When to change tips os S&S?

dvdkndy

I am a firm believer of tipping those who help you directly. I would rather give my server and my room steward cash for everyday things like cleaning the room and serving dinner. I do not feel obligated to tip others that I never see and would rather tip my face to face people more than what they get through my auto tips. I know some of you may do it differently and I respect that. However, this is my choice and I ask you to respect it as well. Having said that, when is the best time to get the auto tips removed from your account? Embarkation day or wait until the last night?

Unless you actually intend to just be cheap and cheat the staff out of their tips, you should remove them the first day that they are posted. The staff (I've been told) are notified when this occurs but that won't be a problem if you are tipping "those who help you directly". If they are not helping you the staff won't ever see you to think badly of you and if they are helping you, you will be tipping them...RIGHT???? NOT!!! "those who help you directly" are not always seen by you yet they depend on those tips for survival!

The only time I have EVER decreased tips was when service in EVERY department on one NCL cruise I went on was SO bad that I felt none of them deserved a tip. (and even then I left 50% on because I know how little money they make). For the same reason, I do the same here at home if I get really poor service.

AHhahahahhaha, so now you believe the brand ambassador? This is the funniest thing I have seen in a long time on CC, you are quoting John Heald to bolster an argument. You, H8, his biggest fan now?

Funny

If I was going to cheap out and remove tips.. I sure wouldn't admit it in public.

I dont get why people are willing to stand up and say.. IM CHEAP.

The world sure has changed.

Hasn't changed that much. Admitting you stiff people on an anonymous public board isn't so "brave".

If they state this at a Roll Call, then I'd take notice.

you really think so? would you take that job if the person hiring you told you your tips went to kitchen staff? he would see my back pretty quickly.
This is the way it works in many restaurants. Nothing fishy unless management gets a cut.

Perfectly acceptable and staff are not always hired as waiters right off. They work up to this position as busboys or assistant waiters.

They get a share of the tips before they are waiters and then share the tips as waiters. The % changes.

I have no clue what the other posts state as I haven't read through this thread.

I am a firm believer in auto tips.

This is what we were told by cruise directors on both Princess and Carnival. This was a question I specifically asked at the Most Travelled Luncheon.

If you tip personally, the recipient has to turn the money over to the supervisor. They cannot keep the money. If the passenger giving the cash tip has left their auto tips intact, the recipient will be given the money. If the auto tips were removed, the money is "placed in a fund for distribution with the auto tips." Both CDs said most employees will not keep the cash tips since they will be terminated if discovered.

So, please leave your auto tips intact. These people work very hard to ensure a great experience for us.

If you can afford the cruise, you can afford the tips.

Shirley

Would this mean if we leave the auto tips, but tip more for outstanding service they have to had that over also? That stinks if it is so...

you really think so? would you take that job if the person hiring you told you your tips went to kitchen staff? he would see my back pretty quickly.

I work in a restaurant and the owner does take 18% of our credit card tips to pay the busser and the expo person. We do get to keep 100% of our cash tips. I have worked in other places where we did get to keep all the tips.

I work in a restaurant and the owner does take 18% of our credit card tips to pay the busser and the expo person. We do get to keep 100% of our cash tips. I have worked in other places where we did get to keep all the tips.

i've seen you post that before. busser is doing your cleanup.

what's an expo person?

It was funny. Still is.

No worries. I'd be embarrassed too.

Snort !

I hope mike wasn't thinking of me when he said "cheap" as I never posted what I tip.

but I'll tell you ... I 've never took off the auto tips, I tip $1 for every drink, $2 for every room service, I give the our man-maids $20 up front and $20 last day and our servers get $20,$10,$10 headwaiter, assit.,assit.

I could give two craps what everyone else does... I just get on the tipping threads cause I like to trade barbs with people who like to tell others what they need to do.

i've seen you post that before. busser is doing your cleanup.

what's an expo person?

