Husband Found Conquest Too Crowded - Now What?

I just got off the conquest 3 weeks ago and did not find itoverly crowded for me. We were always able to get a table on the Lido and believe me, I am m not an early riser. I will admit my first cruise was on the Inspiration and I would love to go on that one again. I did like that one better.

Edited by CRUISE4JANE

the spirit class is the best. the Legend is the best ship in the fleet IMO. we would sail it again next year for our family vacation if we could but it's going to Europe for a year.

Actually not for the whole year she returns in late november.

Ah yes the good old days of cruising, before the dark times before the empire...

Cunard Countess 1977 17,593 gross tons, 537 feet long and max 800 passengers

Song of Norway 1973 18,416 gross tons, 552 feet long and max 724 passengers

nothing like those old big motor yachts

compared to the fantasy class (the small ccl ships) 70,367 gross tons, 855 feet long and max 2675 passengers

Hal and Ncl have several smaller ship classes but nothing compared to the good old days ;)

It's not the size of the ship, but the "space to passenger ratio". The higher the number, the more spacious it should feel. Websites like cruisedeckplans.com provide numbers for all major cruise lines.

Carnival in general is not known for having great space to passenger ratio. Other cruise lines are more generous.

Here are some numbers of the ships you've sailed on. These are for a full ship (all berths filled, which is the norm during summer time). Remember, the lower the number, the more crowded it should feel:

• Carnival Inspiration: 27
  • Carnival Conquest: 31
  • Norwegian Sun: 33
  • Crystal Symphony: 51

Here are numbers for other ships mentioned, and for other popular ships/cruise lines:

• Carnival Dream:28
  • Carnival Sunshine:27
  • Carnival Spirit:32
  • Oasis of the Seas:34
  • Radiance of the Seas: 36
  • Freedom of the Seas: 36
  • Celebrity Solstice: 38
  • Norwegian Epic: 30

This ratio data is GREAT! Thank you!

For those who have not traveled on Conquest (or it's sister ships) the design of the ship adds to the crowded feeling. Decks 5 and 9 are always busy, because they can be used from going aft to forward and back. There are roadblocks on the other decks. And many of the public spaces are just small (for capacity size). The lobby is incredibly small and always packed, as is the photo gallery. And then they don't utilize the larger venue for the standing room only comedy shows. That seems like an easy fix, if they just altered their programs around.

We sailed the Magic for the first time in February. I was really expecting it to be crowded, with as many passengers as it holds. I was very surprised when it seemed the least crowded of the three ships I've been on (Ecstasy and Spirit). Never experienced any lines or bottlenecks in passageways, it was a great experience. So maybe your husband needs to try a bigger ship!

We were on our largest cruise ship last week - Carnival Conquest - and DH really did not care for the size. He said that he liked the sizes of the Carnival Inspiration and the NCL Sun much better. To him the Conquest felt crowded; more cabins but the public space felt the same to him as the smaller ships. I agree that there were times when the Lido, both outside and buffet area inside, had tons of people around, but I didn't think it was too bad.

After hearing him complain, I was SO glad that we were not on the Carnival Dream, our initial booking for Summer 2012. I fear that we may never cruise again, since the vessels keep getting larger and larger. :confused: I really was hoping to try Sunshine or another cruise line with a lot of activities for everyone, but I just don't see that happening, now.

Anyone have recommendations on ships that feel less crowded? And, yes, we must travel during peak times, due to school-aged children.

Your DH sounds like mine. We just did the Epic and he hated it because the ship was just too big for him and he felt crowded (even though he does agree that they had the best entertainment). I personally didn't mind the larger ship. I like the extra walking as it helps keep me in a negative weight gain. It was crowded on the at sea days on the open deck, but I've seen that on CCL too. His favorite ships were Inspiration and Elation...although he did get used to the layout of Freedom, Destiny, and Glory after we sailed the 3 of them right in a row (they all have a very similar layout).

We were on our largest cruise ship last week - Carnival Conquest - and DH really did not care for the size. He said that he liked the sizes of the Carnival Inspiration and the NCL Sun much better. To him the Conquest felt crowded; more cabins but the public space felt the same to him as the smaller ships. I agree that there were times when the Lido, both outside and buffet area inside, had tons of people around, but I didn't think it was too bad.

