What to do in Florance

hexdragon

I will have a single day in Florence. I have been in town many years ago and saw the Domo and the Uffizi. What else is there to see?

I saw the opening of "The Agony and the Ecstasy" which details many of Michelangelo's work. It mentioned the Medici Tombs (Dusk/Dawn, Night/Day). I Googled them and it appears it is in Florence too. Is it worth seeing? How close is it to the Domo?

The entrance to the Medici tombs is located on Via del Canto dei Nelli, two-tenths of a mile from the Duomo (it's the back side of the church of San Lorenzo). The chapels are one of the most stunning sites in Florence (of which there are many) and are well worth a visit.

If you like museums, we really enjoyed the Pitti museum in Florence. I don't know if it's still going on, but at least in May, their special exhibit was the influence of Japanese art on European impressionists. (Two of my favorite types of art). Also, general admission allows entrace to all those rooms of the Medici treasures as well as the nice gardens.

The Academia, you must see David and the musical instrument collection

The Laurentian library designed by Michelangelo for Lorenzo The sculpted staircase has to be seen to be believed

http://www.bml.firenze.sbn.it/

AND it is next door to the tombs.

and my favoite

The Ferragamo museum

http://www.museumsinflorence.com/musei/Ferragamo_museum.html

Cindy, charter member of the Imelda Marcos Fan Club according to DH:D

If you have been there already- do the Cinque Terre. Not sure if you are going to be in Livorno that day- but I loved our excursion there.

My best experiences in Florence were just walking around. Window shopping, eating gelatto, walking around the grounds of the Pitti Palace and the food is excellent there. Wild Boar is their specialty and we had fantastic bruscetta.

Besides the Duomo and the Uffizi (and the Accademia with Michaelangelo's David and the Prisoners)...lots and lots of beautiful Renaissance and Medieval art in museums and also the churches. Some examples: the Duomo Museum for Ghilberti's original bronze doors and many sculptures, the Brancacci Chapel for huge frescoes, (reservations needed), Santa Maria Novella (near the train station), Santa Croce (across Ponte Vecchio) for Michaelangelo's and Galileo's tombs and Giotto's massive altar piece, and Orsanmichele on Via de'Calzaiuoli, the pedestrian-only street. In fact, you can just stroll down Calzaiuoli and admire the architecture from the Duomo all the way to the Uffizi without even going inside. If you want a break from Renaissance art, check out the Galileo Science Museum (next to the Uffizi) to see his telescopes and other inventions.

Regarding the Medici Tombs -- in the Church of San Lorenzo? Not sure if that is what you are asking about the location, but if so, yes, it is within walking distance of the Duomo, north near the Accademia.

How long does it take to walk from the Duomo to the Accademeia ?

Archived