Queen Victoria

_kerry_

Looking to book a med cruise for next summer on QV. Any suggestions on best room to book? Port or starboard? Have only sailed on QM2. We generally book A2 midship balcony on 11th deck. Any suggestions?

thanks for any info

Looking to book a med cruise for next summer on QV. Any suggestions on best room to book? Port or starboard? Have only sailed on QM2. We generally book A2 midship balcony on 11th deck. Any suggestions?

thanks for any info

Depending on the Ports you going to, I would tend to not have Port as many of the ports are very large commercial working ports with a lot of containers, cranes etc (unlike say a Caribbean Cruise where there is nothing much more than a dock) and so you tend to have better view in port if you not on port side......but we been on both sides and not sure we really saw either as being better or worse..

G

Depending on the Ports you going to, I would tend to not have Port as many of the ports are very large commercial working ports with a lot of containers, cranes etc (unlike say a Caribbean Cruise where there is nothing much more than a dock) and so you tend to have better view in port if you not on port side......but we been on both sides and not sure we really saw either as being better or worse..

G

:confused::confused: The port side of a ship has NOTHING to do with berthing arrangements in a Port!! All ships have a port side and a starboard side - which do not in any way refer to the side of a ship that berths alongside a port :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Barry

G

Eh?

Not sure any of that makes sense. The view depends upon which direction the ship is berthed!

If you prefer evening sun, partic on a balcony, you need to see if you are predominantly travelling north or south & make your choice. E/W is trickier depending upon hemisphere.

I know that port does not mean its always port side. Port is left and starbord is right side. It must depend on how the ship is docked and where it is docked. We are looking into booking QV med. delights for next July. Just wondering if anyone has sailed this itinerary & which side they preferred.

Does QV dock or tender in those ports?

Thanks again :)

:confused::confused: The port side of a ship has NOTHING to do with berthing arrangements in a Port!! All ships have a port side and a starboard side - which do not in any way refer to the side of a ship that berths alongside a port :rolleyes::rolleyes:Barry

Well explained Barry, thank you. I'm sure those who have been on more than one or two cruises have experienced boarded ships from port… or starboard sides.

In Southampton, at the Ocean Terminal, one Cunard Captain told us that he preferred manoeuvring QM2 "stern first" into an empty dock in the early morning when Southampton Water was quiet (meaning passengers boarding from starboard). Rather than the reverse-manoeuvre out of the dock, “stern first”, in the evening, when the harbour is busier (in which case passengers would board from the port side).

I tend to check the webcam, before leaving home on the morning of departure, so I can see which way the ship is facing, that way I can anticipate the view I’m likely to get from the balcony! Thanks again.

We are booked on Mediterranean Delights next year. We are on the port side of the ship. I think we will have sun in the morning on the way to the med, no sun to speak of until we start back from Italy, sun all day until we leave the Med and finally, afternoon sun until we get home. This way we can use the balcony and, hopefully, get used to the sun gradually and not burn on the second half of the cruise.

thanks for any info

Hi, I would not go above deck 7, you can get noise from the deck above. Deck 6 or 7 midships is your best bet. Phil

Archived