Question on the Cape Liberty Cruise Port (Bayonne, NJ)

Title39

I had an opportunity yesterday to drive through the Bayonne Cruise Terminal area. There were no cruise ships in port but there were plenty of parked cars, presumably current cruisers. The vehicles were all parked in a secure, fenced-in lot next to the large tents in the embarkation area. What I found interesting was that every vehicle had a car cover placed over it. Is this something they normally do? I've only parked a vehicle on one cruise, in the Port of Philadelphia, and I don't think they covered it.

Could you have been looking at a lot used for new car storage?

I think you may have hit on it. Many imported cars arrive at the port in Bayonne, and there are large storage lots for them. They may be using one of the lots near the cruise terminal for that purpose.

I think you may have hit on it. Many imported cars arrive at the port in Bayonne, and there are large storage lots for them. They may be using one of the lots near the cruise terminal for that purpose.

I don't think so. From what I could see, there were a variety of different cars which displayed license plates from several states. I've never parked at this terminal, so I'm not sure where the cruisers park, but this lot was the closest to the embarkation tent. Also, these covers weren't like the kind of wrappings you see on new vehicles during their shipping. The covers actually looked a little worn. Maybe this is something they do after the cruisers set sail and then remove prior to their return. Could be used to deter or discourage would be theives from targeting cars with valuables in plain view? Just thought it was interesting.

I've both parked there and dropped off family members at the cruise terminal many times and I've never seen anything remotely near every car having a car cover. A few cars, yes, but every car, no.

I guess I shouldn't have said every car because I'm sure I only saw a fraction of the cars as I drove by. From what I could see though, there weren't any not covered.

Perhaps they cover the cars when they are painting. I have read here that several people have had their cars damaged by paint when they paint the ships that are in dry dock. Hubby and I just left this parking lot 2 weeks ago and our car was absolutely filthy (but paintless!). It seems unlikley that a cover had been over it at all. We were parked as close to the luggage area as you could get. So close the luggage porter wheeled all of our bags right to the car, as it was faster that way then to wait for hubby to get the car and then wait in the line of cars!

Archived