US currency issues

Geldhart

My mother is losing site but still can make out some colour. She is adapting but will take some time. Her big issue for her upcoming trip is handling American currency - she can't tell what is what.

She can currently distinguish Canadian currency because of colour and is working on the braille on them.

Is there a way to tell US bills apart easily by someone who is losing their site? Especially for someone who is not that familiar with US bills to start with. (ie looking for Lincoln picture means nothing to her)

There's absolutely nothing for someone who's losing their sight to distinguish one bill from another. I would suggest that someone help her in the beginning by making out envelopes with large numbers printed on the envelop $1, $5, $10, $20) and divide her currency by denomination.

But to be honest, on a cruise, if she makes sure to prepay just about everything, there's no need to handle cash. If she puts her on board charges on a credit card, then everything is taken care of. She would just have to have small bills for things like tipping for room service or tips for the guide and driver on tours. That way, all she'd really need is $1's and $5's for the trip, and she could probably keep those separate via using the envelop system. And if she goes off into a town, if she purchases something, it's always better to do that with a credit card.

I have to ask, is she traveling on her own? If so, and her sight is so bad, how will she manage on her own with no assistance? Does she have an assistance dog? If she weren't traveling on her own, then the person with her could handle her finances. But short of that, unfortunately there's no way to distinguish one bill from another for a person who's sight is that poor.

Good luck to you and her in trying to devise something that will work.

I have always thought that US dollar notes strange inasmuch that they all look the same. However, I never thought of implications for visualy impaired people.

Surely, it is time the US government considered changing the notes and making each denomination a differnt colour as with all other major currencies.

I've seen visually impaired folks fold their bills a certain way. i.s. $1 not folded, $5 folded in half side-to-side, $10 folded in half, top-to-bottom, $20 folded in thirds. Or some other such method

She is traveling with my Dad but does like to maintain her own independence. Perhaps a bit too stubborn, but it is a skill that is worth developing if possible.

No service dog, but how would a dog help with bills?

Separate envelopes is good. She can use different sized ones.

Yup, she will be prepaying most things, but cash is still needed. They don't like using credit cards very much, but have no issues paying RCCL, but would be nervous using them in the Caribbean.

She is traveling with my Dad but does like to maintain her own independence. Perhaps a bit too stubborn, but it is a skill that is worth developing if possible.

Yup, she will be prepaying most things, but cash is still needed. They don't like using credit cards very much, but have no issues paying RCCL, but would be nervous using them in the Caribbean.

How about a bill fold/wallet with multi compartments, with adistinguishable side, like a mans' folding wallet, that way she can sort the bills by compartment. :confused: :rolleyes:

Cato :)

Completed Cruises !

Pre-cruise Days - The Big Red Boat, 1993 ??

1st cruise - Coral Princess, 19 November 2008, 10 day Panama Canal, FLL to ACA

2nd cruise - Coral Princess, 15 May 2009, 3 day Repositioning, Los Angeles to Vancouver.

3rd cruise - Sapphire Princess, 25 November 2009? 7 day Mexican Riviera.

4th cruise - Golden Princes, 12 June 2010, 7 day Alaska. (Golden Anniversary Cruise)

5th Cruise - Island Princess, 04 October 2010, Vancouver - Los Angeles, Repositioning

6th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 05 January 2011, 10 day Mexican Riviera. LA to LA.

7th cruise - Golden Princess, 11 May 2011, 3 day, LA to Vancouver, Repositioning

8th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 14 May 2011, 1 day, Vancouver to Seattle, Repositioning

9th cruise - Coral Princess 19 May 2011 2 day, San Francisco to Vancouver, Repositioning

10th & 11th cruises - Coral Princess 02 July to 16 July 2011, round trip Vancouver - Whittier Alaska, B2B

12th & 13th cruises - Sapphire Princess, x2, Cabins, 18 Sep. 2011, 1 day, Seattle to Vancouver, Repositioning

14th & 15th cruises - Golden Princess, x2, Cabins, 24 Sep. 2011, 1 day, Seattle to Vancouver, Repositioning.

