Naples - Pizza close to the port

LoraJ

We are doing a tour to Pompeii in the morning and once we return I would like to venture out for some pizza. Any suggestions of a place we could walk to around the port? Or should we take a cab somewhere instead?

Naples is one of the poorest cities in Italy. I went there by train in 2002 and the Naples train station was one of the worst I've ever encountered. I took the train to Sorrento which was fantastic. However I had no desire to explore outside of the Naples train station.

When I returned to Naples by ship in 2007- I was shocked at how poverty-stricken it was in comparison to other parts of Italy.

If you plan to explore the city- I'd do it by taxi and not on foot. I feel like it is one of those places where the cops aren't going to do anything if you are robbed.

I've spent weeks living in an apartment two blocks from the cruise port (in 2010, 2011, and 2012) and I walked and took buses all over Naples. It certainly is not picture perfect, but it's vibrant, full of things to do and see, and as safe as most other large cities. I hardly think a glimpse of the train station ten years ago followed by what, an hour or so before and after an excursion five years ago, gives anyone much perspective at all.

I've spent weeks living in an apartment two blocks from the cruise port (in 2010, 2011, and 2012) and I walked and took buses all over Naples. It certainly is not picture perfect, but it's vibrant, full of things to do and see, and as safe as most other large cities. I hardly think a glimpse of the train station ten years ago followed by what, an hour or so before and after an excursion five years ago, gives anyone much perspective at all.

Agree entirely! I have never felt anything but completely safe walking round Naples.

I had spent a summer in Italy in 1980 and remembered Naples as being a fun place. I never felt unsafe and there were plenty of handsome uniformed policemen- so perhaps at the age I was was more interested in that type of Italian scenery than the architecture.

When I returned via train from Rome to Naples- I was shocked at the condition of the train station and the sinister looking people that lurked there. Just telling you what I encountered. I did look around outside for a possible dinner place and there was nothing but I felt uncomfortable in that area. I took the train to Sorrento and it was like a breath of fresh air- beautiful.

On my second trip- we sailed into the harbor and I was shocked at how much poverty abounds. I had no desire to explore by foot and we did the ship bus to Pompeii which I greatly enjoyed.

If I went back to Naples- walking around the city wouldn't be high on my list but if others say they have and felt comfortable- then I believe them.

If I went back to Naples- walking around the city wouldn't be high on my list but if others say they have and felt comfortable- then I believe them.

I respect your opinion; however, we spent a day walking Naples in 2010 and never felt our safety was at risk. IMHO Naples is not as quaint as Rome, Florence or Venice, but we still enjoyed our day there.

As mentioned above, I would agree a visit to Da Michele should not be missed. It's about a 15-20 walk depending where your ship is berthed.

Lew

Just got back from Naples. Unfortunately, many of the stores and pizza places were closed as we were there on a Sunday. We did find a nice place "under the arch", in an alley full of graffiti. The pizza was great! The town was littered with broken bottles and graffiti. Still, we felt safe the whole time.

Naples is one of the poorest cities in Italy. I went there by train in 2002 and the Naples train station was one of the worst I've ever encountered. I took the train to Sorrento which was fantastic. However I had no desire to explore outside of the Naples train station.

When I returned to Naples by ship in 2007- I was shocked at how poverty-stricken it was in comparison to other parts of Italy.

If you plan to explore the city- I'd do it by taxi and not on foot. I feel like it is one of those places where the cops aren't going to do anything if you are robbed.

I agree with you. We felt Naples was dirty, full of garbage and litter in the streets. Lots of flies, rude people and congestion. We bumped into a bar tender from our ship as we walked around the area near the ship. He had planned to go get some pizza but felt uncomfortable so he went to a McDonald's near the ship instead. We spent 15 or 20 minutes walking around and went back to the ship. While we did not feel unsafe close to the port, I would suggest that a tour outside the area is a smart thing to do.

Although we are no fans of Naples we are not sure all the negative posts are very accurate. Naples is like many large cities in that is has some lousy neighborhoods and like many cities with a port, the area close to the port is not exactly the high rent district. But Naples does have its nice areas (take the Funicular up to the high ground), typical large city shopping, some nice restaurants, a world-class musuem, etc. Most cruise passengers just do not get far enough from the port to find the better parts of town. That being said, when we are in this part of Italy we tend to spend very little time in Naples since we have a few other places like Pompeii, Herculanium, Capri, Ischia, Procidia, Sorrento, Positano, The Amalfi Drive, Ravello, Salerno, Paestum, etc. In other words, it is a fantastic part of Italy :)

We do agree that too much of Naples is dirty (a friend of ours says the same about Paris) and they have a history of nasty garbage strikes.

Hank

I live in a city and there is garbage on my street and people break into parked cars as well as buildings. I am used to it and don't care.

I just want to know where to get pizza. ;) I hear there is always a wait for Da Michelle, so any other suggestions just in case?

We will be looking to go just before noon after our Pompeii excursion.

Thank you. :)

There are hundreds of excellent pizza places in Naples. Lots of people will recommend DiMatteo, others like Antica Pizzeria Port'Alba (I didn't think this one was all that special) or Il Pizzaiolo del Presidente (http://www.ilpizzaiolodelpresidente.it/).

In October last year we went to Cantanapoli (Via Chiatamone, 36) which is a one mile walk along the waterfront from the cruise port and enjoyed it enough that we went back in March this year.

I think the important thing is to be sure that you pick a place that is a member of the AVPN (Association of True Neopalitan Pizza). Here is the current list of members in Naples, from their web site (http://www.pizzanapoletana.org/showreg.php?r=Campania)

There are hundreds of excellent pizza places in Naples. Lots of people will recommend DiMatteo, others like Antica Pizzeria Port'Alba (I didn't think this one was all that special) or Il Pizzaiolo del Presidente (http://www.ilpizzaiolodelpresidente.it/).

