Catch 10am flight at FLL?

How often do you make an early flight? I know it is always a gamble....boat is late, customs takes a while, etc.

US Air just changed our lovely 11:30 flight to 10. The next flight is 1pm. That is a long time to kill in the airport with a 5 year old.

WWYD? And I know opinions will vary!

Which ship? Oasis/Allure has much early and more efficient disembarkation than the other ships.

Can you self-disembark and handle your luggage yourself? This makes a huge difference.

Which ship are you going to be on? The consensus seems to be that with Oasis or Allure, as long as you carry your own bags off the ship, you can make it. Other ships - not so much (well, you might but it's a huge risk).

We've done early flights like that several times. It is not for the faint of heart and there are no guarantees, especially if the ship is delayed returning to Ft Lauderdale.

You MUST get off as soon as possible and get to the airport early, especially if there are numerous ships returning to port that day. The airport check-in (at least with our experience with Southwest) becomes very busy very fast. You will want to beat the crowds at check-in and security.

What would happen if you missed your flight and (as is often times the case) all the other flights that day are full? Do you have obligations at home that can't wait an extra day? Do you have travel insurance? Lots to think about.

There are, literally, hundreds of threads on this. The consensus is you will make it with time to spare, or you might or might not make it, why have that stress at the end of a nice relaxing vacation. I vote for the latter. I have flown out of this airport several times would never book a flight before 11:30 am.

you can easily make it.

Only if the ship docks on time, if there is no delay with the port officials, if you get up early with your 5 year old, if you walk off as early as possible with your luggage and the 5 year old, if you get to the airport, check-in, and go through security and make it to your gate early enough to board the plane.

If it were me, I would ask for the latest disembarkation possible, have a leisurely breakfast and be one of the LAST to leave the ship. Go the airport without a care in the world, check in, go through the long security line, and be at your gate at around 11 a.m. Gives you some time to buy snacks, etc. before your plane begins to board.

Don't try it. Last cruise, customs held up everyone and we missed our flight. The next one was booked solid. Wound up staying overnight and my son missed school. We missed work. It was a nightmare because we spent 8 hours in the airport trying to get on a standby flight. It is not worth it. Take the later flight and take your time off of the ship. I will never attempt an early flight again after going thru that mess! :eek:

Good luck with your choice. Also remember that as Usair changed your flight you can request it be changed to another time at no charge as they changed your flight plan not you. Be persistent. I know that my times on Oasis and Allure 10am flight and doing walk off we would be fine and even the Liberty but it was the luck of the draw. you get a weekend especially in the winter when you have 7 or 8 ships that day and half the customs agents call in...yep..one for international and one for usa. amazing..then you are screwed. You have a little one so being ready to get off with all of your luggage at 615ish is probably ok.

OK, this is not a recommendation, just our experience which was based on the best non-stop that would prevent us from having to wait all day at the airport. Last May off Oasis at 7:30 - did not carry our luggage - made a 9:50 AM and was at the gate with 50 minutes to spare for the flight. Note it was Oasis and we were the only ship in port.

Interesting to read that the biggest RCCL ships disembark faster, had thought the smaller ones with less passengers would hold that honor.

i'm on IOS in January and booked 10:55 a.m. Ship scheduled to dock at 5:30 a.m.

RCCL suggests on their website that guests using ship transportation book earliest flight home at 11:30 a.m. I called and was told they factor in the time needed in getting a bus-ful of people rounded up with their luggage and that: if we do self-disembark as soon as ship is cleared, shouldn't have an issue.

I accept the caveat of 'unforseen circumstances' and have TI but honestly just wondering if there is a large % of ships (specifically RCCL) delayed coming into or clearing customs into FLL:confused:

Thanks everyone. It is Allure. We decided we didn't want to risk missing it since the next flight is already almost full so called tonight and picked the next flight.

We'll do the 1pm flight and not stress about when the boat docks. We'll stall getting off and hopefully only have a couple hours to kill at the airport. I see a lot of escalator "rides" in my future.

Archived