A crazy question about Portofino's

Are you able to get it "to go"?

Not sure if we will be able to get a babysitter and don't want to bring the kids so plan B might be to wait until the kids are asleep and bring it back to our room and eat on our private balcony.

Is this even possible?

I know I will be the whole experienc and ambiance but it would be better than nothing.

Are you able to get it "to go"?

Not sure if we will be able to get a babysitter and don't want to bring the kids so plan B might be to wait until the kids are asleep and bring it back to our room and eat on our private balcony.

Is this even possible?

I know I will be the whole experienc and ambiance but it would be better than nothing.

Yes, you can, but youll have to take all your plates...ect.

I think it may depend on the ship. A couple of years go I was on Adventure and DD was suffering evening sickness associated with her pregnancy. The waitress would not allow us to take dessert back to the room. On raising this with the Maitre d' we were able to have dessert on a subsequent evening, brought to us in Windjammer

Has anyone actually done this?

I kind of doubt they would allow it. Being as the cover charge is per person, it seems like some people (not me) might see it as a way for three or four people to try Portofino and only pay for two.

Staff might suspect this anyway.

I know you would only be taking two meals, but I'm guessing they would not allow three people to share two meals in the dining room.

Just my brain running, I have no idea.

Just bear in mind...unless you are in a big suite with a dining room table, there's no place to eat comfortably....your coffee table or teeny patio table will NOT hold plates for 2.....eating "in cabin" is not what it's cracked up to be, unless you have a big suite.

I can't comment on Portofino's specifically, but I was ill one evening last cruise, and when DH went to MDR to let our waitstaff know that we would not be at dinner, they sent full meals for both of us (apps, main, and dessert!) back with him- they wouldn't let him leave without the food! I would think Portofino's would allow the same, seeing as it's a fee-based restaurant. Good luck!

Has anyone actually done this?

I kind of doubt they would allow it. Being as the cover charge is per person, it seems like some people (not me) might see it as a way for three or four people to try Portofino and only pay for two.

Why would "they" even care? You are paying extra for the meals--so what if they are shared by another person or two or three. Food on a cruise is a very plentiful commodity. Maybe that third and fourth person might absolutely love the food and make their own reservation at Portofino!

Why would "they" even care? You are paying extra for the meals--so what if they are shared by another person or two or three. Food on a cruise is a very plentiful commodity. Maybe that third and fourth person might absolutely love the food and make their own reservation at Portofino!

If 4 people are going to sit at a table, then 4 people will each be charged a cover charge for that particular restaurant. The only way you can get around that is if you are a D+/PC Member and both husband and wife use their BOGO coupon on the first night and take another couple. Then you will only pay for 2 meals.

My husband and I were at Portofino's one evening eating dinner. We saw a couple come in restaurant very under dressed (shorts, t-shirts, swimsuits with cover-ups, flip flops). They were seated at the table next to us. We thought their attire was very odd for this type of restaurant. But the restaurant was slow, so we thought they were probably thinking at least they have some patrons. Well, it turned out that they were just sitting down long enought to order their food "to go". So the waiter took their order, had everything packaged and off they went. In fact, they ordered a third meal for thier 3-year old "daugther". :rolleyes:

Just bear in mind...unless you are in a big suite with a dining room table, there's no place to eat comfortably....your coffee table or teeny patio table will NOT hold plates for 2.....eating "in cabin" is not what it's cracked up to be, unless you have a big suite.

Or an aft cabin!

We did this with dessert last year on Voyager and it wasn't a problem one night but was a separate night.

I think it depends on the ship/waiter.

I know we can order from the MDR menus while staying in GS or above, but can you order "in suite" from the speciality places like Chops or Portofinos (and I get you would have to pay the surcharges)? Never thought to ask this before.

I know we can order from the MDR menus while staying in GS or above, but can you order "in suite" from the speciality places like Chops or Portofinos (and I get you would have to pay the surcharges)? Never thought to ask this before.

I'm going to say no. These menus are not provided in the suites like the MDR menus are. Also the food for these restaurants is on a different deck. I think you would need to go get your food yourself.

Well, it turned out that they were just sitting down long enought to order their food "to go". So the waiter took their order, had everything packaged and off they went. In fact, they ordered a third meal for thier 3-year old "daugther". :rolleyes:

Well, that is certainly interesting. But I still doubt two adults could sit at the table and ask to pay one cover and share the one meal, but I also suspect it's all up to someone's discretion.

I have gone to Chops and then had my friend become sick and couldn't stay. They had no problem packing it up to go. Also, I have never been to a specialty restaurant that didn't offer to pack up dessert for me when I said I was too full. They have always been extremely accommodating.

Archived