Who do you think has the best first class domestic flights and why?

lovevacadays

The bigger difference is the type of aircraft rather than the airline. I've upgraded with points, perks, or given up my coach seat to later be seated in 1st class. I fly frequently cross country (NY to either SFO or LAX) Though it's a lot nicer in 1st class, I would never, ever pay $4K as opposed to $350, for a 5 1/2 hr flight, especially if it's a non-stop. As an aside, I just don't get it. "Once upon a time" you sailed trans-Atlantic in first class and the fare was approx double, but you were getting 6-8 days of a nicer cabin, more public space, more elegant surroundings, way more dining choices (not necessarily "Better" food, just more choices), served more elegantly, and a higher level of service. Now, they want 10 times as much to fly 1st class where you sit in a seat for 6-8 hours!!

• 2 weeks later...
The bigger difference is the type of aircraft rather than the airline. I've upgraded with points, perks, or given up my coach seat to later be seated in 1st class. I fly frequently cross country (NY to either SFO or LAX) Though it's a lot nicer in 1st class, I would never, ever pay $4K as opposed to $350, for a 5 1/2 hr flight, especially if it's a non-stop. As an aside, I just don't get it. "Once upon a time" you sailed trans-Atlantic in first class and the fare was approx double, but you were getting 6-8 days of a nicer cabin, more public space, more elegant surroundings, way more dining choices (not necessarily "Better" food, just more choices), served more elegantly, and a higher level of service. Now, they want 10 times as much to fly 1st class where you sit in a seat for 6-8 hours!!

Thanks for your post. I am definitely getting from eveyone's posts that it isn't necessarily about the airline but about the type of aircraft and the route.

I'm with you in that I wouldn't pay $4k for a first class ticket for a 5 or so hour flight. But, I have seen many for $1500-$2000 from where I live to Fort Lauderdale. That I would do. The last time I flew coach (2011) I had the misfortune:eek::eek::eek: to end up in a middle seat (even though I requested an aisle). The man to my left was easily 300 pounds (probably more) and the man to my right wasn't overweight but had very broad shoulders. I was actually thankful to the man to my right because he went to sleep against the window so I had marginal room. The man to my left actually was occupying about 1/3 of my seat. I literally had to sit forward in my seat for most of my five hour flight if I didn't want to have his body covering and I mean covering 1/3 of mine. It was one of the most miserable things I have experienced. A few times I thought I was going to have a real anxiety attack. My legs were so cramped because I couldn't sit normally in my seat. I did have to sit back a few times to avoid cramps and then this man's body was covering 1/3 of mine. Not only was it very hot it was just icky.

Don't think I'm one who is picking on someone overweight. I have gained 40 pounds since that flight but am now on my way to losing that weight. I never, ever would have made any type of statements about overweight passengers on flights and if they should have to book two seats as I have a friend who is significantly overweight and as I said I am carrying more weight than I would like. Weight gain happens to us all for many reasons. However, in this case I really felt like I should have handed this man a bill for 1/3 of my airfare.

This is why I would forgo somethings in my cruise budget to be able to fly first class. I would never want to repeat this miserable experience.

Oops, I digress! I started the thread to find out about people's first class domestic experiences.

The advantage you get in first class today is the roomier seat, earlier boarding, free checked bags, and free alcohol if you choose. The "meal" if served is not worth the price. Most first class seats today are filled by frequent flyer/loyalty upgrades.

Meant to add that recent experience on Delta and Continental(now United but still very evident a CO aircraft and crew) were the best for us. I agree it's about the aircraft and the schedule. Prefer a wide body aircraft for mid to long haul.

Meant to add that recent experience on Delta and Continental(now United but still very evident a CO aircraft and crew) were the best for us. I agree it's about the aircraft and the schedule. Prefer a wide body aircraft for mid to long haul.

Thanks. I appreciate the information. I wouldn't mind flying Continental again just to eat at one of the restaurants in the hub my friend and I ate in a few years back. I don't remember the name but it had the very best mozzarella sticks I have ever had.

Domestic First Class gets you shorter security lines (some airports), priority boarding, a slightly bigger seat and some food, the amount/sort of which depends on the length and time of day of your flight. Oh and free drinks. Not generally worth the the significant additional cost unless you have physical reasons for needing that bigger seat. ----------------------

Helen

Or you have a 17" laptop and need to use time in the air productively.

Archived