Future solo/single passengers might want to read:

DGP1111

CCL says they are changing this policy "to help us bring alignment to the cruise fare payment, which is currently 200% for single occupancy guests." What this appears to me is bringing alignment to CCL's computer software. If you are paying for two people, you should pay two deposits. It keeps the programming really simple. Any other response by CCL sounds like spin to me.

I just got off the phone with carnival calling to book. Asked deposit solo for 7 day cruise. $500. Asked for 2 in cabin for 7 days. $500.

I let her know I'd be checking other lines and didn't wish to go with carnival at this time b/c of this issue.

For all of you saying it doesn't make a difference, it does if you pay CASH deposit like I do. For those on credit cards your interest is growing the minute you do that.

People are saying that double occupancy is paying 100% solos are paying 50% of the deposit. This does not seem right to me. Carnival has always charged per person therefore everyone who books a cruise has paid 100% deposit. Solos now are being asked to pay double deposit. That means that they are paying 200% and everyone else will still be paying the 100% even if you have a third or fourth pax. in your cabin that will be paying a deposit. As long as carnival uses the words per person instead of per cabin this is the reality.

So, all you two-per cabin cruisers, how would you feel if Carnival told you that your deposit would now be $500 per person?

Wouldn't matter to me because i look at the bottom line. I just cruised last month and paid $1000 deposit for a boutique line, but who cares if the total is the same. You're not saving a single cent because you're deposit is less. I hope this policy drives away the lookie loos who book the best cabins and then decide if they really want it while other more committed cruisers would have liked that aft balcony or middle hump cabin.

I just got off the phone with carnival calling to book. Asked deposit solo for 7 day cruise. $500. Asked for 2 in cabin for 7 days. $500.

I let her know I'd be checking other lines and didn't wish to go with carnival at this time b/c of this issue.

For all of you saying it doesn't make a difference, it does if you pay CASH deposit like I do. For those on credit cards your interest is growing the minute you do that.

You are assuming people don't pay off their cards. I pay mine every month. Never paid interest and I am flying to San Juan and Germany free due to miles accumulated in part from the credit card. Celebrity charges $500 deposit for a 7 day cruise, so you can remove them from your list. Made no difference to me; I owe less than $400 next month instead of almost $700.

I thought the policy was starting Aug. 30 and after:confused:

Don't know why she would tell you that, if you were going to book today:confused::confused::confused:

Actually, that can't be right.......the new policy does not go in effect until the end of August....... You have all month to book solo with one deposit

One of the reasons I have sailed on Carnival so much over the past six years is that they had the 1-A singles discount. I was quite concerned about having to pay twice as much as a single under the recent new policy, but, fortunately, I had done most of those cruises as a single with a group called the Saints and Sinners. The result is that I had gotten to know a lot of people and they had gotten to know me, to the extent that every cruise I've taken since the change has been with a very compatible female roomie. Purely platonic, of course. :cool: I currently have four cruises booked and they will all be shared cabins with a roomie.

It works out fine for them because they don't have to share the bathroom and dressing table with another female. I just get ready in about 20 minutes and head for the Martini Bar until they are ready to go to dinner. :D

So, it's worked out that now I'm cruising for quite a bit less than I did as a 1-A single and can, therefore, cruise more often.

If you've cruised with groups before, there are probably other singles in your groups who would jump at the opportunity to share a cabin with you.

A potential Saints and Sinners cruise was recently suggested for late 2014 and within two hours, three women had invited me to be roomies.

Life is good! :)

If anyone has any questions or is interested in more details about this type of arrangement, I can be reached at jahmonduu@aol.com

You are assuming people don't pay off their cards. I pay mine every month. Never paid interest and I am flying to San Juan and Germany free due to miles accumulated in part from the credit card. Celebrity charges $500 deposit for a 7 day cruise, so you can remove them from your list. Made no difference to me; I owe less than $400 next month instead of almost $700.

We are not all as priveledged to have that kind of financial status to be able to do that. And we all don't have credit cards for various reasons.

We are not all as priveledged to have that kind of financial status to be able to do that. And we all don't have credit cards for various reasons.

??? You totally missed my point, which is cash or credit card that is paid off monthly, there is no real difference. Both require discipline to not spend over your means, whatever they may be. I was responding to a poster that said she's at a disadvantage because she pays cash. If I don't have the cash to pay my bill each month, I don't use it. I wait until I do have the cash. I use the card to get perks for doing something I'd be doing anyway (spending money).

So when will CCL realize they are penalizing solo travelers? Next CCL could require solos to pay 200% gratuities because the stewards and waiters aren't getting their normal gratuity, because some single person booked an inside cabin that could have up to four people. Don't get me wrong, the stewards and waiters work extremely hard and I have no problem paying the gratuity. But I pay the tips over and beyond the $11.50 a day because I want to, not because CCL could (as a hypothetical) require it because I m causing them lost revenue by traveling solo.

