Conde Nast's 'European River Cruise Revolution'

beverlyjack

Conde Nast's August issue has a feature article on the European River Cruise Revolution comparing 6 different European river cruise ships. It rates the Ama Waterways' AmaCerto, Avalon Panorama, Grand Circle's M.S. Bizet, Tauck's M.S. Swiss Jewel, Uniworld's S.S. Antoinette and Viking Idun. The article is http://www.cntraveler.com/cruises/2012/08/cruise-special/european-river-cruise-revolution. It has vital statistics, likes, dislikes and samples fare for all of these ships. These evaluations probably reflect to greater and lesser degrees on the rest of the ships of the cruise lines. There is also an associated article http://www.cntraveler.com/perrin-post/2012/07/river-cruise-10-things-to-know-before-you-commit#slide=1.

I have only sailed on one of these, Grand Circle's M.S. Bizet. I did a blog on that trip, http://jackthetravelingman-seine.blogspot.com. If anyone else has reports on these or other ships, perhaps they could link the here for the benefit of first time reiver cruisers.

Thanks for the link to the article! I guess we are the demographic that they were talking about. We are boomers that have done several ocean cruises, but are taking our first river cruise this Oct on Vantage. Can't wait!

We love to travel, but are getting to the point that I do not want to live out of a suitcase anymore. The river cruise seemed to be a good replacement for that. Although I can tour all day (DH has said that I was walking him to death!:rolleyes:) - he would rather take a shorter tour, then just chill. Hopefully this vacation will work out for both of us. :)

If there is anyone who wants to read some reviews on Tauck's four river boats, they can go to the Cruise Critic Member Reviews part of this board and hit on Tauck. We are off on our second Tauck River Boat trip in August and think they are tops in river cruising!!

Sheila

If anyone else has reports on these or other ships, perhaps they could link the here for the benefit of first time reiver cruisers.

Planning my first river cruise, too. Looking at AMAlegro and Avalon Creativity because we want to do Paris/Normany. Most of the other well-rated lines use there best ships on middle-European itineraries. I have looked at member reviews but I'll bet there are many of you out there who have traveled on one of these ships but haven't posted a review.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Planning my first river cruise, too. Looking at AMAlegro and Avalon Creativity because we want to do Paris/Normany. Most of the other well-rated lines use there best ships on middle-European itineraries. I have looked at member reviews but I'll bet there are many of you out there who have traveled on one of these ships but haven't posted a review.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

but a few yrs old...

After that one and AMA I just got off of...would probably go with another AMA.Just my opinion,,of course,but felt it was a little higher standard in all ways...cabin,food,excursions,entertainment,,etc.

Loved the ports...:)

SAiled on the AMAlegro in Dec. She is lovely, immaculate. Dinig room has tables for 2,4,6 and larger. It is also divided by banquettes and glass partitions so you don't feel as if you are in a large room. We were in Aquarium class--got the last 2 cabins for the sailing. Bathroom was soooo nice. If you have the same staff, Artur is a hotel manager who could train the rest of the lines. Pat

Interesting point about how "best ships" are used on middle European itineraries. A lot of where a cruise line puts a ship has to do with the rivers (locks, bridges, etc.), and you'll notice that there are no new Viking Longships, no new AMA vessels, no new Uniworld (you get the point) on French rivers.

It's not just because of demand or lack thereof. In fact, when Uniworld announced last Monday it would build two new river ships, the Rhine gets the new SS Antoinette, while the French river-to-be-named-later gets the older River Rhone.

It's also why you'll never cruise on a brand new ship on the Elbe...or at least one reason :)

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

To get into the most charming and scenic harbor on the Seine, Honfleur, even the small (120 Passenger) M.S. Bizet has to go in with both gates to the lock open, limiting the times that this lock can be traversed, as the ship is much longer than the lock. In this MAP, you can see it docked in the East Basin, by the Hotel Mercure and the locks out by the mouth of the river.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Is there a reason why you have ruled out Uniworld?

We did Paris/Normandy on the River Baroness. It was before the refurb, and we just loved the boat - even though it was a bit tired as far as decor goes.

Uniworld does an amazing job when they do a refurb - so I would consider them on par with any of the new boats.

Just my 2 cents worth here...

Fran

Interesting article. I have been on only of the six riverboats featured and agree with the review.

I was puzzled about the comment re the AmaCerto, which we will be enjoying is just 16 weeks. They reference a monitor and keyboard that is used for internet access in the cabins and that takes up needed space. On our AmaDante cruise, it was simply a keyboard used in conjunction with the flat screen TV and not a monitor. I have a difficult time believing that AMA added a separate monitor. Would like to hear from anyone that has actually been aboard to see if this is accurate. If not, it does make me wonder...

Certainly an interesting article in that it encourages a response.

First, I think she demeans the earlier river cruise experience by referring to it as a big snooze". If it was, and we never found it so, that quality was the choice of the cruiser.

Second, she complains about still being in a "tour bubble". That also would be a choice. As in activity level, generally all one has to do is walk off the ship, leave the tour groups and explore on one's own as much as desired.

Indeed, what seemed to impress her the most about the new ships, features such as movie theatres and pools, arguably would strengthen the bubble. On our Med cruises, there is always a group who dabbled in the local cultures but were obviously equally or more attracted by the ship's venues.

Third, can the necessarily smaller river ships really compete in features with the ocean ships? Well, if you limit your cruises to the larger rivers perhaps. But even there, fluctuating river depths are an issue. And you do see complaints that the on-board entertainment, understandibly, compares unfavourably to that of the larger ships.

