Mediterranean Cruise Would we like it ?

CENTEX CRUISER

As other posters have indicated, this cruise is VERY port-intensive and needs tons of planning. And also, as others have posted, read the cruise review by KansCoca. It is both informative and HYSTERICAL!!!!

My sister and I planned a cruise out of Venice (believe it or not, booked only 3 weeks prior...crazy, I know). It was a 7 day cruise, and we had no time to plan, so when we went into ports, we had no idea what to do, so just walked around the ports. We arrived in Venice a day before, but, alas, our luggae did NOT arrive. What a nightmare that was. I think our cruise was a bit "dampened" by that, but I believe the real issue was not planning enough ahead of time.

I would LOVE to go on another med cruise, but if I do, it will be a longer (11 - 12 days) one, I will book a year out so that I can do the proper planning, and will book excursions through local vendors. The excursions are expensive, so I will also need to save LOTS of $$$ before!!!

Barbara

Are you kidding? The Mediterranean is fabulous!!!!

We went for the first time in l989, cruise fares were much higher then, we paid $3500 pp for cruise only for a get this a "limited view cabin", because that was all we could afford.

We were hooked, went from Venince to London, 12 nights. Will never forget how wonderful it was, each port more exciting then the last.

As a result we have gone to the Mediterranean at least 6-8 times since. We never get tired of the ports. Going again next year on the Jade.

If you can afford it go for it.

Not all ports are so intensive. For example, the day after we went to Rome, we were in La Maddelena (Sardinia) - a rural place where we got off the ship and onto a ferry, then off the ferry and onto a bus that took us round the island. It was an ordinary service bus but the driver stopped for photos at a couple of places.

If you're trying to do Barcelona to Venice and back again, it might not be so port intensive. They're a long way apart, lots of sailing time.

We are doing our first Med cruise in September. We are on a seven night cruise out of Barcelona with only one sea day (we do 24/7 care for my mom so we didn't think we could be away longer).

As we have been planning our port tours - we have two stops in France and three in Italy - we were a little concerned about being too busy too many days in a row. We planned our tours so that there was a nice division between museum/history touring and scenic drives. Hopefully we found a good mix.

In hindsight I wish we had more sea days, but we chose the itinerary based on the ports that have been on our list of where we have always wanted to visit. Next time we hope to book a 10 or 12 night cruise.

If you have an interest, definitely give it a shot. You don't have to do too much if you don't want.

Would love to get a report upon your return..Have a wonderful cruise...:)

We are doing our first Med cruise in September. We are on a seven night cruise out of Barcelona with only one sea day (we do 24/7 care for my mom so we didn't think we could be away longer).

As we have been planning our port tours - we have two stops in France and three in Italy - we were a little concerned about being too busy too many days in a row. We planned our tours so that there was a nice division between museum/history touring and scenic drives. Hopefully we found a good mix.

In hindsight I wish we had more sea days, but we chose the itinerary based on the ports that have been on our list of where we have always wanted to visit. Next time we hope to book a 10 or 12 night cruise.

If you have an interest, definitely give it a shot. You don't have to do too much if you don't want.

I think it petty much depends on how in depth you want see/experience a city. We've done a few European cruises and a couple of "Med" cruises. Going to the Greek Isles, a day at each is sufficient (I think) and in fact some days we were at two islands. We love European river cruises too. Like I said, it pretty much depends on how much of a city or country you want to experience. When you dock in some European cities, it's kind of "pick one or two" of the major sites, because sometimes, that's all you will have time for. Like Rome, ships don't actually dock in Rome, they dock over an hour away, so if you dock at 8AM,sail at 6 PM, by the time you get to/from the ship, time to queue at a site, have lunch, etc, etc you don't have as much time as you thought you might. Obviously, you only hit coastal cities, and you don't have an opportunity to experience evening/night life on land. We much, much prefer European river cruises or land tours in Europe.

We would never be happy trying to see Europe on a cruise ship. Eight hours in Rome? We've been there twice for a total of 8 days and still haven't seen everything. On the other hand, we like strolling the streets, eating local food, spending hours in museums.

If you can be happy knowing that you are getting a mini-tour, or knowing you can return for an extended trip, take the boat.

