Widows of Veterans

pamwinn

Just one curious question - How would they prove their eligibility. Military members show their DD 214 forms that all members receive when leaving the service. How would a spouse prove that they were eligible for this type of OBC???? A marriage certificate would not prove anything by itself even with a spouses DD214. After all divorces do happen.

They took many cruises together, mostly Carnival, and they both received a discounted price. She did participate as an Army wife. She lived in Japan and Germany and half the states in the US. She is granted some benefits on some other cruise lines. This Princess military benefit is new and different. Thanks for the replies.

It would be nice, if they gave the benefits to the wives of soldiers killed in action.

I believe that people should read what is being offered by Princess regarding that "special military" OBC. It is for ACTIVE DUTY, RETIRED, AND DISABLED veterans (which means a VA disability rating), not everyone that ever put on a uniform and was discharged with a DD214, nor their widows or dependants.

Just one curious question - How would they prove their eligibility. Military members show their DD 214 forms that all members receive when leaving the service. How would a spouse prove that they were eligible for this type of OBC???? A marriage certificate would not prove anything by itself even with a spouses DD214. After all divorces do happen.

I'm not at all advocating that spouses should get it, but I do have a retired spouse ID that has to be renewed every few years (whereas DH's is good forever).

I guess that should keep me on my toes!:p

I believe that people should read what is being offered by Princess regarding that "special military" OBC. It is for ACTIVE DUTY, RETIRED, AND DISABLED veterans (which means a VA disability rating), not everyone that ever put on a uniform and was discharged with a DD214, nor their widows or dependants.

So, I went to the Princess site and downloaded the benefit application form ... and I read what Princess is offering. In addition to active/retired/disabled, the benefit also is available to ...

"Veterans with an honorable discharge serving a minimum of 2 years or 6 months in an active war zone , or an educational discharge if within 90 days of their normal separation date in any of the applicable service divisions listed above (United States Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard, National Guard or Reserves, Canadian National Defense and the British Army, Royal Marines, Royal Navy, Royal Air Force or Reserves)"

So, while it may not be available to widows, it certainly is offered to other than active/retired/disabled.

Well shepp I not only disagree with you but as a veteran of someplace close or exceeding the 24 months in a war zone I flat a-- disagree with you.

And in my humble opinion Princess is not just giving this to vets and they should to retired ones and then to their wives. Princess is coming to the for front and IMO saying "you have earned this, thank you". And I would agree with them.

Folks IMO there is a difference between soldiers, sailors, marines, etc who can be thrown into horrible war almost overnight and at 18 years old and police and fire fighters who are heroes in their own right.

I hope they are awarded the discount.

I stand corrected. Although the it was stated in the initial requirements on the Princess Website for the "military" OBC, that only ACTIVE DUTY, RETIRED, AND VA RATED veterans would be entitled to the OBC, the submittal papers included those with 2 years prior service, 6 months in a combat zone and those discharged for educational purposes also.

I stand corrected. Although the it was stated in the initial requirements on the Princess Website for the "military" OBC, that only ACTIVE DUTY, RETIRED, AND VA RATED veterans would be entitled to the OBC, the submittal papers included those with 2 years prior service, 6 months in a combat zone and those discharged for educational purposes also.

In any case, if the OP can manage to get the discount for her Mum (military widow), good luck to her.

All this over a small OBC. It's a nice "thank you" - not something "earned" as gertz noted. It's no different than a restuarant providing thank you meals, or discounts for events. And actually, it's not just the military OBC's, there are other ones offered at times such as teachers and union members. People in the travel industry also get similar perks. Combine this with a Senior discount and a widow could get a nice massage.

Archived