Snorkeling mask...ugh

mitsugirly

We purchased new snorkeling mask (kits) right before our last cruise this past March. They are from US Divers.

I also purchased the anti-fog bottle to go with it. I did it before our cruise and it didn't work for very long.

I use the mask all the time here at home in the pool, and I still get non-stop fog after about 3 minutes or so.

I've also read someone say to use toothpaste on the mask and I've tried that before with no success.

Anything else out there that has been proven to actually work??? It drives me nuts. :cool:

Gritty toothpaste (not gel) or dish soap works to clean the mask to get the residue off the lens that prevents anti fog stuff from working. You have to scrub for a while. You want the mask to start squeaking when you are scrubbing it or the film hasn't been rubbed off yet. Once it is clean, then anti fog stuff works. I actually just use baby shampoo for my anti fog.

Gritty toothpaste (not gel) or dish soap works to clean the mask to get the residue off the lens that prevents anti fog stuff from working. You have to scrub for a while. You want the mask to start squeaking when you are scrubbing it or the film hasn't been rubbed off yet. Once it is clean, then anti fog stuff works. I actually just use baby shampoo for my anti fog.

I did the toothpaste when we got the mask and then the anti-fog stuff. It didn't work. We purchased the mask, I think, back at the beginning of the year. After all the ocean swimming and swimming at least 5 times a week all this summer, IF by chance I didn't get all of the film off the mask from when it was new, would it not be off by now? Just wondering.

Not necessarily. It is on the inside of the mask that is important, so continually diving with it won't get the film off. Just rubbing some toothpaste on it is not enough. I rubbed some on mine and it still fogged. I even had some other people use toothpaste on my mask while I was in the water and give it back to me. It still fogged up really bad. Like I said you have to clean it GOOD, which for me was scrubbing until the mask started SQUEAKING. After I did that it has been good. You can also try using dish soap (scrubbing hard til it squeaks) or use the lighter trick.

I was actually using cotton balls/qtips instead of the toothbrush. I guess it probably wouldn't squeak with the toothbrush, but it should using the cotton balls or your fingers. I was always a little scared of the lighter thing to so I never did it. This method worked fine once it was really clean.

toothpaste and fingers works fine - don't bother with a brush

don't be stingy with the toothpaste - you need a good slurry going in the mask. Soft scrub works too. Be careful if your lens are plastic tho.....

I've been diving for almost 40 years and the lighter method is a new one on me ... I'd be very wary of it as it would be easy to melt something and trash the mask.

for the anti-fog .... well we just call all the products artificial spit. You just need a good spit - not a whimpy one .... you need some body. And then don't rinse to hard cuz with spit or the fake stuff, a vig'rous rinse just washes the product out.

I burned the film off with a lighter. Google it for instructions. Once I tried this method i realized just how great it is to have a mask that doesn't fog and I'm never going back to toothpaste!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

• 2 weeks later...

Mitsugirly, We bought our snorkeling equipment from a dive shop and she burned the film off before we left the store. I was horrified to see her doing so with our somewhat expensive purchase, but we have had no issues with fogging at all. Do you have a dive shop in your area that you can bring the mask to? I am sure if you explain to them your issues, they would burn it for you in hopes of having you as a new customer! Also, Thank you for your camera reviews and pics on different threads...we just purchased the D20 and are looking forward to snorkeling with it in Bermuda in 29 days!!

I've been diving for almost 40 years and the lighter method is a new one on me ... I'd be very wary of it as it would be easy to melt something and trash the mask.

That's what worries me too. I know I would do something to mess it up or better yet, catch it on fire. :eek:

I burned the film off with a lighter. Google it for instructions. Once I tried this method i realized just how great it is to have a mask that doesn't fog and I'm never going back to toothpaste!

I will look it up and see how it's done. However, I'm still not sure I would trust myself doing this.