We're taking the new Carnival Breeze out of Barcelona on Nov 6, but before that we have a land tour of Turkey, then a week in an apartment in Madrid and then 4 days in Barcelona. We always rent apartment. So much cheaper than a hotel. And I can make my own coffee in the morning and drink 3 cups without paying $ 5 per cup!

The airfare you quoted is a good deal.

Yes, the Med is port intentsive, but don't let that deter you. Some of the ports are 'beachy' ports and a lot of people use these days to relax. Do as much or as little as you want.

Research and the internet are your friends for this. (But, that's half the fun, right?)Do a lot of planning prior and book your excursions/ transfers etc. beforehand. Because the time in a port is so short, you don't want to waste time trying to find a tour guide.

We went in August, but most people find this way too hot and humid...as well as busy. A lot of people like the Med weather in May/ June or Sept/ Oct.

I also highly recommend that you fly in a couple of days before the cruise and stay for a couple of days afterward.

Everyone is different, if you are the type who likes to go all day trying to see everything, that is fine. We don't we always assume we will be back again. So we pick a couple of things we really want to see and do that in each port. That way we pace ourselves on these very port intensive trips.

You really can't do it all - no matter your approach. But what you do - you will enjoy for sure.

Europe by cruise a great way to see multiple places with just one moving hotel.

Pick your cruise based on the ports you want, research carefully as some port stops are very far from the main attractions. Places like Florence, Rome are two that standout in that regard.

If budget is tight don't forget the dollar to euro exchange and that tours can easily run 150 or more dollars / port, and that private tours are much better than the big bus affairs offered by the cruise line.

Happy planning

I first went on the Dream Inaugural in 2009 with two friends. I LOVED IT SO MUCH I decided I would go back even if I had to go alone. We did a pre-cruise visit in Rome for 3 days and the cruise left out of Civitavecchia. I saw everything I wanted to see except for St. Paul's tomb and the Roman Forum. (DID SEE: Colosseum, Vatican, Sistine, St. Peter's, catacombs, walked the streets, Trevi (every day), Spanish steps, everything in between)

In 2011 I went on the second voyage of the Magic with a different friend. I saw things that I had missed the first time (you can never see it all on ONE cruise). We sailed out of Barcelona and did 3-days pre-cruise there. I think we saw it all there.

In 2012 (this last June) a different friend (#4) and I went on the inaugural of the Breeze. We did 3 days pre-cruise in Rome, took the train to Venice and did 3 days pre-cruise there. We boarded the ship in Venice and ended in Barcelona. I flew home from there while that friend (and another) stayed to do Barca post-cruise.

I can finally say that I saw all I wanted to see in Florence (I did that "on my own"), all I wanted to see and do in Venice, all I wanted to see and do in Barcelona, Dubrovnik, Athens and Monaco. I could see Florence, Naples, Messina, and Izmir, Turkey again.

I want my wife to see all the things you mentioned, so it sounds like it would be good for us. We can always lie on the beach in Cozumel..Thanks for the reply..:)

Or drive down to South Padre Island and enjoy the same Gulf!

It really depends on what you are looking for.

Since you've done Caribbean cruises, does that mean you are the type that likes to relax and lay out on the beach?

The Med is a very port intensive cruise. Generally, a 12 day cruise includes 8-10 port days, in 3-5 counties (depending on itinerary). Each port stop is a long day, and intense. Each city is filled with history, most of it anciet, lots and lots and lots of sights, palaces, churches, bell towers, gravestones, geographical features, etc. And a lot of time, there is a lot of travel time in between the port city and where you're actually exploring. For example, the port stop for Rome is Civitavecchia which is about 1:15 by train to Rome, and can be 2-3 hours by car. Livorno is the port stop for Florence, again, it could be up to 1 hour by car. Piraeus is the port stop for Athens, that's a 20 minute walk and a 10-15 minute train ride to Athens, on and on.

So, it's really dependent on what you want to do and see whether or not you would like it.

Personally, I love Europe. I've done 2 Med cruises, 1 British Isles cruise, and am about to do my 2nd Baltic cruise. Conversely, I've only done 1 Caribbean cruise, and while I enjoyed it, I'm not planning a future trip back there....

It's a matter of what you want out of a trip, what you want to do, what you want to see, what you want to experience.

I agree 100%...

Archived