Never trust the scale! It LIES!

That's right. All of you trying to lose weight, I know you like to constantly like to jump on the scale to see how well you're doing on your fitness journey, BUT the scale is a poor measure of progress. If you're working out and eating right, you are not only losing fat, but your also GAINING MUSCLE. So how do you track your progress? Since muscle is more dense than fat (no muscle does not WEIGH MORE than fat - a pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat), this means it occupies less volume than an equal mass of fat. So that means even though your weight may not have dropped, you are getting leaner and your clothes will show it. Also, if you are working out and eating right, you are losing fat, but the body reserves the space in vacated fat cells with water so that they can be replenished with fat. The body can only hold onto the water for so long, and after experiencing a 3-4 week plateau, WHOOSH! you body will shed that water and you will lose 6 pounds overnight. So don't lose faith, and keep bringing it! The scale may lie to you, but your clothes won't, and neither will your friends won't when they see you. Make time for fitness and it will make time for you.

I only weight myself once a week or so, your weight can fluctuate so much in the course of a day especially women depending on the time of the month etc.. It's hard not to get caught up in the battle with the scale.

Sent from my LePanII using Tapatalk 2

Agreed. While I weigh myself everyday, I am neither crushed or elated when the results go one way or another (lately down and down, so I am pleased).

However, I have taken to measuring my neck, chest, waist and hips and tracking those measurements every week. I use this as my success gauge.

There is a neat little device that can be bought for about $10 that makes this a very simple task.

I agree and disagree. First, get a quality scale. 2nd, keep it in the same spot and pick a spot on a place that is hard and smooth. Third, stand on it the same way each time. Having your toes over one end or your heels over the other end can give small errors.

I only weight myself once a week or so, your weight can fluctuate so much in the course of a day especially women depending on the time of the month etc.. It's hard not to get caught up in the battle with the scale.

Sent from my LePanII using Tapatalk 2

But your way generally is accurate if you weigh yourself the same time everyday. If you weigh yourself once a week, you can get further off course before you realize it and it takes longer to recover.

Now, my above statement is based on normal routine. If you normally eat dinner at 5pm , but are invited out to a 9pm dinner, then things may change.

Bill, the point of this thread was to get the point across that the scale is a poor method of measuring progress when trying to get fit. Weight alone is now the only parameter to considered.

Correct, weight is NOT the only parameter. You can also base it on blood test results for things like blood sugar, triglycerides, LDL, HDL; blood pressure; measuring yourself/how clothing fits; and of course, the scale.

The numbers i really care about, are in the blood tests. All others are icing on the cake.

Correct, weight is NOT the only parameter. You can also base it on blood test results for things like blood sugar, triglycerides, LDL, HDL; blood pressure; measuring yourself/how clothing fits; and of course, the scale.

The numbers i really care about, are in the blood tests. All others are icing on the cake.

Exactly! Weighing yourself everyday once you are at your ideal weight is ok especially those that change their eating habits to lose weight then go right back to old bad habits. I agree this helps you nip it in the bud so to speak. When you are trying to lose and doing everything (food and exercise) right I believe that once a week is enough.

That's right. All of you trying to lose weight, I know you like to constantly like to jump on the scale to see how well you're doing on your fitness journey, BUT the scale is a poor measure of progress. If you're working out and eating right, you are not only losing fat, but your also GAINING MUSCLE. So how do you track your progress? Since muscle is more dense than fat (no muscle does not WEIGH MORE than fat - a pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat), this means it occupies less volume than an equal mass of fat. So that means even though your weight may not have dropped, you are getting leaner and your clothes will show it. Also, if you are working out and eating right, you are losing fat, but the body reserves the space in vacated fat cells with water so that they can be replenished with fat. The body can only hold onto the water for so long, and after experiencing a 3-4 week plateau, WHOOSH! you body will shed that water and you will lose 6 pounds overnight. So don't lose faith, and keep bringing it! The scale may lie to you, but your clothes won't, and neither will your friends won't when t

hey see you. Make time for fitness and it will make time for you.

I don't agree and I am in very good shape.

Yes other items matter not just weight.

However, I do believe in weighing ones self each and every day at around the same time of day. And yes, I recommend working out 5 or more days a week and also eating properly.

Keith

I believe when you weigh yourself it should be around the same time of day each time you do it but if you are working out (I do weight training 3 times a week and about 10 hours of Cardio a week including 3 hour long Zumba classes) and you are eating properly that how often you weigh is personal choice. If it floats your boat to weigh everyday go for it. I like seeing the weekly difference.

What I have always said is that the only thing that will tell me the truth about my weight is my clothes.

Even the best scales get out of whack sometimes, friends and family may just tell you what they think you want to hear, and if you didn't use a tape measure you'll have no idea if you lost any inches.

What I have always said is that the only thing that will tell me the truth about my weight is my clothes.

Even the best scales get out of whack sometimes, friends and family may just tell you what they think you want to hear, and if you didn't use a tape measure you'll have no idea if you lost any inches.

Yes, but if you gain weight and get new clothes then you lose site of where you should be.

I have maintained my weight for several years. I do this by weighing myself daily and I do not let my weight go up by more than 3 pounds and my real goal is to stay where I am.

Keith

However, I do believe in weighing ones self each and every day at around the same time of day. And yes, I recommend working out 5 or more days a week and also eating properly.

Keith

Keith - were you on the Equinox last October in the Med? If so, I think I know you lol. ;-)

~Jennifer

Keith

Keith here is why I say the scale is a poor judge of fitness. Disagree all you want, but the facts speak for themselves

same-weight-different-body-.jpg

weight%20doesnt%20matter%201000.jpg

Yes, but if you gain weight and get new clothes then you lose site of where you should be.

I have maintained my weight for several years. I do this by weighing myself daily and I do not let my weight go up by more than 3 pounds and my real goal is to stay where I am.

Keith

It makes no difference if they are old or new clothes. If the clothes you wear become looser, then you are losing weight and/or inches. If the clothes you wear become tighter than you are gaining weight and/or inches.

It makes no difference if they are old or new clothes. If the clothes you wear become looser, then you are losing weight and/or inches. If the clothes you wear become tighter than you are gaining weight and/or inches.

It does matter,but let's leave that for another day.

Keith

That's right. All of you trying to lose weight, I know you like to constantly like to jump on the scale to see how well you're doing on your fitness journey, BUT the scale is a poor measure of progress. If you're working out and eating right, you are not only losing fat, but your also GAINING MUSCLE. So how do you track your progress? Since muscle is more dense than fat (no muscle does not WEIGH MORE than fat - a pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat), this means it occupies less volume than an equal mass of fat. So that means even though your weight may not have dropped, you are getting leaner and your clothes will show it. Also, if you are working out and eating right, you are losing fat, but the body reserves the space in vacated fat cells with water so that they can be replenished with fat. The body can only hold onto the water for so long, and after experiencing a 3-4 week plateau, WHOOSH! you body will shed that water and you will lose 6 pounds overnight. So don't lose faith, and keep bringing it! The scale may lie to you, but your clothes won't, and neither will your friends won't when they see you. Make time for fitness and it will make time for you.

This has definitely been my experience. And, it is very frustrating. I lose4 to 5 pounds seemingly overnight, then plateau for several weeks. My weight

does fluctuate 2 to 3 pounds for 1 to 2 months, then another weight loss. i also am finding recently that some of my clothes are fitting looser, but no real

weight loss. So, maybe I am about to lose a few more pounds.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived