Post cruise stay

sunshineRN48

Hi everyone, well I've decided to take the plunge and go solo on my dream vacation. I was planning on arriving on Thursday prior to my cruise on POA, and then stay an additional 6 nights sightseeing and relaxing. My travel agent seems to think 6 nights post cruise would be too much, and I would get bored? Any thoughts on if she was correct? I have the time off from work, so that's not the problem.

Bored? I have never even heard that word from my children, now 20, 22, and 24, when visiting Hawaii. We have visited 1-2 times a year for the last 20 years and I cannot even imagine using the word "bored." There are lots of things to do in 6 days, each island has it's own identity and you might want to identify one or two islands on which to enjoy your 6 days. Time of year might have some influence. Also, which island or islands you decide to visit might depend on what you want to do...surf, snorkel, relax on the beach, zipline, hike, kayak, sightsee, visit botanical gardens, see waterfalls, volcanoes, etc., etc., etc. I think there are too many things to do on each island for a 6 day visit. JMO Cherie

I'm thinking of splitting up the post cruise days with 2 on Oahu, and 4 on Maui. What's it like at the Lodge?

I'm interested in taking a few guided tours, relax on the beach, shop a little, and just generally chill after the cruise. I would also enjoy waterfalls, maybe zipline, and snorkle for sure.

I will be alone, so probably won't be renting a car.

Have a wonderful trip.

I would do a guided tour of the Road to Hana when you are on Maui. We are doing ours through the ship on the 2nd day we are in Maui but if you do four days on Maui that would be a great way to spend a day.

There is so much to do on all of the islands so whichever you pick you will find something. I love Maui and would enjoy a week there!! The road to Hana makes for a long day but a beautiful one in my opinion....

omg!! :eek: Has your travel agent ever been to Hawaii?!?!?!?

I'm not sure were your home is but generally getting to/from Hawaii is a long (and probably expensive) flight. Plus it is your dream vacation. Why not spend as much time as you can there?

6 days will be wonderful to be able to sight see AND relax and just enjoy everything Hawaii has to offer.

We went to Hawaii a couple years ago on what we thought was a once in a life time vacation. Now we can't wait to go back!

Enjoy!!!! :)

I think you could find plenty to do on Oahu if you chose to stay here and when you aren't doing "something" how about enjoying NOTHING! Relax on the beach or a place near the ocean and people watch. Center in Waikiki for a few days and enjoy the hustle and bustle, take a couple nights up at Turtle Bay and enjoy the North Shore and all it has to offer. Pretend you are in the "Forgetting Sarah Marshal" movie :).

Personally unless I had a return flight booked from one of those islands, I wouldn't waste precious vacation time flying to another island, only to have to fly back to Oahu to fly home.

There's lots of good info on Tripadvisor about solo travel on Oahu including a couple amazing trip reports from solo female travelers.

Thanks everyone for all the great info! I have thought about Turtle bay Resort as a quiet option to just relax post cruise as well. I want to sightsee for sure, but don't want to be going at a dead run either the whole time. Relaxing under a palm tree just reading a book or napping sounds wonderful right now! Either way, I just can't wait.

I have only been to Hawaii once for my POA cruise, and only got to spend a couple of extra days on Oahu. We are planning a return visit to Oahu next February, and only have 7 days. I cant believe the ppl that say we will be bored. I cant seem to fit every thing in that we want to do, and then have time to just do nothing. I wish we had stayed longer. I love all of the other Islands too, but my son has never been and he really wants to be in Waikiki and see Pearl Harbor. IMHO, too many things to do and not enough time! :D

Very strange comment from your TA. Doesn't he/she work on commission? The more you spend the more they make? I have never heard of a TA encouraging clients to shorten their vacation before. I lived on Oahu for a year and never got bored. If I had my druthers, I would be there right now.

There is plenty to keep you busy on Oahu alone for 6 days. If you want to fly to one of the other islands, do so. However, if you just want to rest and relax after your hectic weeklong cruise on POA (and you will see all of the main islands on that cruise), then do not hesitate to plop yourself down in one place on Oahu for 6 days and enjoy it. Here are some things to see on Oahu:

Pearl Harbor, Waikiki Beach (take an outrigger ride for a few bucks), Chinatown, Downtown (Iolani Palace), Bishop Museum, International Market Place, Diamond Head (hike to top), Hanauma Bay (snorkeling), North Shore (big wave surfing), Laniakea Beach (turtles bask on sand here), Dole Plantation, Queen Emma Summer Palace, Shangri La (Honolulu home of Doris Duke), Polynesian Cultural Center and Luau, Pali Lookout, From Here to Eternity Beach, eat at a shrimp truck, eat shave ice, Byodo-In Temple in the Valley of the Temples, Kualoa Ranch, and so much more I have not even scraped the surface!!! Have fun.

By the way, I would switch TAs. He/she sounds like a real cynic.

Well, it wasn't that she thought I should shorten my vacation, just shorten the amount of time I spent on Oahu, and fly somewhere else for a few days, rather than spend the whole time post cruise there. She was pushing Maui I think, cause she has been there I guess. Maui sounds great, also would lose a day in travel. I'm leaning toward just staying in Oahu after the cruise.

As much as I've been reading on different things to do, I'm sure I will not have have nearly enough time there to do all I want.

Archived