Future solo/single passengers might want to read:

DGP1111

Well, not exactly.

My fare on the last triumph 5 day, was $169, total was $383, because I only pay one add on taxes and fees. If two booked it would be over $400, so its not the same percentage.

So, in fact the deposit of $400, I guess I would only pay $383.XX the total all upfront now.. they wouldnt charge me two deposits since it would now be less than the total fare.

solo you pay only one add on fees and taxes, so it cant be exactly the same percentage.

Sorry Firefly, yes, of course you're right in that due to the taxes it is not *exactly* the same - but certainly it's very close. When it comes to the fare itself (which is what the cruise line is concerned with, they aren't keeping the taxes), you are paying the same percentage/deposit as any standard 2 pax booking.

That said, I don't quite understand why it's upsetting to have to pay for your cruise in full when it's a low-priced cruise to begin with? Again, the same basic thing happens with a standard 2 pax booking on a lower-cost cruise - you're still paying a hefty portion of the fare upfront.

It seems that it's not the amount of money that some people have issue with, but the fact that they have to pay more up front (or in some cases the full fare up front). Still - it's not as if you are paying "more".

Not trying to be argumentative with those who are upset, I'm just trying to rationalize all of the comments about abandoning Carnival over something that seems like a matter of semantics.

:cool: But on that cruise didn't you book last minute?? So full price had to be paid up front?? Just asking!:) If I didn't live so far away I would jump on that!!:D

Yes, for that one .. but I was giving it as a example. I only book direct last minute now anyway. I book the group cruises ahead of time only.

I was trying to explain to my friend the pricing.. as when she would look at the price .. $339 lets say.. I was like, guess what .. its not like a hotel, you have to double the price and then pay add on taxes and fees. She is not really into cruising ... she was flabbergasted that cruisefares are posted at half double occupancy in the first place.

This all really doesnt affect me .. it just shows that Carnival doesnt want solo cruisers, at least that is my take. But I am paid in full on all the cruises I book when I book them, just how I book.

But it really is odd when you think about it.. how cruises are posted pp, but if the person wants to cruise solo, then its not per person. I really had a time explaining to her how cruisefares are posted and what I pay. I invited her along on some cruises, and was explaining to her why it didnt cost extra to add her.

Besides if you know me, Im just a rule quoter.. not taking sides, nor do I care how they do it myself. I gave the illustration to show the numbers so the poster who never sails solo could understand it is not exactly the same money.

I love Carnival and probably always will. Alright I can see where they want to make all things equal. Solos will pay 200% deposit. Carnival should also realize that they charge us double fare which means they think we consume double the food. Make the employees work just as hard as if we were making a mess for 2+ people. I realize this is a business and the bottom line is profit. However they are going a little overboard on the whole solo cruiser charges.

The reason I mostly travel solo is to get away from the familiar and experience new people, new places, and new things.

This is just my view of things. I am not leaving Carnival I need more great memories.

Yes, for that one .. but I was giving it as a example. I only book direct last minute now anyway. I book the group cruises ahead of time only.

I was trying to explain to my friend the pricing.. as when she would look at the price .. $339 lets say.. I was like, guess what .. its not like a hotel, you have to double the price and then pay add on taxes and fees. She is not really into cruising ... she was flabbergasted that cruisefares are posted at half double occupancy in the first place.

This all really doesnt affect me .. it just shows that Carnival doesnt want solo cruisers, at least that is my take. But I am paid in full on all the cruises I book when I book them, just how I book.

But it really is odd when you think about it.. how cruises are posted pp, but if the person wants to cruise solo, then its not per person. I really had a time explaining to her how cruisefares are posted and what I pay. I invited her along on some cruises, and was explaining to her why it didnt cost extra to add her.

:cool: I get it!! I know if I want to cruise I will pay the price!!:o

I would not book one , to me, it's still expensive.. Some say it's for singles, and has a lounge etc. But, it will all depend on who is on your cruise. It might be full of solo married cruisers, which I have read this has happened.

