Xbox or Playstation

crusinfamof4

Hello, I am pretty certain I have seen other posts with the same question, maybe? But our DSs will have their own cabin in November, right across from ours. They want to bring the Playstation with them to play video games. Does anyone know if there are hookups in the cabins? Does CCL even allow this? I told them I cannot remember seeing any connections on the TV in the Dream last year, so I am not sure if they would even be able to bring it.

In the past our son, who is an avid gamer, has always brought his set up of both systems and been able to hook them up to the set with his own AV cables. However on the last cruise on Freedom that was no longer possible. While they were able to hook it up with some careful shuffling there was no input selection button on the TV or the remote to allow access to switch the AV cable for input so alas no gaming access. This was in a regular inside room, the same thing for our balcony cabin.

That said some of the suites might have DVD access and input availability. That would allow the input needed.

All ships might not have gone to the new remotes but Freedom has for sure.

On Valor we ran into that problem and the Steward simply brought him a different remote and he had access.

While there may be plenty to do in some people's minds each person is different and if the teen wants to game, let them :)

it shouldn't matter if there is an Input switch on the remote as if the TV itself has a Menu, you can toggle into different set ups. All you need to know is if the TV'S have A/V inputs, and if so, if Carnival provides them. If not, just bring your own. Video Games hook up the same way as DVD players do. Also do make sure your XBox and PS3 have the Red/White A/V outputs as they are also both HD capable...

That's what I'm telling you...they have disabled the Menu on the TVs on the Freedom to be able to change to AV input selection as well as the remotes.

Not sure how or why but all three rooms same thing.

Also on the Valor but the steward had a special remote, one the staff uses, that worked. Prior to those cruises we had no issues.

Do your sons happen to have handheld gamers like the PSP or the new Vita? that might satisfy their separation anxiety:p. I've told my gamer son he's leaving the systems at home and I'm discouraging the handheld as well but will relent on it if needed. I've pretty much convinced him by pictures and excursion descriptions that he'll be busy with lots of other stuff.

I would think if it's that big of a deal, get a $7 universal remote from the store, program it to the tv brand on board, and change the input. If the kid is a gamer, they probably know how to do it or can figure it out fast.

I'll be up on deck enjoying the scenery

I'm sure that's what he'll do next time, which may or may not work depending on what they have done. As he's a gamer and software programmer, I'm sure he can manage.

I was just advising the OP on our experience to aid her in her decision.

I hope YOU enjoy the scenery...again different strokes for different folks.

While there may be plenty to do in some people's minds each person is different and if the teen wants to game, let them :)

I agree. It's up to the parent to decide if it's okay for his or her kids to bring a system. People continually complain about kids taking over the ship and running wild. I would much rather they were in their cabins playing video games than screaming in the halls! :p That said, my kids haven't taken anything other than handhelds when we cruise, but we've taken a console on roadtrips. It comes in handy for the down times. :)

I agree. It's up to the parent to decide if it's okay for his or her kids to bring a system. People continually complain about kids taking over the ship and running wild. I would much rather they were in their cabins playing video games than screaming in the halls! :p That said, my kids haven't taken anything other than handhelds when we cruise, but we've taken a console on roadtrips. It comes in handy for the down times. :)

I also agree! It's the kids vacation too and if they wanna game let them game! My 10 yr. old has been on 6 cruises and sometimes wants some downtime in the cabin to relax and do what HE enjoys. There is a lot to do on the ship but there is also time for gaming if that's what makes them happy :) He doesn't complain when I sit out on the lido for hours listening to music and enjoying the hairy chest contest so I'm not going to complain if he wants to go back to the cabin and play video games for a while. It's all about compromise and moderation!

Thanks for the replies. I talked to my DH last night, he said our DS could bring it. He litterally only plays right before going to bed. So I am sure he will get lots of socialization time in. And of our two sons, he is the one who won't be playing video games at his wedding, his brother, that's a horse of a different color, but then again he loves cruising so bringing the playstation is a non issue for him. 102 days to go!!!!

The OP didn't ask for our opinions of bringing the item. They asked if they could and would it work. Everyone lives differently, live and let live.

My "son" is 19, a college student who most likely programmed some of the software you use on a daily basis since he's been doing it since he was 14. If he likes to gamble on the ship but he enjoys his gaming, so if he wants to bring it, what's it to you and who are YOU to say that's wrong...please.

My children were raised just fine without the parenting of a forum board:D

Hello, I am pretty certain I have seen other posts with the same question, maybe? But our DSs will have their own cabin in November, right across from ours. They want to bring the Playstation with them to play video games. Does anyone know if there are hookups in the cabins? Does CCL even allow this? I told them I cannot remember seeing any connections on the TV in the Dream last year, so I am not sure if they would even be able to bring it.

You can hook it up. You may want to bring a splitter for the electrical outlet.

ETA: At least it will keep them away from the ice cream machines... ;-)

Go ahead and bring the system.

In spite of what everyone else says, there is plenty of downtime on cruise.

It is not 24/7 action.

All TV's have inputs but your remote might not have an imput selection(they dumb it down for everyone).

Bring a universal remote and program it yourself or ask the room guy to bring you another remote.

• 1 year later...