In October last year we went to Cantanapoli (Via Chiatamone, 36) which is a one mile walk along the waterfront from the cruise port and enjoyed it enough that we went back in March this year.

I think the important thing is to be sure that you pick a place that is a member of the AVPN (Association of True Neopalitan Pizza). Here is the current list of members in Naples, from their web site (http://www.pizzanapoletana.org/showreg.php?r=Campania)

I live in a city and there is garbage on my street and people break into parked cars as well as buildings. I am used to it and don't care.

I just want to know where to get pizza. ;) I hear there is always a wait for Da Michelle, so any other suggestions just in case?

We will be looking to go just before noon after our Pompeii excursion.

That's kind of an odd thing to say about ones own City. You don't care about garbage on your street?

That's kind of an odd thing to say about ones own City. You don't care about garbage on your street?

If you live in older eastern city with budget problems, garbage on the street, while unpleasant if not picked up, may not be your greatest concern.

If you live in older eastern city with budget problems, garbage on the street, while unpleasant if not picked up, may not be your greatest concern.

Thank heavens I live on the West Coast. Our cities and State is broke, but they still pick up trash from our homes once a week.

I, my 11 yo and 14 yo son along with about 7 friends took the train to Pompeii and Herculaneum and then walked to get pizza in Naples in 2007. We followed Rick Steve's directions, dodged a guy riding his motorcycle on the sidewalk, and made it to Da Michelle. Yum- it was really good, and my boys still talk about our adventure in Naples. We will go back in June 0f 2013. We might try the Trianon this time.

As people have said a zillion times on the boards-be smart, keep an eye open at all times, and act like you know what you are doing, and you'll be fine almost everywhere you go. You travel to see everything!

I live across the street from a school and their garbage flies around everywhere and it doesn't get picked up from in front of the parking lot fences on the street. All I asked was about pizza, not judgements on cities. I am aware of how Naples is.

I, my 11 yo and 14 yo son along with about 7 friends took the train to Pompeii and Herculaneum and then walked to get pizza in Naples in 2007. We followed Rick Steve's directions, dodged a guy riding his motorcycle on the sidewalk, and made it to Da Michelle. Yum- it was really good, and my boys still talk about our adventure in Naples. We will go back in June 0f 2013. We might try the Trianon this time.

As people have said a zillion times on the boards-be smart, keep an eye open at all times, and act like you know what you are doing, and you'll be fine almost everywhere you go. You travel to see everything!

Did you have a long wait at Da Michelle?

If your starting point is the cruise port (you said you are returning from an excursion to Pompei but didn't specify if it was a ship's tour or DIY) and you are interested in trying Cantanapoli (Via Chiatamone, 36) but don't want to walk the one mile, you can get a bus right across the street from the port.

The bus stop is behind the castle and is called Acton. You could take the 140, 151, 154 or R3 and get off at the first stop after the bus comes out of the tunnel under the royal palace. The stop will be either Morelli or Arcoleo depending on which bus you get on. From either bus stop to the restaurant is three tenths of a mile (south and then east as the road bends).

• 2 weeks later...

Euro Cruiser, you have made me very happy! :D:D:D

I have been following this thread (and RME with you Lora) waiting for a helpful response. I will be going to Herculaneum, having already been to Pompei, Sorrento, Amalfi. I just want some Pizza!

Thanks again, and thanks Lora for sticking with it!

Eurocruiser,

Thanks for the great info. Our plan for the day is Herculaneum via train, the Archaeological Museum, and a good lunch with local wine and people watching. How would you suggest we set up our day? We want a trattoria where the locals eat. Our favorite restaurants are small and family-run.

Marsha

What a narrow-minded view! We've walked all over Naples several times with no problem, and will do so again next month. Yes, it's a bit rundown and dirty in places, and not so tourist-friendly as Barcelona or Venice, but it's still a fascinating city.

Get out and see a bit of real life.

Eurocruiser,

Thanks for the great info. Our plan for the day is Herculaneum via train, the Archaeological Museum, and a good lunch with local wine and people watching. How would you suggest we set up our day? We want a trattoria where the locals eat. Our favorite restaurants are small and family-run.

Marsha

I would head out to Herculaneum first thing in the morning. Using the Cirumvesusiana and walking (head south from the Ercolano Scavi station down Via IV Novembre for one third of a mile) you can be there by 9 AM (assuming you have a 7 AM arrival in Naples).

Giving yourself two hours to see the ruins, you can be back in Naples just before noon (you can get the Circumvesuviana train schedule here: http://www.vesuviana.it/web/en/Orari).

It will be a little early for lunch at this point, if you are up for a short walk (one and a third miles) you can stroll from the train station (for this walk it doesn't matter if you get off at the Garibaldi station, the next to the last one, or Porta Nolana, the final station) through Spaccanapoli to my current favorite retaurant in Naples, Il Garum (web site here: http://ilgarum.it/?area=home). I walked past this place and looked at the menu for several days about five years ago; I finally went in for lunch one day and have been back every visit since. The food is wonderful and they have both outdoor seating in the piazza (inside a large gazebo-like structure) and inside the restaurant.

From Il Garum to the Archeological museum is a half mile walk, part of that uphill. You can get a bus on Via Monteoliveto to the museum, just look at the signs at the bus stop and select one of the lines that has "Museo" on its list of stops.

From the museum back to the ship is a lovely walk, straight down Via Toledo, one of the major shopping streets in Naples. This walk (a little over one mile) is almost entirely downhill so it's nice at the end of the day.

Archived