Just curious as to why it would make a difference if the other solo cruisers are married?

I've booked a solo cruise on the Epic in a studio and it's significantly less than the cost of double occupancy cabins--it's not half, but it's a lot less. That makes it very appealing to me. I had originally booked Carnival Glory and cancelled that booking when I found out I could book the Epic and sail the Western Med for less than New England and Canada on the Glory.

Just curious as to why it would make a difference if the other solo cruisers are married?

I've booked a solo cruise on the Epic in a studio and it's significantly less than the cost of double occupancy cabins--it's not half, but it's a lot less. That makes it very appealing to me. I had originally booked Carnival Glory and cancelled that booking when I found out I could book the Epic and sail the Western Med for less than New England and Canada on the Glory.

And the Epic is a FANTASTIC ship. I sailed solo in a studio twice. LOVED it; can't wait to go again!

And the Epic is a FANTASTIC ship. I sailed solo in a studio twice. LOVED it; can't wait to go again!

I'm so excited! I've read several reviews and am really looking forward to it. I figured it's a really good choice for my first solo cruise. :D DD is a bit peeved that her old mom is going to cruise without her. LOL.

Two people book a double occupancy room...Carnival collects $500 for a seven day cruise. One person books a double occupancy room...Carnival collects $500. Why should the solo cruiser catch a break? Carnival is equalizing things for their cash flow.

Take emotion out of it. From a business perspective, it makes sense. It's not a personal "screw you" to solo cruisers (and I've done 5 solo/single occupancy cruises on CCL, so I am impacted). It's a business decision. Do I like it? Not really, but such is single life in a couples world.

That $500 we have to pay at booking is also non-refundable if you are booking an early saver rate. To me, from a business perspective, it is not a good decision because someone is booking a cabin. The deposit is supposed to be per person- there's still one person in the cabin.

Those of us with at least 25 cruises already feel like we have penalized because we sail on five day cruises and don't have the magic number of days CCL wants us to have to reach the highest loyalty level. Those loyal customers who happen to be solo travelers may indeed take it personal. I will continue to cruise with CCL as they are the only year round cruise line in New Orleans. I just makes planning a cruise a little more difficult.

That $500 we have to pay at booking is also non-refundable if you are booking an early saver rate. To me, from a business perspective, it is not a good decision because someone is booking a cabin. The deposit is supposed to be per person- there's still one person in the cabin.

Exactly.

If you look at the issue from Carnival's perspective, the cabin is a single commodity for which they command a specific price (ie. the 2 pax fare). Why shouldn't the deposit be the same for the same fare price?

While I understand being upset that you now stand to lose a larger deposit if you book early saver, so does anyone else who is paying that same fare for 2 pax.

The danger here is getting fixated on the "per person" idea. Pricing really isn't per person when comparing 1 vs. 2 pax, it's per cabin (very similar to many all-inclusive vacations, even land-based, where the price is really "per room").

Again, I can see why people may be disappointed, but acting as if Carnival is doing something that is "unfair" or meant to alienate solo cruisers just doesn't really have any basis in fact. It is what it is - they aren't the only cruise line or travel business to operate this way!

The danger here is getting fixated on the "per person" idea. Pricing really isn't per person when comparing 1 vs. 2 pax, it's per cabin (very similar to many all-inclusive vacations, even land-based, where the price is really "per room").

since you never cruise solo and have no skin in the game, sorry but its just talk when its not your money. Its just talk to me when someone who says they dont cruise solo says .. hey why should you care.

And if its not per person, then they should not advertise its per person. Its misleading.

I dont think someone who never cruises solo should have a opinion and keep saying they cant understand why solos care .. you dont get it. you weighed in. Its not up to you to tell solos how to feel to me. I dont understand why you keep voicing your opinion when this doesnt affect you.

since you never cruise solo and have no skin in the game, sorry but its just talk when its not your money. Its just talk to me when someone who says they dont cruise solo says .. hey why should you care.

