Future solo/single passengers might want to read:

DGP1111

.... interesting that Carnival wants a solo to pay deposit for two people, then wants a solo to pay the fare for two people, but when it comes to awarding VIFP points a solo only gets credited for one.

I think if you pay for two...you should get rewarded for two.

I think it would be a great idea for Carnival to do this; however it's not likely.

If they did that, you would have people complaining who book balconies or suites or cruise at peak times that they too should get additional points.

Unfortunately Carnival can't really base the program on how much you pay versus how many days you are physically onboard.

Whether you pay a 100% deposit or a 200% deposit you are still paying the same for the cruise in the end right? All that is changing is SOLOS are paying more upfont am I correct?

If thats what Im reading, this wont affect me as a solo cruiser because I usually pay my cruise off within two payments anyway and under EARLY SAVER. The only thing I see possibly bad about it could be a "non-refundable deposit" ....... and that is IF A CANCELLATION ever came into affect.

Honestly, how often does that happen anyway? NONE for me and thats what the travel insurance is for.

It just amuses me how people react like THEIR WORLD IS CRASHING DOWN and they will never cruise Carnival again

The cruise fare is the same, so why does carnival need 200% of the per person deposit at the time of booking? They'll get all the money anyway...

:rolleyes:

Im finding it still amusing how many people cant say .. "this is how I feel about it" without getting into.. "I dont know why YOU have to feel that way.. people are overreacting, their reactions are WRONG" .. and not able to respect how others might feel.

So little respect for others..

I cant believe how many people feel the need to tell others how to FEEL, as if people dont have the right to react how they want. This is about how you FEEL about this.. the facts are already known. Why cant some people respect how others feel and feel the need to dictate feelings.

Its not like this is a black and white issue when people are just discussing their own personal reactions.

So, if I now have today for 2 people as a single and a double deposit, does that mean my 7 day cruise counts as 14 days since that is what I am actually paying for?

No. But you knew that.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I finally got to read CCL's official FAQ's on this subject.

CCL says this is a policy that will change the deposit requirement for single occupancy guests from 100% to 200% of the per person amount. Per person, not per cabin. So anyone else who books a cabin with anyone else in the cabin only has to pay 100% of the per person deposit. Three people then would have to pay $750 deposit ($250 each), but I will have to pay $500 for one. So solos are being targeted for this deposit increase. If CCL was trying to boost revenues, why not require everyone to pay 200% of the deposit requirements? It does not appear that CCL will change the policy from "per person" to "per cabin". It wouldn't be good for business for families to have to pay a 200% deposit.

CCL says they are changing this policy "to help us bring alignment to the cruise fare payment, which is currently 200% for single occupancy guests." What this appears to me is bringing alignment to CCL's computer software. If you are paying for two people, you should pay two deposits. It keeps the programming really simple. Any other response by CCL sounds like spin to me.

Im finding it still amusing how many people cant say .. "this is how I feel about it" without getting into.. "I dont know why YOU have to feel that way.. people are overreacting, their reactions are WRONG" .. and not able to respect how others might feel.

So little respect for others..

I cant believe how many people feel the need to tell others how to FEEL, as if people dont have the right to react how they want. This is about how you FEEL about this.. the facts are already known. Why cant some people respect how others feel and feel the need to dictate feelings.

Its not like this is a black and white issue when people are just discussing their own personal reactions.

Because haven't you noticed these boards get nastier every day. No one is allowed an opinion if it is not the poster's opinion. :rolleyes:

Not arguing anything here, but if there are three in a cabin, does this mean we pay deposit for only the cabin (two) and not per person (three)?

Kathy

No the third person pays full deposit too (even if the full deposit is more then the third person rate).

Your "twice as much $$" ($500) = EXACTLY my $$$ ($500). What's not right about that?

In no way am I intending to negate you opinion/feeling, as I can certainly understand the thought process, but I do (personally) believe one adjustment to your words above would make the sentence more accurate:

Your "twice as much $$" ($500) = EXACTLY our $$$ ($500). What's not right about that?

One is singular, and one is plural . . . and for a reason.

Again, I do respect your thoughts on the new change(s). Happy sailing!! :)

Whether you pay a 100% deposit or a 200% deposit you are still paying the same for the cruise in the end right? All that is changing is SOLOS are paying more upfont am I correct?

Absolutely 100% correct.

Also, here's hoping you'll have a great upcoming sailing on Carnival Legend. Great ship!! :)

I think it is the right thing for carnival and those of us that pay full deposits. Why should someone tie up a much sought after cabin for half deposit while they decide if they really are going to cruise or if they can find a roomie and then cancel. The fare will be the same if they give a half or full deposit so why not just pay upfront. In the long run what's the difference? It will also prevent maybe cruisers from making the ship look fuller and driving up fares as happens when occupancy gets close to 100%.