Mitsugirly, We bought our snorkeling equipment from a dive shop and she burned the film off before we left the store. I was horrified to see her doing so with our somewhat expensive purchase, but we have had no issues with fogging at all. Do you have a dive shop in your area that you can bring the mask to? I am sure if you explain to them your issues, they would burn it for you in hopes of having you as a new customer! Also, Thank you for your camera reviews and pics on different threads...we just purchased the D20 and are looking forward to snorkeling with it in Bermuda in 29 days!!

We do have a dive shop here, however, I don't think they would probably do it (or at lease for free). I purchased my youngest daughters fins from there and since she had never used any before and her foot is so small (and the fins so big even though I purchased the smallest ones I could find) I ask if she could try them out and if they didn't work out could I return them. They said yes, however they mentioned that you couldn't return them if they had been tried out in the ocean with salt water or in a pool with chlorine. :confused: That left me to try them out how??? I guess in a lake? I don't know. I ended up keeping them.

You are welcome for the camera reviews.

I will give you a tip. If you want really nice vivid pictures (on land, not the water) if you set it on SCN and then set it on (I think) foliage or landscape (I'd have to double check during the day time) and the pictures will come out great! Also, don't forget to change it to underwater when you are in the water. :D Practice in a pool if you can. Although for some reason, I find that underwater pictures don't turn out half as nice as the pictures in the ocean for some reason. I don't know why??? :confused:

for the anti-fog .... well we just call all the products artificial spit. You just need a good spit - not a whimpy one .... you need some body. And then don't rinse to hard cuz with spit or the fake stuff, a vig'rous rinse just washes the product out.

Totally agree - one of the reasons I travel with my own mask and snorkel - apart from confidence in the equipment, I can ignore the "Yech" looks on some faces when I spit, rub and rinse.

I am having a heck of a time trying to find anything on this. I have youtubed with nothing found but the toothpaste idea.

When googling, everything I've read talks about using the toothpaste, spit, and the anti-fog solution.

The only thing I've seen that mentions burning it off is:

"A note on Fire: Floating around in the cyber-expert world is a technique of using fire to burn off the residue coating on a lens. DO NOT DO THIS! There is no need for this procedure as there are simply too many things that can go wrong and could easily ruin your mask."

That was from a scuba expert site.

Can you point me to what ever you had found? :confused:

Seriously, the toothpaste method works and has for years... Lather, Rinse, Repeat. At least 5 times. and then anti-fog or spit when you get in the water. Like a PP said you gotta make it squeaky clean to get the residue from manufacturing off.

I am having a heck of a time trying to find anything on this. I have youtubed with nothing found but the toothpaste idea.

When googling, everything I've read talks about using the toothpaste, spit, and the anti-fog solution.

The only thing I've seen that mentions burning it off is:

"A note on Fire: Floating around in the cyber-expert world is a technique of using fire to burn off the residue coating on a lens. DO NOT DO THIS! There is no need for this procedure as there are simply too many things that can go wrong and could easily ruin your mask."

That was from a scuba expert site.

Can you point me to what ever you had found? :confused:

I have seen it done twice by DMs, who knew what they were doing. It worked. But, I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself. Go with the toothpaste and scrub it hard. Or, take it to a dive shop and ask for help.

I tried the toothpaste again today. I mean I loaded it on, I scrubbed!!!! I even let it sit on there for about a hour and scrubbed again. Rinsed, then did the no-fog. It didn't work AGAIN. :(

I know everyone is saying to scrub until it's "squeaky clean"...well to me, when the tempered glass is wet, and you rub it, it always feels squeaky clean to me. :confused:

Getting frustrated. :cool:

I learned about it on Scubaboard...

Take a cheap bic lighter and use it to heat up the lenses from the inside. Stay away from the silicon as much as you can. In a few seconds, black soot will appear. Once most of the lens is black, wipe the soot away with a tissue. Then clean the mask with soap and water. All done.

If you just want a mid-snorkel fix, you could flood your mask a little bit, roll your head around to move the water around on the lens, and then purge- that will also help with fogging in the middle of your dive/snorkel. But I much prefer to use a lighter and then never have to worry about it.

Are you also using anti-fog/spit right before you start your snorkeling? That is pretty normal to do while diving and also helps with fogging.

