ID in luggage

april47

What kind of ID do you feel safe putting inside your luggage in case the airlines mess up and lose your luggage? Name, ship, phone? Date?Address? I only have a cell phone that probably won't work during my cruise.

We place our name and address. We don't fly but if our luggage tags are lost and there is a question of whether or not that is our piece of luggage sitting in the purser's office the address label it makes it easy to prove that it is.

We have name, cell phones and c/- my parent's address so it's not advertising our empty addresss (more to prevent the opportunistic person rather than the one who can look us up in the phone book :rolleyes: ). In the past I've also used a work address when I lived away from my home town.

As we're having a four-day pre-cruise stay, I've also included a brief itinerary with dates, flight numbers and our hotel address - if a bag gets accidentally left, say, in a taxi, it will help them to know whether it needs to go to the airport, the port or our hotel.

As mentioned above, we would never put our home address. We have an envelope labeled "Emergency Documents". Inside is a sheet with emergency phone numbers and also our itinerary. If our luggage gets lost, they may need to know where we are and the detailed itinerary helps (information such as ship name and phone number, dates and times you will be in each port).

Also in our suitcase -- in a different place -- is a copy of our passports.

Only name and final destination airport with note saying to hold bag there - will contact.

Never home address.

If the bag should be lost or stolen, we don't want any unknown person to have access to any personal information about us at all.

If a bag does not show up at baggage claim, then we file the usual report at the airline's baggage claim office and give further instructions with details at that time, to be entered into the airline's computer tracking system.

It always counts on where we're going and how. Traveling to my sister's home, it'll have my cell phone, her address (as my destination), and her phone numbers. Oh, and an e-mail address.

If we're going all over (like driving through Britain two years ago), a copy of our itinerary, with addresses & phone numbers of the B & B's/hotels we are staying at. Plus phone (if we're using one) and e-mail address.

Flying to a cruise, it would be the flight, hotel for first-night stay, and cruise line (and ports/dates), plus phone number and e-mail.

I put my business cards in several places inside. My luggage tag has my name and cell phone only. My office has my itinerary.

I always pack at least a couple days worth of clothes plus my makeup and any difficult to replace toiletries (eye makeup remover for example) in my carry on.

Every time I fly anywhere (which is frequent), I put the following in an unlocked part of the bag:

Name

Airline Confirmation Code

Mobile Phone Number

Flights (airline, number, times)

Hotel at destination

Business address back home (for return flights)

Inside my luggage is my name, brief itinerary and contact info for the travel agent. (I asked first.) My TA has a 1-800 number running 24/7. My work can not do this since only open weekdays during business hours. Given time zones work could not help getting my luggage back to me. However, the TA knows all. See you do pay these people for things they may never do.

(Alternately, I left all my travel info with a relative who could also do this function but a midnight phone call would be more disruptive.)

I do not and would not put a photocopy of my passport in my luggage. It is not a person crossing a border. I keep a photocopy of the info page in my wallet while I travel. I scanned it and could get same from an email address which I could get to most anywhere.

Going "there" I put my name, hotel address, hotel phone.

Moving on - from hotel to the cruise, my name, all cruise info including cabin #, cruise line phone.

Going home I put my name and home phone number - and work address.

Archived