After hearing him complain, I was SO glad that we were not on the Carnival Dream, our initial booking for Summer 2012. I fear that we may never cruise again, since the vessels keep getting larger and larger. :confused: I really was hoping to try Sunshine or another cruise line with a lot of activities for everyone, but I just don't see that happening, now.

Anyone have recommendations on ships that feel less crowded? And, yes, we must travel during peak times, due to school-aged children.

any spirit class ship.

we avoided the big ships of rccl for years because we mistakenly thought big was synonomous with crowds.

boy, were we wrong!

we found they carry a lot less passengers than ratioed to carnival, and now love the big ships of rccl.

and you are wise to avoid the sunshine. it's a joke even in concept!

• 3 years later...
It's not the size of the ship, but the "space to passenger ratio". The higher the number, the more spacious it should feel. Websites like cruisedeckplans.com provide numbers for all major cruise lines.

Carnival in general is not known for having great space to passenger ratio. Other cruise lines are more generous.

Here are some numbers of the ships you've sailed on. These are for a full ship (all berths filled, which is the norm during summer time). Remember, the lower the number, the more crowded it should feel:

• Carnival Inspiration: 27
  • Carnival Conquest: 31
  • Norwegian Sun: 33
  • Crystal Symphony: 51

Here are numbers for other ships mentioned, and for other popular ships/cruise lines:

• Carnival Dream:28
  • Carnival Sunshine:27
  • Carnival Spirit:32
  • Oasis of the Seas:34
  • Radiance of the Seas: 36
  • Freedom of the Seas: 36
  • Celebrity Solstice: 38
  • Norwegian Epic: 30

Here I am . . . four years later . . . looking at options for cruising either during the children's Christmas Break, Spring Break or Summer 2017. (We MUST cruise during school break times; no other option due to the kids' ages.) Time to find options with a ratio of 33 or higher, if possible. Wish me luck!

Here I am . . . four years later . . . looking at options for cruising either during the children's Christmas Break, Spring Break or Summer 2017. (We MUST cruise during school break times; no other option due to the kids' ages.) Time to find options with a ratio of 33 or higher, if possible. Wish me luck!

We've been on a couple Fantasy class, a couple conquest class and a couple spirit class. Spirit class was hands down my favorite! It almost never felt crowded or like I was on a ship with 2K+ people. The buffet was even reasonable. Plus they have an awesome Serenity area, the Miracle had both hot tub and pool plus plenty of bar servers.

We are trying the Breeze next as DH wants to try a ship with more "stuff". After that cruise, I will book a spirit class based solely on the ship as long as it doesn't go to a cool weather place.

I didn't care for the conquest class as both the Valor and Glory felt constantly crowded. Swarms of people everywhere you went and not enough bar servers to keep up with everyone.

Fantasy class just didn't have enough space and didn't have the amenities that we enjoyed. They also lacked balcony rooms unless you are willing to pay for a suite. While we normally book suites, there was a significant price difference since it's the only way to get a balcony.

Recommendation # 1 DO NOT GO ON THE SUNSHINE!!!! It is the most crowded ship I have ever been on.

Try any of the Spirit class ships(Miracle, Spirit, Legend, Pride). They are newer than the Fantasy class and a little larger - but with the same number of people.

We felt that way on the Freedom and the Dream. Public spaces remained the same but more passenger decks were added to the design.

The ship we felt the least crowded on was the Pride, a Spirit class ship.

We're sailing on the Splendor in a few weeks and can't wait to see how it's like on there.

On Carnival, we have found that anything over the 100,000 gt weight is too crowded. Spirit class is best, followed by the Fantasy class (unless you are a balcony type person).

I agree with your husband and I try to take my cruises on ships that have a higher square footage of public space per passenger. Waiting behind anyone for anything when I cruise just lessens my enjoyment. Try the Pride, that has been my best experience so far.

I have suspected since she was rolled out that I would not enjoy the Sunshine. I would have thought the Conquest acceptable though, what did he dislike the most?