crusing with a 3 yr old

We are cruising next week on the Enchantment of the Seas with our 3 yr old. Any tips? This is her 1st cruise. :)

What are your concerns or what types of tips are you looking for?

Without knowing that, here is my 2 cents. Do not bring a lot of toys/stuffed friends/books. There is so much to do (Is she potty trained, will she be in AO?) We limited our kids when younger to 1 stuffed friend, 2-3 books and maybe some coloring stuff (very minimal). Most times, besides the books for nightly reading, the other toys never got touched. Do bring a stroller if she will sit in one and you are planning walking in ports. Do bring any meds from home that you think you may need. We always bring stuff for colds/coughs/tummy ache/toothache etc. You may not be able to get what your child is used to on board

Adventure Ocean offers kid-pick up (for lack of a better term) from the main dining room (1st seating) about 45 minutes into dinner. I think it's called "My FAMILY time dining" (not to be confused with "My Time Dining" which is a totally different thing. You need to contact them EVERY DAY that you want to use the service to sign your child up. When you arrive at dinner, let the server know that your child will be picked up by adventure ocean staff early, and the server will rush the child's meal. That way, you can still all eat dinner together, but after 45 minutes, when the 3 year old is likely expiring, you can run her to entrance of the dining room, where the Adventure Ocean staff will be waiting to take her up to the club. Then, you can finish your dinner in peace :D.

Other tips:

We always bring along sand pails and shovels-- we pack them in suitcases and fill them up with clothes so we don't waste space. That way, our kids always have toys for the beach.

If your child will be sleeping on a pullman bed, you might want to pack a bed rail-- the rails on the beds are not very big, and if your child is crazy sleeper, then an extra rail would be helpful.

Put out the room service breakfast card each night with a request for some small breakfast items like cereal. Our kids are used to eating breakfast first thing in the morning, so it was nice for them to have some cereal to munch on while DH and I were getting ready before we headed out for out "real" breakfast.

Throw bedtime out the window. Your child will likely go to sleep at 10:30 or 11pm each night (after the kids' club closes, and you and DH have had a chance to see the nightly entertainment). DO try to have some mid-day rest time, though. We ALL could use a nap in the middle of the day, right?? ;)

We have the kids take showers before dinner each night so they don't have to come back from a late night at kid's club and still take a shower. Have baby wipes on hand to wipe off any face paint from kids' club before you go to bed. Also, make sure she's comfortable with a shower, since unless you're in some type of suite, there are only showers in the rooms.

You will have a GREAT TIME!! --Katie

RC has a program that you can check out toys for you room. So no need to bring lost of toys. The kids program is great and in the younger programs they have a phone for communication that you Carrie. If you are having problems at dinner the windjammer does good dinners. At the main dining you can have the waiters bring your kids food out first. Then you can use family time dining. You can get sand toys for purchases before your curse that will be in your room that had a sand pail shovels a seat and hat. Take sippy cups so that drinks for you kid is easier. Take a life jacket for the pool and if you go to the beach. Have fun and don't let the little things bother you

As for the meds- GOOD POINT!! We have cruised with our 3 since the youngest was 9 months and the twins were 2- all still in diapers. I once forgot Children's Tylenol, and I could not get in on board. Even the infirmary did not have the liquid in stock, and my son is allergic to ibuprofen. And if you need pull-ups for night- bring extras just in case. THe kids get so worm out having fun that they sleep VERY deeply.

Everything is GREAT for a 3 year old! So much to see and touch- always food that they love.

I always brought tape to hang the artwork that they create in 'camp". Buckets and shovels - bring 'em and leave them behind . We would tell the steward that we were leaving them, sometimes they would set them aside for when other families came.

We have found cruising some of the most satisfying, easy vacations with our kids. Have a GREAT GREAT time!!!

These all wonderful tips! My DD is very excited and very flexable with schedule. We have been to DIsney a few times so we are used to mixing up bed abd nap times! I am hoping she likes the kid camps but know she will love eveything else.

Thanks again! you all put my minf to ease!

Not sure if your ship has Dreamworks or not, but I think your 3 yr old will do great. My DS was 11 for his 1st cruise. We waited because we just were not sure, like you how he would do. He just missed the cats:rolleyes:

The H2O Zone is soooo cool!!! Adventure Ocean is awesome too.

I would think that maybe your little one might want to go to the cabin in the afternoon and lay down and rest. She might get tired. There are Dreaworks movies on the tvs in the cabins. She can lay down in the cool and watch tv and just dose if she needs too (DH and I dosed too:D while DS watched)

Have fun!

Unfortunately Enchantment does not have Dreamworks or an H2O zone ;)

To the OP - I responded to you on the Family Board. :)

I will be waving when you get off :D

But she was the first with a Splash Zone!

2750354040041895530S600x600Q85.jpg

2496294960084531763S600x600Q85.jpg

Archived