Is Anchor another word for Tender??

cellyml12

I was soooo excited to get my first Princess Patter on the BVE. Read the whole thing. I notice that for Juneau it says ANCHOR. Does that mean you have to be tendered in?? Thanks!

yes it does... but normally the ship docks unless it is very busy

enjoy your voyage

Hmm. I wonder if this is common for all trips out of SF, or if it's just this particular cruise. Thanks for the responses!!

It all depends on the itinerary. When we sailed on the Sea Princess from San Francisco a couple of years ago, we docked in Juneau, but tendered in Ketchikan. Since it's a 10-day cruise, the ship isn't in the same port on the same days like it would on a 7-day cruise.

It all depends on the itinerary. When we sailed on the Sea Princess from San Francisco a couple of years ago, we docked in Juneau, but tendered in Ketchikan. Since it's a 10-day cruise, the ship isn't in the same port on the same days like it would on a 7-day cruise.
And when we sailed on the Sea Princess out of SF last August, we tendered in Juneau and docked in Ketchikan.

Hmm. I wonder if this is common for all trips out of SF, or if it's just this particular cruise. Thanks for the responses!!

Princess has seven ships in Alaska. All but the Sea Princess are seven-day cruises and so are in the same ports the same day of the week every sailing. The Sea Princess is on a 10 day schedule so the actual port sequence varies almost every sailing. Juneau has the highest capacity (six berths) of all the ports so that call gets scheduled around the days the other ports can accomodate the extra ship. But sometimes Princess has no choice but to make the Sea Princess the seventh ship in Juneau, requiring tendering ashore.

I was soooo excited to get my first Princess Patter on the BVE. Read the whole thing. I notice that for Juneau it says ANCHOR. Does that mean you have to be tendered in?? Thanks!
If the ship is at anchor, that means that passengers will be tendered ashore. That can change even if it's on the itinerary but plan on tendering.

What's a lot more important to know than my wordy reply #8 above is that the patter you saw on your BVE is for that sailing only! Juneau and Ketchikan are both possible tender ports depending on the sequence of your particular sailing and how many other ships are in port that day. Difficult to predict in advance; you can visit some of the websites telling you how many ships are in port each day--Juneau has six berths, Ketchikan two. More ships than that = someone has to tender.

What's a lot more important to know than my wordy reply #8 above is that the patter you saw on your BVE is for that sailing only! Juneau and Ketchikan are both possible tender ports depending on the sequence of your particular sailing and how many other ships are in port that day. Difficult to predict in advance; you can visit some of the websites telling you how many ships are in port each day--Juneau has six berths, Ketchikan two. More ships than that = someone has to tender.
Just a minor point. Ketchikan has four docks.

Thanks for everyone's reply! I'm going to make reservations for The Grand today for next May. I guess I better prepare for the possibility of a tender ride. But hey, it just adds to the adventure, I guess. :)

We were on the Golden last Septermber and we were always at the pier. Again as someone said it will depend on the number of ships in port. This can change from year to year since the itineraries of the different Cruise Lines change.

Ok, so I looked at a list for my cruise next year, that shows which ships will be in port on a given day. The highest number of ships at any of the ports is Juneau with four. So do you think that's because my cruise is so early in the season?? Also what are the chances of other ships being added to these ports & the Grand getting bumped to an anchor? I just looked at these lists several times because I find it hard to believe I'm going to be in Ketchikan with only one other ship (NCL Pearl) in port.

Ok, so I looked at a list for my cruise next year, that shows which ships will be in port on a given day. The highest number of ships at any of the ports is Juneau with four. So do you think that's because my cruise is so early in the season?? Also what are the chances of other ships being added to these ports & the Grand getting bumped to an anchor? I just looked at these lists several times because I find it hard to believe I'm going to be in Ketchikan with only one other ship (NCL Pearl) in port.

There are 6 berths at Juneau, so I would think that the Grand would be booked into one of them. :D

There are 6 berths at Juneau, so I would think that the Grand would be booked into one of them. :D
I believe that there are only 5 docks that can handle large cruise ships. Princess uses the South Franklin Street dock (FKL) for their first ship because they have access to shore power. With the second ship it is the further A.J. dock (AJD) which sort of requires the use of a shuttle bus. If there is a third Princess ship in port it will anchor at Marine Park (AMP). Because the Sea and next year the Golden is on a ten day schedule is had the lowest priority so it depends how many Princess ships are in port as to where you will dock/anchor. The are exceptions and sometimes the Sea had to use AMP even if only one other Princess ship was in port.

Thanks for everyone's reply! I'm going to make reservations for The Grand today for next May. I guess I better prepare for the possibility of a tender ride. But hey, it just adds to the adventure, I guess. :)

In my experience, there's usually more "tedium" than "adventure" involved.

I believe that there are only 5 docks that can handle large cruise ships. Princess uses the South Franklin Street dock (FKL) for their first ship because they have access to shore power. With the second ship it is the further A.J. dock (AJD) which sort of requires the use of a shuttle bus. If there is a third Princess ship in port it will anchor at Marine Park (AMP). Because the Sea and next year the Golden is on a ten day schedule is had the lowest priority so it depends how many Princess ships are in port as to where you will dock/anchor. The are exceptions and sometimes the Sea had to use AMP even if only one other Princess ship was in port.

Out of all four ports we only have one other Princess ship there the same day & that is in Victoria, but may be the evening thing & we're there in the morning.

Archived