And if its not per person, then they should not advertise its per person. Its misleading.

I dont think someone who never cruises solo should have a opinion and keep saying they cant understand why solos care .. you dont get it. you weighed in. Its not up to you to tell solos how to feel to me. I dont understand why you keep voicing your opinion when this doesnt affect you.

I'm certainly not suggesting that solo cruisers shouldn't care - just that I found the reactions surprising, and I legitimately was curious as to why people were upset by it.

I'm also not telling anyone how they should feel - just explaining my thoughts on why Carnival is doing what they are doing.

I've been posting because I think it's an interesting discussion, and since my background is in business and I have worked in travel, I do actually have some idea of what I'm speaking about.

I'm sorry that you feel it's not appropriate for those who aren't solo cruisers to comment, but it's a discussion board and as such you may find posts you're not interested in reading - feel free to skip them.

Kind of like when some of us wonder why people who don't cruise Carnival, or don't anymore because they hate them, chime in on threads on a Carnival board?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I'm certainly not suggesting that solo cruisers shouldn't care - just that I found the reactions surprising, and I legitimately was curious as to why people were upset by it.

I'm also not telling anyone how they should feel - just explaining my thoughts on why Carnival is doing what they are doing.

I've been posting because I think it's an interesting discussion, and since my background is in business and I have worked in travel, I do actually have some idea of what I'm speaking about.

I'm sorry that you feel it's not appropriate for those who aren't solo cruisers to comment, but it's a discussion board and as such you may find posts you're not interested in reading - feel free to skip them.

If Carnival decided to increase their deposit amounts in general to double what they are now, everyone would have a fit. Solo cruiser or not, if you've been used to paying a deposit of one amount for years, and now it will be doubled, you might not be happy about it. It is what it is though. A month ago, the big issue was the slap in the face everyone was feeling about the new loyalty program. This is another slap in the face for us solo cruisers.

Kind of like when some of us wonder why people who don't cruise Carnival, or don't anymore because they hate them, chime in on threads on a Carnival board?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Agreed. I will never, atleast in the next 30 years, cruise a Antartic voyage, why would I go to their board and chime in about anything?

As someone new to Carnival, I was surprised from the get go that they charge 200% for singles, and now a deposit screw job. I cruised solo on Disney, only paid 150%, and your deposit is the same as anyone else, 20 percent of the cruise fare (less if you book onboard)

I guess for solos, Disney might be a cheaper option. Never thought I would type cheaper and Disney in the same sentence.

If Carnival decided to increase their deposit amounts in general to double what they are now, everyone would have a fit. Solo cruiser or not, if you've been used to paying a deposit of one amount for years, and now it will be doubled, you might not be happy about it. It is what it is though. A month ago, the big issue was the slap in the face everyone was feeling about the new loyalty program. This is another slap in the face for us solo cruisers.

Exactly.

The problem is the whole "per person" way that cruiselines price. No one bats an eye at hotel prices because the price for one room per night us $x. If cruise lines moved to per cabin pricing (with additional fees for par 3 and 4 like hotels), which is how the lines operate, there wouldn't be as big of deal. The "per person" thing makes people feel they're getting "ripped off."

While this poster doesn't have skin in the game, the poster is bringing a more rational line of thought to the discussion. Many people are taking this decision personally, and there was nothing personal to Carnival's decision

As I just posted, I agree that the "per person" way of pricing is the issue. Why should should solos/singles expect a break? We don't get charged less for a hotel room; why should we get charged less on a cruise ship? Of course, if someone offers a discount, I'll gladly take it, but I don't feel entitled to it.

i sailed on the epic solo in one of the studio cabins and thought the ship was poorly thought out for solos. i won't hijack the thread any more.

if this new rule cracks down on a loop hole used by the start with 1 and add more people later sneaks i say great. it'll lower the cost of my cruising in the end.

Archived