And be sure you're not breathing out through your nose- that will fog you up for sure :)

Okay, first of all, read the instructions that came with your mask. A lot of newer masks have an anti-fog coating and doing the 'bic trick' will ruin that coating. So don't just blindly assume that you should do that. :rolleyes:

There are a lot of things that will make a mask fog up... if it's been sitting in the sun, it'll fog, guaranteed. If you're exhaling through your noise, it'll fog. If the water is significantly colder than your body it'll fog.

I'd suggest getting some mask cleaner, reading the instructions and doing what it says. Yes, sometimes it takes five or six scrubs to get the mask clean.

Then apply the defog according to the instructions.

When I'm diving I apply the defog and then let my mask sit in the rinse bucket until it's time to gear up. And even then I sometimes have to partially flood my mask after a while to clear it.

I also have never heard of the lighter treatment, however it sound feasible if you do not burn the silcone.

Lifetime diver (60+ years Naui) work with glass as a custom glass etcher (a Touch of Glass) and use Dawn dishwashing liquid (2 tbs to gal. of H2O) for pre-cleaning glass prior to applying stencils. Also good for cleaning windows at home!

I always clean my mask prior to a trip with the Dawn liquid!

Only once had a problem with fogging. Entered a thermal layer and my masked fogged. Allowed a small amount of water enter the mask and turned my head to clear the glass.

Plan your dive and dive you plan!

I have never used toothpaste and never scrubbed off a layer, etc. I bought all of the commercial products, etc. and always had fog issues, I hated it. Then one time in St. Kitts the snorkel guide gave us something that worked amazingly. Only put it on once and it worked for all 3 stops. When we got back I asked him what it was as I said I had to buy it. He said it is just watered down baby shampoo.

I bought the Johnson and Johnson baby shampoo and carry a little bottle in my snorkel bag. I don't water it down and just put a tiny dab in both sides, rub it around and then rinse it off really good and I never have fog issues now. I put it on before he snorkel stop. If you don't rinse it well enough you will either get it in your eyes or will be looking through a film.

I never use anything else now.

Sue

Do it several more times. I had to repeat it 5 times on my newest mask.

I believe since I've purchased my mask, I am now on time number 4 by now with no results. I'll have to just keep trying I guess.

If you just want a mid-snorkel fix, you could flood your mask a little bit, roll your head around to move the water around on the lens, and then purge- that will also help with fogging in the middle of your dive/snorkel. But I much prefer to use a lighter and then never have to worry about it.

Are you also using anti-fog/spit right before you start your snorkeling? That is pretty normal to do while diving and also helps with fogging.

And be sure you're not breathing out through your nose- that will fog you up for sure :)

When ever I snorkel and it fogs, I am constantly taking the mask off to rinse and unfog it. I would never be able to let water in and roll my head and purge. I wear contacts and I know what it's like to be out in the ocean swimming and lose a contact in your mask and try to see to get back to land. Not a pretty site for me. :(

Ok, maybe I'm not understanding WHEN you use the anti-fog then. You put it on RIGHT BEFORE you go in to the water? I've been putting on prior to leaving the house or leaving for the port. Maybe that's what I'm doing wrong then???

When you put this solution on, are you just rinsing it in the water right before you go in? Or do you wipe it clean? Or do you leave it on?

Maybe I'm doing something wrong there instead. :confused:

I have never used toothpaste and never scrubbed off a layer, etc. I bought all of the commercial products, etc. and always had fog issues, I hated it. Then one time in St. Kitts the snorkel guide gave us something that worked amazingly. Only put it on once and it worked for all 3 stops. When we got back I asked him what it was as I said I had to buy it. He said it is just watered down baby shampoo.

I bought the Johnson and Johnson baby shampoo and carry a little bottle in my snorkel bag. I don't water it down and just put a tiny dab in both sides, rub it around and then rinse it off really good and I never have fog issues now. I put it on before he snorkel stop. If you don't rinse it well enough you will either get it in your eyes or will be looking through a film.

I never use anything else now.

Sue

I may have to try this as well.

Archived