Leaving cruise early question

SuwaneeCard

We have arranged with HAL to leave our Med cruise one day early in Naples so that we can make an early AM flight the next day from FCO. Does anyone know how the ship handles our check-out? Specifically, I am concerned about our luggage for the day. I have rented a car for the day and the trip up to FCO but really don't feel safe hauling luggage around in the car. Will the ship allow us access all day until all aboard (we could then leave our bags in our cabin) or will they kick us out first thing in the morning?

This is the absolute last piece of the planning puzzle. Thanks.

For me it was the Prinsendam and things may vary from ship to ship and port to port. First, don't assume that HAL has informed the ship of your plans. Keep a copy of your permission for early departure and review it with the front desk early in your voyage. I know when I left the Prinsendam (Edinburgh) I met with immigration when we first arrived in port but HAL allowed me access to the ship as long as I wanted. I think I cleared immigration around 8 and left around 10, to get my hotel at a good checkin time. If your experience varies it will probably be due to conditions imposed by the authorities.

You should get a letter the night before you leave detailing the exact procedure for leaving the ship. I was self sufficient but was offered assistance with baggage if needed.

Roy

I agree you should verify with the Front Office early in your cruise of your plans for early departure. Bring your written permission to show them.

They must assure there will be Italian Customs and Immigration Officials to clear you when you wish to leave the ship. They will advise when you should present yourself.

It is probably up to those officials whether you will be permitted to return to the ship/terminal to claim your luggage later in the day.

We've disembarked a few different HAL ships early, all in our homeport a day before the scheduled disembarkation in another port. In each instance, our TA had made prior arrangements and we had a confirmation letter from HAL Seattle indicating that we had authority to leave early. The letter instructed us to present ourselves to the Front Desk once on-board to confirm our arrangements. We were able to select our own departure times, except once when HAL gave a specific time, which we later learned was not accurate or necessary. Your actual disembarkation will be driven by the availability of local authorities in your specific port.

Archived