The ONE thing I would be willing to pay extra for..

SueG

Also to comment on a post on this thread......... I cruise on Carnival because I LIKE Carnival, not because it is the "bargain" ship, etc. I happen to PREFER Carnival Cruise Line...........

Me too! Not because it's the budget experience, but because I can get the same thing for less money that I can get on RCI if I pay more (and yes, I have sailed on RCI and liked it...it was just more expensive). And with my savings I can take more cruises. I can also take some of that money and, as this thread suggests, pay for a few things like dinner on the balcony or a reserved chair on the Serenity Deck.

I'd pay extra (say $10) if Carnival would provide in-cabin, comprehensive, useful information about the ports of call. There is nothing more frustrating than having to research the very same information that hundreds of passengers per cruise are also researching when you know very well that they could have one person do it and update it say annually. I'm thinking nearby tourist attractions, historic sites, shopping, beaches, walking tours, bus routes, etc.

I'd pay extra (say $10) if Carnival would provide in-cabin, comprehensive, useful information about the ports of call. There is nothing more frustrating than having to research the very same information that hundreds of passengers per cruise are also researching when you know very well that they could have one person do it and update it say annually. I'm thinking nearby tourist attractions, historic sites, shopping, beaches, walking tours, bus routes, etc.

That might discourage folks from purchasing the very expensive & profitable Carnival excursions. Not gonna happen - especially under the current management!

On our last cruise, we paid "extra" for a window suite on the Caribbean Princess. I found the extra room, the ginormous marble bath with jacuzzi tub, and suite perks to be worth every extra penny. :cool: I would like the mass market lines to offer an alcohol all inclusive, and would willingly pay an extra $50-75/day for the convenience.

Celebrity has beverage packages and even runs them on sale from time to time. The premium package includes all alcohol as well as specialty coffees, smoothies, fresh squeezed juice, bottled water, sodas etc.

I'd pay extra if the ship would stop in the deep water and let you have one dive from say that door the crew uses when you dock about three floors over the ocean and five minutes swimming in the middle of the ocean. Just something really cool to do once.

As for me, I'd pay an extra $5 per cruise on top of the F2F price just to be able to cut to the front of the line at the Mongolian stir-fry. :)

I would pay extra $$ to swim and be in the lukewarm hot tubs as late as I want - special bracelet-- special lifeguard for the drunks

No kiddin'. Even the perky recorded lady on CCL's toll-free number says at one point "..you can go hot tubbing whenever you want!" and I said to myself "Oh No You Can't!"

I was shocked to discover the pools and hot-tubs were closed at various times. I can see it for cleaning or replacing the salt-water and maybe closing the Lido hot-tubs at night to keep the kids out, but the Serenity hot-tubs? Really?

The only way this would be cool is if he was in character as Jack Sparrow the entire cruise... I wouldn't pay for it but would be interesting!

THAT would be a lot of fun. There was a guy playing Capt. Sparrow -- really well -- in costume at a sci-fi convention in Atlanta a few years ago. That's not too unusual there since people in costume are pretty common, and every year we'll see a couple of Jack Sparrows, but this guy was REALLY good.

Turns out that it actually WAS Johnny Depp, attending the convention incognito. :D

That might discourage folks from purchasing the very expensive & profitable Carnival excursions. Not gonna happen - especially under the current management!

No kidding. It is very clear that Carnival's business is to attempt to separate as much of your money from you as they can. When I go to a hotel, they are always happy to provide me with a map and, if I want, useful information about the surrounding area. When you're on a ship and you get to port, you're on your own to figure out the simplest things.

That's why I'm pretty cynical about certain aspects of cruise vacations. When I book my own flight and hotel on a regular vacation, I don't feel like I'm continuously part of some cruise division's profit center (e.g., bar & beverage, excursions). When I'm on a Carnival cruise, I never stop feeling that way. It's sort of like the difference between renting a car and taking a cab. When you're in the cab, the meter is always running.

Agreed I would probably pay extra to have a guarantees chair on Lido.

Hmmm... I see a fledgling business starting here.

Chair sitting! I could (legitimately) write-off the cruise as a business expense.

CHOGS-R-US!!

Archived