Wondering what,if any, sea life you see while out to sea? ( dolphin's,whales,etc? )

Hey CC!

DS asked if he'll get to see any sea life from the boat while at sea? Our first cruise is coming up on August 25th on the Carnival Dream ( eastern itinery).

I love these boards, so much information here but I haven't seen anything on this topic.

Thx in advance :D

Jolene

You may see flying fish....that's the most likely. Dolphins are common close to shore, in shallower waters. Whales....don't count on that at all, especially, in the summer....they "summer" in colder waters, where the feeding is good. But...do bring binoculars....there are lots of things to see at sea..other ships, islands you'll pass....it's nice to be able to bring them in a bit closer!

Hey CC!

DS asked if he'll get to see any sea life from the boat while at sea? Our first cruise is coming up on August 25th on the Carnival Dream ( eastern itinery).

I love these boards, so much information here but I haven't seen anything on this topic.

Jolene

I could happen. We have seen dolphins a couple of times.

One of the funniest things that we have seen was a pair of doves that boarded the ship in Mobile and sailed to Cozumel with us. I have pictures of them perched on a rail. They migrated south without flying a mile.

Thank you both for the quick reply's :)

Flying fish sound coollll.

Lazy dove's,haha, pretty cute they stayed with the ship for the trip.

Guess we'll keep our eyes open just in case. Now I need to add binocular's to our "to get list" !

Hey CC!

Jolene

One time leaving Playa Del Carmen, Mexico, we saw Dolphins in from of the ship.

One and only time out of 11 cruises.

We are always looking out specially on sea days, but have not seeing

anything out there except a big beautiful open sea.

One time leaving Playa Del Carmen, Mexico, we saw Dolphins in from of the ship.

One and only time out of 11 cruises.

We are always looking out specially on sea days, but have not seeing

anything out there except a big beautiful open sea.

Thank you for replying :)

Guess we'll be lucky if we do happen to see anything and if we don't, oh well. We're still on vacation with tons to do and see :D

In May last year, I was having dinner in P&O's Arcadia off California, in a perfect table looking out of the stern windows, when dozens of dolphins decided to have a play in the wake. There were certainly over 50 of them, leaping about in perfectly timed groups of half a dozen or so. It lasted about 10 minutes.

Hey CC!

Jolene

On Panama Cruise I say dolphins, a couple of sea turtles, lots of flying fish (so fun to watch) and improbably a large Marlin jump out of the water. Binoculars are a must have. I stand at the rail of my balcony for hours and just scan the horizon and water line. On that same trip we also had brown footed boobies (large sea birds) that rode the airstream coming off the bow of the ship and dived to eat the flying fish.

But, on my TA cruise from the the Med to FL...nothing. So keep your eyes peeled, you never know.

Have a wonderful cruise.

It is incredibly hard to see whales or dolphins at any distance at all from the ship unless you are really, really, really lucky. Whales don't break the surface all that much, though you might see the mist from their spout. A full breach is rare on a good day, and happening to be looking at exactly the right spot at exactly the right moment, well you get the picture.

What you can do is get somewhere where you can look down at the cutwater -- the area right around the bow as you are cruising. Sometimes dolphins will play and swim along in that area, and I have seen hammerhead sharks swimming in that bow wake as well. If they are there, you are sure to be able to see them.

We've seen Dolphins on a transatlantic about half way across and then in the Med. They were always really close and liked to swim along the side but near the front. On the transatlantic, I did ask the Captain about whales but he said we weren't near the migration routes. We also saw flying fish on a couple of days during the transatlantic. We may have been lucky to see so many Dolphins.

We were on the carnival freedom and we saw 5 whales out in a distance from the ship. you could see the black and white on them but mostly just kept seeing them blowing out there blowholes lol we also had to stop on the ship because the captain saw something in the water it ended up being a whole bunch of balloons together. we started going again and an hour later the ship stopped again this time there was a man in a make shift raft and the cruise ship had to rescue him omg what a site that was they ended up bringing him on the ship with us and then the coast guard met up with the ship a little bit later so i guess you never know what you will see out at sea

I've seen dolphins, flying fish, turtles. On one cruise we'd been on board for a few days and not seen any dolphins at all. I was standing by the balcony rail with my husband and just said: "Oh, come on dolphins, where are you?" and immediately several dolphins leapt out of the water right by the ship! There was a large group of them and they followed along with the ship for quite a way.

What you can do is get somewhere where you can look down at the cutwater -- the area right around the bow as you are cruising. Sometimes dolphins will play and swim along in that area, and I have seen hammerhead sharks swimming in that bow wake as well. If they are there, you are sure to be able to see them.

Like this?

Dolphins.jpg

and may as well add

Orca.jpg

A secret from a veteran cruiser - I use this ploy anytime we're at sea, I'm at the pool and thirsty and there is a long line at the bar . . . .

walk to the rail and stare out to sea for a few seconds then yell, "LOOK HONEY, WHALES"

as everyone around the pool runs to the side of the ship, move immedately to the now empty pool bar and order your libation.... watch out for sudden listing of the ship as everyone runs to one side . . .

added fun - at dinner listen to the conversation at all the tables around you: did you see the whales this afternoon? Oh yes, there were 6 weren't there? Oh NO, I saw at least 9 . . . . . :p

Thank you everyone for the great feedback :D .

Capt BJ- We'll have to remember the "look there's something in the water" trick in mind in case there's long lines.haha....Can't imagine that would go over too well though! ( Have you REALLY ever done that?) lol

Thank you everyone for the great feedback :D .

Capt BJ- We'll have to remember the "look there's something in the water" trick in mind in case there's long lines.haha....Can't imagine that would go over too well though! ( Have you REALLY ever done that?) lol

actually I usually SEE things other's can't

must be a result of years at sea

a few years ago at Pt Reyes National park I was talking to a ranger asking if whale sightings were happening at the time.

She replied "no", she had not seen one yet that year. Her back was to the water. I was looking past her, out to sea . . .

I replied, "well there are 3 right there . . . " I saw the spouts about 10 miles away and they swam right to us and played under the cliffs off the lighthouse for about an hour . . .

eat your carrots boys and girls.

yes I HAVE done it .... and it WORKS

We have spent a lot of time on cruise ships and have seen more then our share of dolphins and various types of whales. But the strangest thing of all happened last year when we were sitting in the Crows Nest of the Prinsendam cruising near Norway when suddenly we saw what appeared to be some trash floating in the sea off the bow. As we neared this "trash" the naturalist lecturer on board (Danny Catt) jumped up and and said, "My goodness...it's a Mola Mola." It was the first time we have ever seen this elusive creature and Danny told us that on all his various cruises and trips it was also a first for him.

Hank

Archived