Global Entry

Benita

Since I have learned so much from posters here, I decided to share this one. After waiting at passport control for almost an hour in Miami recently and closer to 2 hours at JFK, I decided to participate in this program. It costs $100 a person for a five year membership (free if you have an AMEX Platinum card). You apply online, but have to go in person for an interview and to be photographed and fingerprinted.

When returning to many US airports - Miami and JFK included, there are special kiosks where you swipe your passport and place your hand for a fingerprint scan and check off a few customs questions - a card comes out and you walk right past the lines and get your luggage. Customs can still do random searches, but I figure it will save me hours on line.

It is also in the works to allow you to skip the TSA lines for domestic flights in many airports as well - or at least let you keep your shoes and belts on.

If anybody is interested, the website is https://goes-app.cbp.dhs.gov/

If anybody has the card and has used it, I would love some feedback.

It took almost no time for my husband and I. We filled out an online application and received an email invitation to make an appointment for an interview two days later. To get an interview in Ft. Lauderdale was a three month wait, but the office at the Miami airport is open from 10am-10pm Monday through Friday and they make two appointments every 20 minutes. We booked an appointment for two days later and were approved on the spot. They sent out a membership card, as well, which we received five days after the interview.

Benita, as you knoiw, we live over 100 miles from the nearest interview center. However, we usually fly internationally out of Miami.

Do you know if there is some way to schedule the interview so that it's concurrent with a scheduled flight, so we don't have to make a 240 mile round trip?

Since I have learned so much from posters here, I decided to share this one. After waiting at passport control for almost an hour in Miami recently and closer to 2 hours at JFK, I decided to participate in this program. It costs $100 a person for a five year membership (free if you have an AMEX Platinum card). You apply online, but have to go in person for an interview and to be photographed and fingerprinted.

When returning to many US airports - Miami and JFK included, there are special kiosks where you swipe your passport and place your hand for a fingerprint scan and check off a few customs questions - a card comes out and you walk right past the lines and get your luggage. Customs can still do random searches, but I figure it will save me hours on line.

It is also in the works to allow you to skip the TSA lines for domestic flights in many airports as well - or at least let you keep your shoes and belts on.

If anybody is interested, the website is https://goes-app.cbp.dhs.gov/

If anybody has the card and has used it, I would love some feedback.

Thank you for the input Benita. I have noticed people bypassing the normal lines and wondered what was going on. I will be applying.

Benita, as you knoiw, we live over 100 miles from the nearest interview center. However, we usually fly internationally out of Miami.

Do you know if there is some way to schedule the interview so that it's concurrent with a scheduled flight, so we don't have to make a 240 mile round trip?

You can make an appt. on line for an interview.

We arrived at LAX, along with two other planes. Were through immigration in 10 minutes. No lines for us. Then for customs after luggage, no wait either. Also works for some domestic airports for TSA inspections. (Boston is one)

Yes you can.

When we did the application process the waiting time at SFO was almost 30 days. We had a trip scheduled to Detroit for a family visit - there was no backlog there - scheduled it during our trip to DTW.

Don - you make the appointment online - the office is in the Miami airport, terminal J, across from the Luftansa checkin counter. The interview only takes about 10 minutes and they make them in 20 minute slots. Best of all, if approved, it is activated immediately, so you will be able to use it upon your return to Miami. You can go directly there and have your interview and then check in for your flight. If you do it the other way and check in first, you will not have to shlep your luggage through the airport, but if there is a long line at the airline checkin, you could miss your appointment, so I would probably make an appointment for an hour or so before you want to check in for your flight. If you wind up with a lot of time on your hands afterwards, there is a pretty good restaurant in the aiport at the top of the Miami Airport Hotel.

Another alternative is to make an appointment on the day you fly back into the Miami airport, but then you have to wait on the regular line to get through passport control and may miss your appointment. The interview center is only open Monday through Friday, so if you are there on a weekend, you are out of luck.

When we returned to JFK last night the Global Entry machine was "OUT OF ORDER" Luckily we were one of the first off the plane and got through immigration quickily. We also had a wonderful porter who got our luggage and whisked us through customs.

PS Our flight was held on the runway for 1/2 hour before while we waited for Air Force One to land!

When we returned to JFK last night the Global Entry machine was "OUT OF ORDER" Luckily we were one of the first off the plane and got through immigration quickily. We also had a wonderful porter who got our luggage and whisked us through customs.

PS Our flight was held on the runway for 1/2 hour before while we waited for Air Force One to land!

When we enrolled in Global Entry, we were told that if the kiosk is ever out of order, we could go to the head of the regular line. That hasn't happened to us but if it does, I suggest finding an agent first before just cutting the line.

We were also told that after we clear immigration at the kiosk, we can jump the line at customs after we get our luggage. Usually there is not much of a line there but there is often a sign that directs you to the front.

