Sydney Opera House

rkhtex

We will be in Sydney early March 2013. We would REALLY like to actually see something at the Sydney Opera House (other than just doing the tour). Any idea when a schedule of shows might be available?

Thanks.

I also found the web site offered no events for March 2013. I rang the Opera House and was advised that the schedule is usually on line for browsing and booking about three months out. We subscribe to the Australian Ballet and get the opportunity to advance book as do subscribers to the Opera and the Symphony. Open to the public bookings may not open until late 2012 or 2013. Some high profile events may be advertised earlier for advance booking so it is worth checking into the web site from time to time to try and catch something special that could co-incide with your dates. I hope you can find a performance that you want to see. It is a special venue. If you do decide to book ask for advice on seating and dinner plans when the time comes. Colleen

The opera should be on in early March if that is your thing. It is on on the smaller of the 2 halls- the larger is the concert hall. Single opera tickets usually go on sale in late November but keep checking around then. Even if a show is sold out - not usually the case before a show opens- subscribers keep on swapping their tickets so something should become available.

The concert hall is the more spectacular hall- thogh you may well be disappointed by all but the viewsw. The symphony should be on by then or there may be a number of other types of concerts.

The other options will be drama in the 2 smaller halls under the main theatres. If you are going for the Opera House expererience - read the views- this may not be the option for you but the shows are often great. Some may be harder to get into than othes- all should be on sale by December.

If you have no luck with tickets on the Opera House website try the sites of the various companies- Sydney Theatre, Sydney Symphony, Opera Australia etc as they often hold separate tickets. You should not really have problems getting into something if you book early enough. Compared to the US I think our opera tickets are overpriced. I used to go the Opera house a few times a week before children and cruising took over! Jennie

Sydney Symphony subscriptions opened today- no single tickets sales yet. March 5 has Beethoven and March 6-8 Jazz with James Morrison.Other things on later March. You can check out their website. Other concerts or events will probably be on the other dates. Jennie

The best website to look for the 2013 Opera program is in fact the website of OPERA AUSTRALIA . It will show the Opera program for both Sydney (Opera House) and Melbourne (State Theatre) .

Wagners RING CYCLE is being performed in Melbourne in November 2013 by Opera Australia and on line bookings are about to open (Aug 2012) . The Ring Cycle will not be performed in Sydney .

Experienced Australian Opera goers all say that for opera the acoustics in the State Theatre in Melbourne ( newer than Sydney's Opera House) are in fact much better than those in the actual Sydney Opera House. Another website for the RING CYCLE is Victorian Arts Centre .

Both Qantas and Virgin operate flights Melbourne - Sydney on high frequencies like every 30 minutes. Travel time is 1 hour .

No point trying to book for the Ring in Melbourne. It was totally sold out by subscribers -booked out within 24 hours in fact. You had to put in an booking form and there is no guarantee that you will even get tickets and where they would be. You also had to buy the whole cycle.

As I said for Opera Australia in my expereince, and lets face it this is from someone who used to go to the opers 2 or 3 times a week! - it pays to look both of the Opera Australia website and on the Opera House as they hold different tickets.

Opera Australia has not yet announced its 2013 season. They should do so in the next few weeks- subscriptions are usuually open in August sometime and single tickets sales in late November.

Opera goes used to joke that Australia has a wonderful opera house- the outside is in Sydney, the stage is n Melbourne and the acoustics are in Adelaide! Jennie

Where do I find schedules for any events February 2013 at the opera house?

See the first response to the OP's question about performances in March 2013. No events are up yet on the schedules for 2013. Here is the web site for checking up. http://www.sydneyoperahouse.com/whatson/index.aspx?eventsearch=1&pageno=1 Usual process select your dates on the left and tick what you are interested in attending.

I suggest you keep an eye on the site for "special" events and try for a more complete schedule in late October - Early November. Colleen

• 1 month later...
we're going to be in Sydney Dec 18-23, do you know if there are any christmas or special shows at the opera house? looks like the opera itself has no performances during that time.

This is what is on at the Opera House at that time -

http://www.sydneyoperahouse.com/Templates/WhatsOn/WhatsOn.aspx?enddate=23/12/2012&eventSearch=1&pageno=1&startdate=18/12/2012

Australian ballet - Swan Lake

Christmas Proms is for children.

They are starting to list operas for March but nothing on Sunday night, March 3. Is it possible that they don't have any shows on Sunday nights?
I think that what you see is what you'll get; I've checked it against another good database (Operabase). FWIW, I can't see any Sunday evening shows in Sydney for anything listed on Operabase during 2013, including South Pacific, although I don't know whether this is policy. (But Sunday evening shows at opera houses are IME pretty rare anyway.)

Keep checking the web site. We went through this for our visit in 2011 (we were also there earlier this year) and finally the schedule showed up. There was no opera on the night we desired but instead we say a performance of a play there and truly enjoyed it.

Keith

The best website to look for the 2013 Opera program is in fact the website of OPERA AUSTRALIA . It will show the Opera program for both Sydney (Opera House) and Melbourne (State Theatre) .

Wagners RING CYCLE is being performed in Melbourne in November 2013 by Opera Australia and on line bookings are about to open (Aug 2012) . The Ring Cycle will not be performed in Sydney .

Experienced Australian Opera goers all say that for opera the acoustics in the State Theatre in Melbourne ( newer than Sydney's Opera House) are in fact much better than those in the actual Sydney Opera House. Another website for the RING CYCLE is Victorian Arts Centre .

Both Qantas and Virgin operate flights Melbourne - Sydney on high frequencies like every 30 minutes. Travel time is 1 hour .

That is a good website, but it doesn't provide the general public prices. What do seats generally cost?

What do seats generally cost?
You can easily see this from the Sydney Opera House website. For example, here is the page for the current Butterfly, from which you can see:-
  • Monday to Friday & Matinee Adult $44 - $280
  • Saturday Matinee Adult $44 - $297
  • Saturday Evening Adult $44 - $297

Picking a particular Saturday evening reveals the following price categories still available for that show:-
  • Stalls Premium ($297.00)
  • Stalls A Reserve ($235.00)
  • Stalls B Reserve ($165.00)
  • Stalls C Reserve ($115.00)
  • Circle Premium ($297.00) - Limited Availability
  • Circle A Reserve ($235.00)
  • Circle B Reserve ($165.00)
  • Circle C Reserve ($115.00) - Limited Availability

I know this may be a silly question but for those of you who have been to the Opera House what did you wear?
It's not a silly question - opera houses around the world vary greatly.

Aussies are quite laid back, so anything "smart casual" should be fine. But there are likely to be some people that are a bit more dressed up, just because they want to be.

You will see every range of clothing in the foyer and around you, regardless of seat/price category - short of tuxedos and cocktail dresses or evening gowns, although these will appear at Gala nights and special events We dress according to where we are dining before hand and whether we are making an occasion of it. H rarely wears a dress shirt and tie. There are no dress restrictions as such and the audience will be an eclectic bunch and dress accordingly.

You can easily see this from the Sydney Opera House website. For example, here is the page for the current Butterfly, from which you can see:-Picking a particular Saturday evening reveals the following price categories still available for that show:-

Wow! Australia is expensive. Those prices are considerably more than we have in Chicago.

Kim and Robb,

My husband just looked at the Sydney Opera House website and saw that Glen Frey and The Eagles with the Sydney Philharmonic Orchestra are at the concert hall on Friday March 1, 2013. Unfortunately we do not arrive in Sydney until 8 AM Saturday. We would have gone to see the Eagles! Just thought you might be interested.

Annette & John

Archived