Who is Bill W & who are his friends?

maxx

I once overheard someone telling another new cruiser that it was Captain Bill Wright and his many followers . We were on The Allure and he was the Captain at that time, I knew it was not true, but was too busy laughing to tell them so .

They are just a bunch of quiters:D

That's really not funny. Members are anything but quiters. You were probably trying to be funny...it didn't work for me. Family member belongs to AA, maybe that's why I couldn't appreciate your humor.

That's really not funny. Members are anything but quiters. You were probably trying to be funny...it didn't work for me. Family member belongs to AA, maybe that's why I couldn't appreciate your humor.

Actually have a family member who also belongs to AA (actually is a leader in this area) and it was his joke. He seems to find it funny and I will admit that I did to. Sorry if it offended you, that was not the intent.

bbbearden, it WAS actually funny and I didn't in the least find it offensive.

Really? :rolleyes:

I am proud (and blessed) to be in that group. In two more days, I will have quit for 31 years :).

I used to drink a MINIMUM of a twelve pack a day. So, you could accurately say my quitting pays for a cruise a year.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

I am proud (and blessed) to be in that group. In two more days, I will have quit for 31 years :).

I used to drink a MINIMUM of a twelve pack a day. So, you could accurately say my quitting pays for a cruise a year.

Happy Sails to You

Congrats on 31! I have 20 years sober. I guess I am nothing but a "QUITTER" ! Uninformed people don't know any better so it never bothers me. It is great to see something on these boards about Friends of Bill W. So much on here about how to smuggle on booze and how RCI should add booze into the price of the cruise. Sorry but I do not want to pay for your booze. I have no problem with people drinking around me I have the problem not them! If people actually knew how many lives can be ruined by 1 alcoholic they may quit complaining about the second hand smoke. lol

Happy Sails to You

Congratulations on your 30 years 363 days!!! May you have today and 31 more years as well!!!

Actually have a family member who also belongs to AA (actually is a leader in this area) and it was his joke. He seems to find it funny and I will admit that I did to. Sorry if it offended you, that was not the intent.

I also have a family member that belongs to AA and uses that joke all the time. I don't think it is offensive at all. Some people need to relax.

I had never heard of this either until reading these boards. I did see the times/meetings listed in cruise daily news but I didn't know what it was. Are the meetings called this on land as well? I just don't recall when my Uncle went the meetings being called Friends of Bill W.

I had never heard of this either until reading these boards. I did see the times/meetings listed in cruise daily news but I didn't know what it was. Are the meetings called this on land as well? I just don't recall when my Uncle went the meetings being called Friends of Bill W.

No they are called AA Meetings on land. Being An anonymous program Friends of Bill W. is something used that AA Members know about or at least should know. I have attended meetings on board. Quite interesting with people from other countries, passengers and crew members. Glad the cruise lines have them.

I also have a family member that belongs to AA and uses that joke all the time. I don't think it is offensive at all. Some people need to relax.

All in the way the comment is used & intended. Early in my sobriety it did bother me but not now. Sometimes people make comments that can be offensive to some. I bet just about everyone knows or has relative or friend in AA but I can bet non AA people have no idea what it is about. It should be that way but the Hand of AA is always there if anyone needs it!

Congrats on 31! I have 20 years sober. I guess I am nothing but a "QUITTER" ! Uninformed people don't know any better so it never bothers me. It is great to see something on these boards about Friends of Bill W. So much on here about how to smuggle on booze and how RCI should add booze into the price of the cruise. Sorry but I do not want to pay for your booze. I have no problem with people drinking around me I have the problem not them! If people actually knew how many lives can be ruined by 1 alcoholic they may quit complaining about the second hand smoke. lol

My uncle who is extremely active in AA has been a quitter for over 27 years. We are very proud of his status as a quitter. I congratulate you both on the 20 years and the 31 years. Please accept my apology if my little joke offended, my uncle has used it before and gave me the impression it was something of an inside joke.

Im sure it was not meant to be a "laughing matter"

with a family member in AA his favorite shirt is a Quiters tee shirt.

it says AA is for Quiters.. and he is a quiter.

My uncle who is extremely active in AA has been a quitter for over 27 years. We are very proud of his status as a quitter. I congratulate you both on the 20 years and the 31 years. Please accept my apology if my little joke offended, my uncle has used it before and gave me the impression it was something of an inside joke.

Wow I did not expect the response to this question. I enjoyed reading the humourous & serious responses. I wish all the best to Bill & his cruising friends.

Thanks! I was really glad to see something about this on CC. Now maybe someone who needs an AA Meeting on board will go. So what you may have thought was a silly question at first may help someone in need of help some day.

Archived