As a solo cruiser I'm not pleased with this announcement any more than I was pleased with the change from 150% to 200% fare. If I was currently booking last minute like I did in the early 2000s, I wouldn't give this change a second thought but I typically book way in advance with groups that prefer CCL. I will continue to look for the best itinerary/deal on all cruise lines just like always. Although I'm fairly sure my days of booking with a group at the onset are over. If I choose to go with a group, it will likely be my own last-minute ressie.

If anyone has any questions or is interested in more details about this type of arrangement' date=' I can be reached at jahmonduu@aol.com

Dang, Weebs, pimping yourself out to the masses now??!! :p;)

??? You totally missed my point, which is cash or credit card that is paid off monthly, there is no real difference. Both require discipline to not spend over your means, whatever they may be. I was responding to a poster that said she's at a disadvantage because she pays cash. If I don't have the cash to pay my bill each month, I don't use it. I wait until I do have the cash. I use the card to get perks for doing something I'd be doing anyway (spending money).

We do the same and have gotten some really incredible deals/freebies by doing so.

This isn't in effect until the end of the month so anyone wanting to book a solo at the single deposit rate can do so now. I booked a cabin for my son yesterday and he paidthe normal $250 for solo cruisers. I actually think this is a very fair policy since Carnival requires double occupancy (or paying for) so why shouldn't they get the deposit for 2 based on that.

We are also taking him cruising with us in October with final payment due next week. I was trying to figure out why his final payment was higher than ours then I realized it was the solo deposit that made the difference.

I do wish they had kept the 1A cabins for solos as I can't imagine anyone willingly paying double occupancy on those cabins with a twin bed! Otherwise I'm fine with it and don't expect special treatment.

Hey Allen you are still quite the popular guy! Love the blue haired biddy wig lol

Insurance wouldnt cover your non refundable deposit, because its being held as a credit. Your insurance would cover the service fee if you had to cancel.

yeah, thats what I meant. not the whole thing, but something.

Actually, that can't be right.......the new policy does not go in effect until the end of August....... You have all month to book solo with one deposit

It isn't right. Just another example of some faux rage.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

As a solo cruiser I'm not pleased with this announcement any more than I was pleased with the change from 150% to 200% fare. If I was currently booking last minute like I did in the early 2000s, I wouldn't give this change a second thought but I typically book way in advance with groups that prefer CCL. I will continue to look for the best itinerary/deal on all cruise lines just like always. Although I'm fairly sure my days of booking with a group at the onset are over. If I choose to go with a group, it will likely be my own last-minute ressie.

Dang, Weebs, pimping yourself out to the masses now??!! :p;)

Pamie, I'll put you on my list. :D

I was trying to be helpful and provide an alternative. I am SO misunderstood! :)

The way I see it is they are finally levelling the playing field when it comes to solo travellers. We have to pay 200% of the price to have a cabin to ourself, but we got away with only paying 50% of the deposit required. A couple sharing a cabin pays the full $250 for each passenger, so Carnival is only making it a rule that if you book solo you still have to pay double the deposit.

I have no issues or problems with that at all, and it isn't about adding a name after because when you add another name, or names, you pay the deposit for them when you change the reservation.

Four days later, this still adds up to a humungous non-issue.

1) Interest on money that Carnival is holding in deposit? A couple of dollars, wow!

2) Don't have that kind of money for a deposit? You will sooner or later, if you're capable of saving up for a cruise and all of the other costs, and you'll have to pay the full amount sooner or later. Wait one month or two, save up the remaining deposit due, and then book.

3) It's not fair compared to this or that rule applying to some other cruiser? Who cares? If you talk to 10 different cruisers on the same ship (or 10 different passengers on the same airline, or 10 different guests in the same hotel), you'll likely hear a different rate for each of them. In fact, if you ask me how much I paid for my last bag of broccoli, I bet one of us got a better deal. Whoah, the horrors!

If you still don't like it, you can take action. Complain to Carnival and hope that they come around, eventually. Or dive into some other cruise line and start building up your list of grievances about their rules.

They must have finally figured out people were booking one person to have a smaller deposit and then adding more later.

Well considering that everybody and their brother posts on this bulletin board (and others) every infraction they've been able to "get away with" (liquor 'smuggling', single booking/deposit, to name only a couple) I would imagine the cruise line(s) peruse these sites and come up with ways to thwart the perpetrators.

Each and every one of us who posts about 'getting away with' something and then moans and groans about changes by the cruise line(s) has only done it to themselves (and me, and you).

So when will CCL realize they are penalizing solo travelers? Next CCL could require solos to pay 200% gratuities because the stewards and waiters aren't getting their normal gratuity, because some single person booked an inside cabin that could have up to four people. Don't get me wrong, the stewards and waiters work extremely hard and I have no problem paying the gratuity. But I pay the tips over and beyond the $11.50 a day because I want to, not because CCL could (as a hypothetical) require it because I m causing them lost revenue by traveling solo.

sshhhhhhh ... you gotta point... but someone could be listening...;)

Just ordered a tshirt from carnival that says "carnival, UNFRIENDLY to Solo Cruisers". should make an interesting boarding photo.

Carnival ia a business. Blame the people who deposit as a single then add another person.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Archived