Doors on Zuiderdam and Zaandam?

Appygirl

I've been on the Zuiderdam before but didn't pay attention to whether the doors were metal or wood. Does anyone know?

I'm travelling on both the Zuiderdam and the Zaandam in the next couple of months with my 81 year old father who can get a little confused at a hallway full of identical doors. I found taping balloons to the doorsill was a good reference point to aim for. I'm also considering putting a photo on the door of my horse. I can either print a magnet or regular paper. And I have tape or putty I can bring depending on the situation.

Any suggestions? My goal is not to peel the paint off the doors or sills and create maintenance issues. What's worked for others on these 2 ships?

I've been on the Zuiderdam before but didn't pay attention to whether the doors were metal or wood. Does anyone know?

I'm travelling on both the Zuiderdam and the Zaandam in the next couple of months with my 81 year old father who can get a little confused at a hallway full of identical doors. I found taping balloons to the doorsill was a good reference point to aim for. I'm also considering putting a photo on the door of my horse. I can either print a magnet or regular paper. And I have tape or putty I can bring depending on the situation.

Any suggestions? My goal is not to peel the paint off the doors or sills and create maintenance issues. What's worked for others on these 2 ships?

Didn't do door decorating on the Zaandam, but on the Zuiderdam I used earthquake putty as the door didn't seem to be magnetic.

:)

I agree about there sometimes being lots of balloons on various doors. So many people are celebrating something on their cruise.

How about a giant bow? Make it his favorite color.

Bring the ribbon and tie up/wrap the bow when you arrive to make it easy for travel.

Whenever we have found balloons on our door as a surprise to us for a birthday or anniversary, the steward or whoever attached them used scotch tape and lots of it.

A flat photo on a door halfway down a hall does not protrude to be noticeable from any distance away. Until he is actually at the door, he won't see the photo. A large bow will stick out and be easily spotted.

I don't know what those darn doors are made of but its not wood and not exactly metal as they don't seem to hold magnets well. I would bring along some tape or putty.

I think balloons are good as they stick out from the door and when he looks down the hallway he can see them.

I was on the Island Princess 18 days Fort Lauderdale to Vancouver and it was my birthday and when I arrived at my cabin there were 3 balloons taped to the side of the door. Also 3 balloons across the hall so I guess someone was having a birthday too. And probably not wanting the word to get out because the next day those balloons were also on my door! It was really convenient looking down the hall and knowing exactly where my cabin was. Until most of the elderly passengers disembarked in L.A. and the party crowd got on. Someone stole 3 of my balloons the next day. :mad:

I have a couple of big ribbons that I can bring too. I put them on my horses one year at Christmas and I think they're with the Christmas decorations.

So it looks like I should buy a couple of ballons and bring a roll of packing tape with me. And maybe a picture of one of the animals on the door. He'll like that.

Too often we have seen quite a doors that have the balloons on them. Your father could get very confused if he sees a bunch of doors with balloons on them. And we have seen kids run up and down the hall breaking the balloons.

Something flat on the door like a photo -- he might have to go up and down the hall until he finds that door.

The bow idea is a good one.

We spent Christmas on the Zaandam, and I got into the spirit by decorating our cabin door like a giant present.

The bow was clearly visible from some distance away. We used regular sticky tape (on the inside of the cabin) and it lasted for a couple of weeks, until we pulled it all down.

6975316397_57404d82b2.jpg

Cheers,

:o Aww shucks ... creative is not a word usually used to describe me ...

It is just a roll of wrapping paper, some ribbon and a big bow, all sourced from bargain shops. The hardest part was taking the wrapping paper on the plane as carry on, it was just awkward to carry! My husband gave me a hand, and with the absolute minimum of cursing, we managed to create a talking point for those nearby on our deck. A few people thanked us to help them locate their own cabins! :)

Door decorating is a regular thing on our RSVP charters and they actually encourage it with a door decorating competition. :)

We have used various tapes and adhesives and have not had anything that cause damage. Even duct tape comes off easily and if there is some glue residue it is easily removed by rubbing it into a ball with your fingers. For just a photo, clear tape (single or double sided) or poster adhesive will work well.

Archived