I think it is the right thing for carnival and those of us that pay full deposits. Why should someone tie up a much sought after cabin for half deposit while they decide if they really are going to cruise or if they can find a roomie and then cancel. The fare will be the same if they give a half or full deposit so why not just pay upfront. In the long run what's the difference? It will also prevent maybe cruisers from making the ship look fuller and driving up fares as happens when occupancy gets close to 100%.

I would agree with this but, surely there is a way of doing this without inconveniencing the true solo cruiser.

I don't pay much attention to deposits, since I concentrate almost totally on the bottom line cost, and I've been booking close to sail dates for the past few years.

However, I can see where it'll be a huge impact if other lines start following suit with the double deposit. I'm preparing myself for a day when cruising won't be such an attractive vacation for solos.

I would agree with this but, surely there is a way of doing this without inconveniencing the true solo cruiser.

Or making them put at risk twice the amount of deposit as before if they book ES. I think a lot of people dont get that more money is now nonrefundable who say .. who cares. I never change .. but no one ever plans on a change, life happens. Who books ES planning to change.. no one.

I plan on avoiding ES in the future .. but this makes it double sure I will try and avoid it.

I don't really see the inconvenience since the fare is identical if the deposit is half or whole. The bottom line doesn't change so why does it matter.

Or making them put at risk twice the amount of deposit as before if they book ES. I think a lot of people dont get that more money is now nonrefundable who say .. who cares. I never change .. but no one ever plans on a change, life happens. Who books ES planning to change.. no one.

I plan on avoiding ES in the future .. but this makes it double sure I will try and avoid it.

Actually you can change and pay a small change fee

"*Early Saver: Cruise rates are in US dollars, per person, based on double occupancy, capacity controlled and subject to change at any time without prior notice. Government taxes and fees are from $17.83 to $279.52 additional for each guest based on itinerary. A non-refundable and non-transferable deposit is required at the time of booking for all guests to secure confirmed accommodations. Fares are backed by a unique price protection policy. Full names are required for each guest. Offer is valid for new bookings only and is not combinable with any other discounted or promotional offer. Available on sailings 3 months prior to sail date for short cruises (5 days or less) and available on sailings 5 months prior to sail date for long cruises (6 days or longer). Savings are based on Fun Select rates and vary by sailings. Category restrictions and exclusions apply. No name changes are allowed. No downgrades are allowed. A $50 service fee will be assessed per person for ship and/or sail date changes made prior to the final payment due date. Cancellation penalties apply. Request Early Saver. Ships' Registry: The Bahamas & Panama."

I just did a booking, the ES was less, but, I booked at a slightly higher rate because of ES penalty. My chances of not going are slim, but possible.

I too am considering a future booking - but will definitely NOT book ES at this time cuz I don't want to be tying up that much $$ for over a year - and in case of change/cancellation they would still be holding the bulk of my $$ for possibly another 2 years?

I plan to book another rate- and then switch to early saver later on if still available!

Since people are saying it should be per cabin, rather than per person....

Then couples that book 7 day cruises in cabins that can hold 3 people, they should be required to pay $375,rather than $250, for that third person. Since we want things to be "logical" lol

Very good point! :D

You all continue to enjoy cruising at prices that are very nearly the same as they were five years ago. Imagine the hell you'd all raise if Carnival implemented a huge across-the-board fare increase thanks to greatly increased costs. And in case you haven't noticed, costs continue to rise even when our salaries are not.

Solo cruisers are not paying the same price we paid 5 years ago. My first solo cruise on the Paradise, 4 day Baja Mexico, was $285, taxes and port charges included. My second solo cruise on the Freedom, 6 day western, was $475, taxes and port charges included. My third solo was after the 200% single supplement was implemented, 5 day Inspiration western, $638, no taxes or port charges included. We ARE in fact paying more, and yes hell was raised when they told us we'd have to start paying 200%.

So, all you two-per cabin cruisers, how would you feel if Carnival told you that your deposit would now be $500 per person?

I could care less. My cruise price wouldn't change.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

They are blaming solos for this. There is no way for them to know if someone who booked only one name so they didn't need to pay 2 deposits and later decided not to go intended to go solo or with someone. They can't have statistics. In my 6 solo cruises I have cancelled one to go on a longer one and paid the $50 penalty as it was ES. It's not something solos are notorious for doing.

I will never book ES again.

Archived