An even better solution if you travel a lot would be a a portable system. Comes with 15.5" LCD screen with built in speakers, rigid case to protect your system in your luggage or you can carry the system on. They have several models. This is the one I have http://www.amazon.com/G155-Gaming-Entertainment-Mobile-included-Playstation-3/dp/B004XGN8W4/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1381102867&sr=8-5&keywords=Gaems. I think I paid $119 for mine and it worked great. The best part when we get home it serves as an extra place for the kids to play and not tie up the main tv's

Just off the Magic a week ago. The LCD TV has a special computer type box hooked up to the TV that is used for the room service, check sail and sign, etc on the back of the TV. It blocks any way to hook up any devices. Also, I was unable to switch the AV or INPUT with the TV or remote.

Seems impossible to hook up, at least on the Magic.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Even as an adult, I have PLENTY of down time on a cruise. And while, yes, you may plan it as a family vacation, I don't ALWAYS want to be around my kids because, hey, it's my vacation too! That said, if they want to bring the Playstation, the Xbox, AND the handhelds, by all means, let them (unless of course, it costs you extra in luggage fees, LOL). I force my child to do enough crap at home. The one place I allow minimum restrictions to games or anything else, is on vacation.

That said, we were recently on the Breeze and while we could hook up the Xbox, we could not change the input. And, by the way, my husband brought the game system along, not the kid. I do love the idea of using a universal remote control. We'll have to try that next time!

Meh, nothing wrong with the kids bringing the portable systems. They can play if there's travel involved to/from the port and here and there throughout the day. There's plenty of time to do cruise stuff, family stuff, and still unwind a bit if they like playing with those things. Mine certainly do. That said, there's no way I would be willing to cart a big system that had to be hooked up to a television. That is o-u-t. Don't even ask. Besides, camp carnival has all of those game systems for the kids to play with. At least they did on the Sensation.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if the Fantasy has the ability to hook up game consoles? I did read through the whole thread and saw it was suggested to bring a universal remote, which sounds easy enough. My hubby and two boys are going on a guys only cruise and want to play together in the evenings before bed. Never sailed Carnival before so wondering what capabilities were on Fantasy as I have come to understand it's one of the older ships in the fleet.

I always thought that it was against Carnival policy to bring playstations, etc except if in a suite due to compatibility issues. Did the policy change?

From Carnival Faqs:

• DVDs/VCRs/Nintendo/Play Units: Due to compatibility issues with stateroom televisions, these items can only be utilized in suites and guests must provide their own RCA cables

I can understand why Carnival won't allow access to the menu screens on the TV's. Just think if you get someone who thinks it would be FUN to change all the settings for the next guest. After every sailing the Room Stewards would have to go and check every TV, that would be a pain the a$$. Now just allowing guest to use it for input, shouldn't mess with the settings. My teenager loves his games too, but we have decided not to let him bring them, it's a hassle for starters, but we want him to enjoy our company we force upon him....bahaha He did bring his IPod with some games he could play without wifi.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Just FYI on generic hookup on the Splendor, as I usually bring along the HDMI to hookup the Sony Viao netbook while traveling to playback ripped DVD videos & MP4's, etc.

HDMI port was accessible (tight squeeze from the bottom of the wall mounting, mini LED flashlight made it helpful to see) but firmware disabled - either on the "Viewsonic" HDTV monitor and/or the standard Interactive TV Remote in the cabin.

The in-cabin signal to the monitor is via the Component (digital) Input (BGR) plus audio, which I usually don't carry on road trip/cruises (I've since left my regular RGG TV monitor cable at home too, as it's likely disabled) to see whether that will work. If it does, you will have no access to TV signal & cannot view your Folio, watch CNN or ship's webcam or NAV info on Ch. 3 and 4, etc. until it's disconnected. And, the way the cables are run is that it is NOT going to be easy to disconnect & reconnect the behind the set wires.

It's unlikely that an inexpensive $19.99 RCA or Sony-branded "univesal" remote will work in re-programming the monitor to change the input, these "exclusive" TV monitors are made for the hotel/cruise ship market and default codes for the Viewsonic, if it exist at all - at best questionable on whether it will work. But, if the kids must get PS3 or Xbox working, do try it by all means - or, check your own 20" or 22" monitor in the luggage & plug it in - along with the multi-plug adapter for that single 110 volt wall outlet.

Just my two cents, of course, YMMV.

An even better solution if you travel a lot would be a a portable system. Comes with 15.5" LCD screen with built in speakers, rigid case to protect your system in your luggage or you can carry the system on. They have several models. This is the one I have http://www.amazon.com/G155-Gaming-Entertainment-Mobile-included-Playstation-3/dp/B004XGN8W4/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1381102867&sr=8-5&keywords=Gaems. I think I paid $119 for mine and it worked great. The best part when we get home it serves as an extra place for the kids to play and not tie up the main tv's

I agree with this. We have this same carrying case/tv. I'm almost ashamed to admit it but it was DH that took it on our cruise last week not my son. This is his form of entertainment and if that's what he wants to so while I'm at the pool or reading a book or whatever, then so be it. My son did play it while everyone was getting ready for dinner or right before bed as well as DH.

We set it up on the desk and they set on the stool playing it. The PS3 would not connect to the wireless internet though although the internet guy said it would. The iPad connected to the internet no problem.

DH just carried it on/off the ship with no problems.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Archived