We have now reached Elite status with Princess Cruise Lines

16th cruise - Oasis of the Seas, 26 Nov. 2011, 7 day, Western Caribbean, Ft. Lauderdale, Ret.

17th & 18th cruises - Crown Princess B2B, 03 - 10 Dec & 10 - 17 Dec 2011, 14 Days, South & western Caribbean

19th cruise - Grand Princess, 31 Mar. - 07Jun.0212 7 Days, Eastern Caribbean, FLL - FLL

20th cruise - Island Princess, 06-16 June 2012, 10 day cruisetour Vancouver - Wittier

Future & Hopeful Cruises !

( Already booked )

21th cruise - Emerald Princess, 16 day, 10 - 26 Sep. 2012, TA, Copenhagen - New York.

22 & 23rd cruises - Sapphire Princess B2B, 04 - 11 May & 11 - 18 May, 2013, California Coastal & Wine Country

24th cruise - Royal Princess 16 June - 05 July, 2013, 19 Day Inaugural cruise, Southampton - Venice.

25th cruise - Emerald Princess, 01 Oct. - 16 Oct. 2013, 16 Day Cruisetour, Toronto Via Quebec City to New York City

Comment does not apply to those with impaired vision.

I always find it funny when those not from the US wonder how we can live with the notes being the same size and color.

I can tell you, as one who has been in over 60 countries, that different colors and sizes don't help me one bit. Maybe if I stayed in one country for months it would. I still have to look at the note for the numbers.

HOWEVER, I can can tell a US $5 from a $20bill from across the room with the quickest glance. Same with coins.

Of course, none of this is to negate the value of changing our currency to make it easier for those with vision impairments to have it a little easier

Her solution is this:

She already has a wallet with 3 divisions. She will presort (with my dad's help) $1, $5, and $20 bills. She can tell the coins apart since they are pretty close to Canadian coins so they will just go in her change purse, any paper change will be put in another part of her purse to be sorted later.

To help her remember which is which a bit better (vision loss is new to her) she will put in a Canadian $5 and $20 bill in with the US versions to label them.

My husband who is blind and travels to California for work every year and has to use the american money also says it sucks. He keeps 1's in one pants pocket and 5's in another pants pocket and in his wallet he has 20's and 10's from big to smaller denominations He folds the 10s in half an has the 20s flat. He also tries to do everything with his credit card or debit if they have machines that have a bip on the 5 and easily distinguised buttons those touch screen ones are useless to him. Also with using a credit card if you get screwed you can claim that they screwed you and you get your money back - with cash you have to rely on the honesty of merchants. BTW the Blind Film Critic is hilarious and really helps answer some interesting questions concerning the hurdles facing people who are blind. Also tell her to bring her cane as an identifier even if she is with her husband as it allows people to know she has a visual impairment and will hopefully "think" before doing something like grabbing her arm to guide her somewhere.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UF4j3x6PJM0

Also here is one on bill folding

Also a Iphone app for 1.99 can be made to identify american bills

LookTel Money Reader is now available in the app store for $1.99!

Read more at http://www.LookTel.com

We also got one of these from Maxiaids (they ship to canada) for $4 you need a sighted person to help identify the $ first then you braille it yourself and use it.

http://www.maxiaids.com/products/205/Click-Pocket-Money-Brailler.html

Jenn in Canada (near Ottawa) travelling on first cruise in 2 weeks with 1 VI adult and 1 VI child and one sighted chicld - sooo excited ;)

I can tell you, as one who has been in over 60 countries, that different colors and sizes don't help me one bit. Maybe if I stayed in one country for months it would. I still have to look at the note for the numbers.

This is because you were born in US, and used to US currency. I was born in a country that has different colors for different denominations, and it was shocking the first few years in the US. From just a quick glance at the color I knew what bill I have while in the US it's all the same.

Being on vacations there is just no need to get into the color routine.

Archived