What to do in Ft. Lauderdale?

sleepless

If you read down the board you will see some ideas. We, for example, took the water taxi that steps about 4 or 5 blocks from the Embassy Suites, where we also stayed. It is hop on hop off, so you can see quite a bit of the area. Or go to the beach.

Edited by CruiserBruce

We are cruising out of Ft. Lauderdale. We will arrive the day before, and are planning to stay at the Embassy Suites. Any ideas for what to do during the day in Ft. Lauderdale?

Are you looking for something to do with in walking distance or do you have access to a car? Like everyone else said, the water taxi is a great idea. Since, you are on 17th St, there are alot of shops to walk to right from the hotel.

If you want to grab a taxi, there is Sawgrass Mill Mall, the everglades (airboat rides) or beach access.

Just depends on your mode of transportation.

We have now stayed a number of times in Fort Lauderdale and always ask ourselves the same question....what is there to do. There is the boardwalk, the Water Taxi, the Jungle Queen, a ride on the Sun Trolley if it is operating that day and then? Shopping at the Galleria Mall or Sawgrass Mills.

Thanks for the replies. We will be staying at the Embassy. How do we access the Water Taxi from there? Is this a scenic tour, or is it mainly used for transportation around the area. Can you stay on for the full "loop" or do you have to get off? How long does it take, and what is the cost.

You just walk about 3 or 4 long blocks east of the Embassy, towards the water. You will go under the 17th Street Causeway, and that is where the water taxi picks up. You pay one price and you can ride all day. Get off and on any place you want to. They do give you a lot of information about he places you pass. They will tell you where some of the famous people lived or have lived. They will also point out some of the yachts and who they belong too. I always think of it as a scenic tour. You can also get on a different taxi and head to Hollywood Beach. That one takes awhile to get there, but you can walk the beach and head back.

Make sure you know which one you are getting on before you board. I think I liked the one that does the Ft. Lauderdale loop best.

I think if you stay on the full loop without getting off it is about a 2 1/2 hour tour. I remember it costing $20 last time, but I read on here where someone said it was $25. Check on their website.

Claudia

• 7 months later...

Our ship stops in FLL for the day in April...is it possible to walk to a water taxi stop to do their FLL run? Where is the stop..not sure which dock we will be at, but on the Crown Princess ...thanks for any tips if you have done this before...

Our ship stops in FLL for the day in April...is it possible to walk to a water taxi stop to do their FLL run? Where is the stop..not sure which dock we will be at, but on the Crown Princess ...thanks for any tips if you have done this before...

If you google- water taxi schedule, fort lauderdale, or watertaxi.com, they have the stops and schedule posted. You could call them and they will tell you which one is the closest to your dock.

• 1 year later...

G/Day: I'm going to do a cruise out of Fort Lauderdale in April of 2015, I'm staying one night before cruise was wondering what would be my best option, the water taxi sounds good, I will be staying at the Ramada Plaza I have no idea where that is from the beach, I will not drive as it's on the wrong side of the road for me and I'm travelling by myself, would it be safe to go for a swim after the water taxi ride?? I'm 70 years old and reasonable fit Cheers Claire aka haloau

G/Day: I'm going to do a cruise out of Fort Lauderdale in April of 2015, I'm staying one night before cruise was wondering what would be my best option, the water taxi sounds good, I will be staying at the Ramada Plaza I have no idea where that is from the beach, I will not drive as it's on the wrong side of the road for me and I'm travelling by myself, would it be safe to go for a swim after the water taxi ride?? I'm 70 years old and reasonable fit Cheers Claire aka haloau

Which Ramada?

Go for a swim in your hotel pool. In the ocean, predators feed at night. You can take cabs everywhere.

Be sure to check the schedules for water taxi stops for the date you are there. Some stops end service earlier than others. And seasonally they might change.
Also, Groupon usually runs a 2 For 1 water taxi deal from Summer through December.

We will be staying at the Renaissance Ft Lauderdale Cruise Port Hotel July 3rd and 4th before our cruise on the 5th. I read about fireworks on the beach on the 4th. How far is our hotel from the beach? We will have our vehicle so driving isn't an issue if parking isn't. Also, are there things to do in our hotel area or will we need to drive a bit to get to the fun? We will have our 17 year old son with us and are open to any ideas. Of course I would like to know what some of the good restaurants are in the area.