Juneau

quiltsnh

One of the most interesting things we did on our trip was visit the MacAulay Salmon Hatchery.

http://dipac.net/index.html

It was a wonderful look into the complex biology and cultural issues surrounding this much put upon resource.

Really fascinating, and they had really nicely designed T's and Hoodies. I was happy to spend my souvenir dollars with this amazing nonprofit.

Pick up a tub of the salmon spread and some crackers, made a great snack!

You can take the city bus from right near the piers to the hatchery for 3.00 round trip, or take a shuttle bus.

The Brewery was fun as well if you like beer. That was a bit further down the road and a short walk from the main road. There is a shuttle from in town to that as well, but if you want to visit both the bus is the easiest way and the most economical. Take the bus from downtown to the hatchery, then from the hatchery (hospital stop) to the brewery and then ride straight back into town. That would bring your bus fare up to 4.50 a person round trip.

If you have time you can go on to Mendenhall on the bus line, but it is a mile walk in from the bus stop to the glacier.

If the weather is good, the tram would be great. as Budget Queen suggested, you would have plenty of time to expore Mendenhall Glacier . Harv and Marv may pick You up there, worth asking. It is a regular stop for them on the way back to the ship after your tour. You could take the blue shuttle bus for a nominal fee.

Normally the shuttle begins at 9am from what I've read, but someone on here suggested they vary based on ships in port.

I called the Mendenhall Glacier shuttle office and inquired specifically about Sun Aug 26th (Island Princess docks at 6:30am). They did ask date and cruise ship and told me it would begin at 8am that day.

We also want to go to Mendenhall before our whale watch at 10 (with Orca). Orca is picking us up at Mendenhall, so we should have about 1-1/2 hrs at the glacier based on 25-30 minute transit time to get there. Or if weather is nice and taxi is available, we might go out earlier. Shuttle bus price for 2 people one way ($16) would be less than 1/2 the price of taxi, (guesstimated at $35-40) unless we pick up another couple interested in same plan.

Shuttle bus office told me to catch it at a small stand near the tram office and it is about 2 blocks to the left of where Princess will dock.

We rented a minivan from Juneau Car Rental (formerly Rent-A-Wreck) for $92 (including tax). If you would like something smaller, they rent cars for $52.75 (again, tax included). We had 6 people which turned out cheaper than paying for the shuttle up to the glacier. It was great! We had the freedom of visiting the salmon hatchery and Mendenhall glacier on our terms with a bit of sight-seeing in between. It is a bit of a hike to where they are located. Just think of it as walking off all that extra food you eat on the boat. They are a friendly and a trust worthy business. I will definitely rent from them again the next time we are there.

We are in Juneau from 6:30 - 4:00 and are doing Harv and Marv whalewatch from 10-2 is there anything we can do before or after? Do we have time for Mt. Roberts?

I would take a taxi to Mendenhall and then, as others have recommended, have Harv and Marv pick you up at Mendenhall for your whale watch tour. It has been reported here many times that they will do this if you arrange it ahead of time. (Reconfirm before you head to AK.) When you get from the whale watch you can determine if you have the time and if the weather is good enough to warrant going up the tram. You will have to be onboard your cruiseship by 3:30 p.m. for a 4:00 p.m. departure. (Make sure you look at the return time on the sign as you leave the ship. On our cruise their was a change in time at one port, from what was originally reported.)

Archived