Oceania's Handicap-Friendliness vs Other Cruise Lines

Bashful3

I had some interchanges with a friend on the old yahoo board a few years ago who hadn't traveled at all in the U.S. Her husband wanted to see everything he could in Europe before doing anything here. (We'd been discussing trips in the national park system.)

I responded that's fine, but if you want to really see the national parks you have to be able to hike. If you wait too long, you'll miss some of the best sights right here at home.

So it works both ways!

Mura

Alas, another example of how youth is wasted on the young.

When I was younger and fitter I had neither the time nor the money to do all the things I am doing now. Oh I travelled -- with a backpack, on the trains, in budget pensions -- it was fun but .

Now that I have the time and the money -- you know the rest . . .

Yes, the crew is extremely helpful when passengers need 'extra' assistance. They could

not be more gracious.

What an interesting observation about O canceling shore excursions due to lack of

participation! Maybe if they did a better job of contracting for varied tours for different

interests they would make more money. There appears to be a weakness in the management oversight/planning here. Yes, they are overpriced, but that was not the focus of my complaint. If I felt Oceania cared about planning interesting excursions

for the physically challenged as well as the fit and hearty I would not mind paying more

for the convenience.

As in Egypt, where my husband and I do plan to take O's offerings, due to emphasis on

safety concerns.

But, if they aren't willing to shift their position on tours that are fascinating, but less

strenuous, I would be forced to book with other more accomodating cruise lines in the future.

[quote name=

What an interesting observation about O canceling shore excursions due to lack of

participation! .[/quote]

That's not just O. It happens on every cruise line. There is a "number" they need to make the tour profitable. Another reason to book your own tours.

I have a different point of view on safety in Egypt and Israel. I am going to Egypt and Israel on O next year and I am shying away from large groups. I think a bus full of cruisers (largely Americans) is a bigger "target" than a group of 4 with a private guide.

Whatever you do, enjoy your travels and make the most of every minute.

<snip> But, here's my question to others who are mobililty challenged: have you experienced a more pro-active approach on the part of other cruise lines? <snip>

This is Celebrity's Accessible info - not sure if this is what you are looking for:)

http://www.celebritycruises.com/plancruise/shoreExcursions/home.do?pagename=shore_and_land_excursions

Those photos say it all -- it is why my husband and I are traveling like maniacs now (3 major trips a year) -- while we still can negotiate those ridiculous steps and hills. I made it to the top of Mt. St. Michel -- he quit after 3/4 of the way up -- he and a friend had had enough. The clock is ticking . . . .

Unfortunately, in some locations it may be impossible to arrange a tour that truly accommodates the mobility challenged passenger, other than a drive by photo shoot.

You must have read my mind. My husband took an very early retirement at the age of 53 and we did everything we wanted: several cross-country driving trips, lots of European vacations -- to every part of Europe. We walked and climbed and ate and drank and walked far and fast. I have lots of wonderful memories. I'm so glad we did it when we did because it would not have been at all possible for either of us now.

So, do what you want while you're able. And I mean it!

Sorry to get off topic!

You may want to ask what other cruise lines do on the Disabled forum

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

Oceania does have some private tours that they can tailor to your needs for a fee

I would talk to Destination Services when you board & tell them your circumstances & the tours you are on so they can "reserve" seats at the front of the bus or suggest other arrangements

Yes, that is so helpful. I have been on Celebrity, and it was great. What attracted us to

Oceania were the smaller ships, which we do prefer. However, going forward, the mobility

issues will become more important to me. If Oceania can't be more accomodating in

its scheduling, I'll book with Celebrity instead. (Or other cruise lines with a more enlightened approach, once I find them)

Yes, that is so helpful. I have been on Celebrity, and it was great. What attracted us to

Oceania were the smaller ships, which we do prefer. However, going forward, the mobility

issues will become more important to me. If Oceania can't be more accomodating in

its scheduling, I'll book with Celebrity instead. (Or other cruise lines with a more enlightened approach, once I find them)

http://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/Life-Onboard/Special-Needs/Accessibility-Ashore

Even the two new ships?? I can understand the inherited older R ships not being accessible, but it's hard to believe O would build inaccessible ships.

The "older R ships" are newer than other ships on other lines sailing that have better accessibility.

If the "R" ships weren't built for accessibility, they can be retrofitted.

Archived