! thinking its a bit more casual. Please help.

I assume you are talking about "Elegant Night", formerly called "Formal Night". Men will wear anything from tuxes to slacks and Polo shirts. I think the majority wear nice slacks and a dress shirt, with or without a tie.

On the other nights, it's casual wear and you'll see anything from slacks to jeans to shorts.

Malinda1229,

Yes, it is very casual! As a matter of fact I was just helping my DH pick out some shirts from his closet for the cruise.

Except for "elegant nights" or whatever they're called, he can wear nice shorts or jeans and a shirt (tank tops and muscle-type sleeveless shirts or beat up shorts or jeans, think ripped, are not allowed). Most men wear nice shorts or khaki Docker-type pants and a polo golf-type shirt. For the dress up night it pretty much is the same except for no shorts or jeans. He will not have to wear a jacket or tie. It all depends on how much he wants to dress up as you will see men wearing nice dress pants and a nice shirt with a tie to tuxedos on dress up nights. Carnival has a very casual dress policy. As for shoes, a nice pair of sandals or sports shoe is fine but flip flops are not allowed.

You will be getting lots of responses about this subject, be prepared, they will not all be nice! Whatever your guy decides to wear, I hope you all have a wonderful cruise!

Yes on elegant night I now just wear a dress shirt and no tie..Its gotten difficult to pack with the airlines restrictions so I don't usually pack a sports coat...On any other night I wear long pants and a polo shirt, they say you need a shirt with a collar ...Now they allow jeans or shorts also on those night but ask for dress shorts...I just wish men would leave their baseball caps in their cabins....Dennis

I was on Carnival Victory a few months ago and found the dining dress code pretty darn slack. I too gave up on the Tux and dark suits about five cruises back. But the DW always wants me to carry her stuff in a jacket pocket, you know - kleenex, chapstick, reading glasses for the menu and the digital camera. So I bought a light blue searsucker jacket and even she (who must be obeyed) can wear it on deck if it's windy or cooling down in the evening. For dress-up nights I wear the searsucker with a bow-tie and other evenings without a tie. It's really the perfect cruise wear for men.

oh he will be happy to hear all this i was telling him a sport coat every night execept for the formal night where he needed a suit!! LOL! THANKS...we will be sure to leave the kilt at home!

I wear shorts and a button up short sleeve shirt for non elegant nights. For elegant nights, I wear long pants instead of shorts.

On our recent sailing on Ecstasy, DH wore khaki shorts and a polo shirt on "regular" nights. On "elegant" night he wore slacks and a dress shirt and tie. Other men at our table wore dress shirts without a tie. One wore a suit.

On my recent Miracle cruise, during casual nights men/boys wore everything from pants or shorts, and polo, button up, or hawaiian shirts. I was just looking over several photos from formal/cruise elegant night, and it seemed as the dress code was the same.

oh he will be happy to hear all this i was telling him a sport coat every night execept for the formal night where he needed a suit!! LOL! THANKS...we will be sure to leave the kilt at home!

LOL, please be on board w/ us & let him wear his kilt. Love to see guys man enough to wear one. On Legend our cruise director wore one.

My hubs just wears dress shorts or khaki type slacks w/ polo or tropical print shirt for casual nights. On elegant nights he usually wears a suit or sports jacket. But like others have said, CCL has a pretty relaxed dress code. There will be lots of men in slacks & collared shirt on elegant night- no jacket. Have a great cruise.

Archived