Finally, I must stop posting that river and ocean cruising are different animals, although, as you can see, I wish they would remain so. It's clear the river cruise companies are changing in order to share that market.

Thankfully, we are not going to see an "Oasis of the River". But will we be experiencing its spirit and impact on the ports?

Is there a reason why you have ruled out Uniworld?

I did look at Uniworld and the line was also recommended by my TA. However, their cabins, with the exception of the "suites", are so tiny. I couldn't bear the thought of being in 130 sq.ft. with bed/couches. Looked like a train compartment to me.

But I appreciate everyone's "two cents"!!! Keep the advice coming!

Woops...Just realized the ship I was thinking of was the GCT Bizet, which I ruled out. The Baroness is beautiful, even tho the 130 sq.ft. seems tiny. But I will re-look! Thanks, Fran.

Carolyn, one of the reasons the older boats are on the French and Elbe rivers is because they are shallow draft boats. We were on the Elbe a few years back and a zodiac was near us--one of the kids fell out and then just stood up---water came up to his waist. The newer boats with all their bells and whistles have deeper drafts. Just remember last Dec., when so many of the new boats got stuck in Regensberg and we on the AMAlegro were like the Little Enfgine that Could. We have been river cruising for 10 years and find that the rivers in Europe are getting crowded. When we started, you cound sail from Honfleur to Paris. Now the boats stop in Reune. Thank heavens we'll never see a megariver cruiser. Pat

Interesting that's she's not really sold on this form of travel, partly because it feels to her like being on a tour, with a boat instead of a bus. Since still, at least until I'm older, I would rather slit my wrists than do a bus tour, I'm thinking this form lf cruise might be out for us, at least for another 5-10 years.

Also the remark about the passengers on her Seine cruise--the fact that they were the most interesting must be totally accidental. But what she says will make me look at some of the older, smaller ships if and when we do consider a river cruise in the future.

just a keyboard in front of TV,,,not sure what they re refering to...sure you ll love the AMAcerto...let us know..:confused:

I have to wonder then about the validity of any of her comments since she was totally inaccurate in that report.

We are incredibly excited about cruising on the AmaCerto as we loved our AmaDante cruise. I will absolutely post a review up on our return.

We were on the Grand Circle M.S. Bizet cruise that Wendy Perrin was on. She is not your typical river cruise traveler. For the most part, she got off the ship and wandered through the towns on her own, although, I believe, she was on one of our buses to Giverney, she did her own thing when she was there. She did participate as a regular traveler in shipboard activities. and was with our group for the home hosted visit and was great to have along, as her French skills helped get over a couple of things that got lost in translation. We have traveled with Grand Circle and its sister company 13 times, 5 of them river cruises and have found the people to be one of the most interesting parts, as well as the skill of their trip leaders/program directors. There was only one case that we had a complaint about one trip leader.

I did look at Uniworld and the line was also recommended by my TA. However, their cabins, with the exception of the "suites", are so tiny. I couldn't bear the thought of being in 130 sq.ft. with bed/couches. Looked like a train compartment to me.

But I appreciate everyone's "two cents"!!! Keep the advice coming!

Woops...Just realized the ship I was thinking of was the GCT Bizet, which I ruled out. The Baroness is beautiful, even tho the 130 sq.ft. seems tiny. But I will re-look! Thanks, Fran.

The Baroness does have smaller rooms - and the "spare space" isn't generous - when they put a lovely bed in there... But, we tend to travel "Aquarium Class" - and the windows in lowest category on the Baroness are very large. There are only 2 decks on the Baroness - so very little space is "under water"...

Some of the other boats might have larger cabins - and that might suit you better. But, we found we were quite happy with our cabin. Also, the total number of passengers is quite low (capacity 120) so it does provide an intimate experience. There are table for 2, 4, 6 & 8 in the dining room (at least there was when we traveled with them...) - so you can be as social as you want (or not...)

Fran

We traveled on the Baroness last June (after the refit) and found the rooms to be extremely comfortable. Yes, they are small, but they are well layed out. The beds are among the best we have had on any river cruise.

We don't spend a lot of time in cabins and would cruise on the Baroness again in a hearbeat.

FYI, the River Ambassador is laid out almost exactly the same as the Baroness and we have traveled on her twice.

And Bizet is one of the few that can even get that far; most riverboats on the Seine these days have to dock in Rouen (lovely city) and bus passengers to Honfleur. So that's a real selling point for Bizet, being so close. I'd have loved that....

Carolyn

To get into the most charming and scenic harbor on the Seine, Honfleur, even the small (120 Passenger) M.S. Bizet has to go in with both gates to the lock open, limiting the times that this lock can be traversed, as the ship is much longer than the lock. In this MAP, you can see it docked in the East Basin, by the Hotel Mercure and the locks out by the mouth of the river.

Exactly, Pacmom, re draft. Fascinating anecdote about the kid falling out!

Carolyn

Carolyn, one of the reasons the older boats are on the French and Elbe rivers is because they are shallow draft boats. We were on the Elbe a few years back and a zodiac was near us--one of the kids fell out and then just stood up---water came up to his waist. The newer boats with all their bells and whistles have deeper drafts. Just remember last Dec., when so many of the new boats got stuck in Regensberg and we on the AMAlegro were like the Little Enfgine that Could. We have been river cruising for 10 years and find that the rivers in Europe are getting crowded. When we started, you cound sail from Honfleur to Paris. Now the boats stop in Reune. Thank heavens we'll never see a megariver cruiser. Pat

Archived