We have used ours a few times, and I have been thrown out each time. They had a hard time with my fingerprints at the interview. When the machine throws you out, the immigration agent closest to the machine will motion you over to him and you cut the line. It only takes an extra minute or so and then you are on your way.

Does anyone know what airports in the US the PSA will honor Global Entry and allow you to skip security.

Our passports expire next year and we are wondering if Global Entry will reappear on the new passport or will we have to reapply.

Don - you make the appointment online - the office is in the Miami airport, terminal J, across from the Luftansa checkin counter. The interview only takes about 10 minutes and they make them in 20 minute slots. Best of all, if approved, it is activated immediately, so you will be able to use it upon your return to Miami. You can go directly there and have your interview and then check in for your flight. If you do it the other way and check in first, you will not have to shlep your luggage through the airport, but if there is a long line at the airline checkin, you could miss your appointment, so I would probably make an appointment for an hour or so before you want to check in for your flight. If you wind up with a lot of time on your hands afterwards, there is a pretty good restaurant in the aiport at the top of the Miami Airport Hotel.

Another alternative is to make an appointment on the day you fly back into the Miami airport, but then you have to wait on the regular line to get through passport control and may miss your appointment. The interview center is only open Monday through Friday, so if you are there on a weekend, you are out of luck.

Great information, what I have come to expect from you! Our next flight using Miami is a return from a transAtlantic to Barcelona, but that usually returns pretty late, If it's early enough, I might schedule the apppointment for an hour or so after arrival to cover delays. It's not like we're in a rush or have to be home at a specific time ;). The next one after that will be a flight out of Miami in September, 2013. Based on the report of Fort Lauderdale making appointments 3 months away, I assume if I sign up 3 or 4 months before I expect to be in Miami I'll be able to scedule the appointment pretty much when I want. I've been thinking about this for some time but never had the gumption to get it started.

Our passports expire next year and we are wondering if Global Entry will reappear on the new passport or will we have to reapply.

I am sure that you will have to be "recertified" as your new passport will have a new number and will not match in the computer with the old one.

You may (or may not) have to pay a new fee.

Great information, what I have come to expect from you! Our next flight using Miami is a return from a transAtlantic to Barcelona, but that usually returns pretty late, If it's early enough, I might schedule the apppointment for an hour or so after arrival to cover delays. It's not like we're in a rush or have to be home at a specific time ;). The next one after that will be a flight out of Miami in September, 2013. Based on the report of Fort Lauderdale making appointments 3 months away, I assume if I sign up 3 or 4 months before I expect to be in Miami I'll be able to scedule the appointment pretty much when I want. I've been thinking about this for some time but never had the gumption to get it started.

Ft. Lauderdale's interview site is a couple of miles from the airport and is only open Monday -Friday from 10am-2pm.

Don - you can also do it in Orlando. The office is located on the A side and is open Mon to Friday.

I am sure that you will have to be "recertified" as your new passport will have a new number and will not match in the computer with the old one.

You may (or may not) have to pay a new fee.

Not so you can enter you new passport data on line. No need to go to the office. Just did both of mine in April. No new fee.

Not so you can enter you new passport data on line. No need to go to the office. Just did both of mine in April. No new fee.

Thanks - it's good to know even though my GE will expire before my passport :mad:

Don - you can also do it in Orlando. The office is located on the A side and is open Mon to Friday.

Thanks -- saw that when I checked out the locations, hoping for West Palm Beach, thought that was a good chance when there is one at Sanford, FL, but no luck. Okeechobee (much like Port St. Lucie, where we used to live) is almost exactly equidistant from Fort Lauderdale, Orlando and Tampa, with only about 30 mile more to Miami, and with domestic service equidistant from West Palm Beach and Melborne. On the one hand it's an ideal spot to be in, on the other it's not super convenient to any of them.. I suppose we could make a special trip to any of them (I've drive twice in the past two weeks to Pompano Beach, 100 miles away, just to have my vehicle serviced), but I'd rather not :rolleyes:.

By the way, I've always been curious in which part of PSL you live -- I moved there in 1972 and lived there nearly 40 years before moving to Okeechobee about 3 years ago. We lived near Hidden River Estates off Floresta Dr. We were almost pioneers in 1972 -- if you can find a copy of Strelsa Schreiber's history of PSL, you'll find us mentioned and see a photo of me at age 32 :D

When we enrolled in Global Entry, we were told that if the kiosk is ever out of order, we could go to the head of the regular line. That hasn't happened to us but if it does, I suggest finding an agent first before just cutting the line.

We were also told that after we clear immigration at the kiosk, we can jump the line at customs after we get our luggage. Usually there is not much of a line there but there is often a sign that directs you to the front.

Hi LAexNY. We have sailed with you a few times. Remember chatting in Barristas so I think it was Marina last October - just returned from Riveria.

Thanks for the info. The porter did not jump any lines just got us to the right place!!

Archived