Probably a expeditor. I worked in a nice steak restaurant myself and I had to tip the bartender a percentage, like it might have been 10% of what I made each night, and I then had to tip my bus help a percentage.

If people tipped less.. it didnt matter, I still had to tip those two people the required percentage at the end of the night. I cant remember the exact break down, but I got to keep 80% of the amount I was tipped if everyone tipped 15% a meal .. but if you got a few cheapos.. then you could go home with only 50% of what was tipped, a bad night. Luckily the good tippers about averaged out the bad tippers (and there are some out there believe me).

I am a firm believer of tipping those who help you directly. I would rather give my server and my room steward cash for everyday things like cleaning the room and serving dinner. I do not feel obligated to tip others that I never see and would rather tip my face to face people more than what they get through my auto tips. I know some of you may do it differently and I respect that. However, this is my choice and I ask you to respect it as well. Having said that, when is the best time to get the auto tips removed from your account? Embarkation day or wait until the last night?[/quote]

Oh, the last night for sure...that way they won't know ahead of time

and scrub the toilet with your tooth brush.

and no boogers in your food either;)

In all seriousness..do what you feel comfortable with. Don't let

anyone try and make you feel uncomfortable with tipping in cash

prepaying or just not tipping at all.

It matters not to me.

Oh, and don't believe everyone when they say they tip so big, I am sure it isn't the only lie they tell

Thank you Firefly, I abbreviated the word because I do not have the spell checker on and I was too tired to look up expeditor :). I do not mind tipping out because you do give better service if you have someone help do the cleanup. Especially if they have messy toddlers.

I wait on one customer every week and this gentleman always leaves a 100% tip. The good tippers are sure appreciated :).

Snort !

I hope mike wasn't thinking of me when he said "cheap" as I never posted what I tip.

but I'll tell you ... I 've never took off the auto tips, I tip $1 for every drink, $2 for every room service, I give the our man-maids $20 up front and $20 last day and our servers get $20,$10,$10 headwaiter, assit.,assit.

I could give two craps what everyone else does... I just get on the tipping threads cause I like to trade barbs with people who like to tell others what they need to do.

LOL now back peddle alittle and say how you never remove tips

But you dont give two craps what everyone else does.You just like to get on tipping threads to show your true colors.Hide your toothbrush :)

Thank you Firefly, I abbreviated the word because I do not have the spell checker on and I was too tired to look up expeditor :). I do not mind tipping out because you do give better service if you have someone help do the cleanup. Especially if they have messy toddlers.

I wait on one customer every week and this gentleman always leaves a 100% tip. The good tippers are sure appreciated :).

Gotta love the 100% tippers.Its a funny thing you know what he likes and he knows what you like.Pretty simple concept

I am a firm believer of tipping those who help you directly. I would rather give my server and my room steward cash for everyday things like cleaning the room and serving dinner. I do not feel obligated to tip others that I never see and would rather tip my face to face people more than what they get through my auto tips. I know some of you may do it differently and I respect that. However, this is my choice and I ask you to respect it as well. Having said that, when is the best time to get the auto tips removed from your account? Embarkation day or wait until the last night?[/quote]

Oh, the last night for sure...that way they won't know ahead of time

and scrub the toilet with your tooth brush.

and no boogers in your food either;)

In all seriousness..do what you feel comfortable with. Don't let

anyone try and make you feel uncomfortable with tipping in cash

prepaying or just not tipping at all.

It matters not to me.

Oh, and don't believe everyone when they say they tip so big, I am sure it isn't the only lie they tell

Funny thing is you dont have to tip so big ,just leave the tips on your sign and sail

If you worked for tips it would matter to you

LOL now back peddle alittle and say how you never remove tips

But you dont give two craps what everyone else does.You just like to get on tipping threads to show your true colors.Hide your toothbrush :)

Not a back peddle, never offered advice to the OP and never said I didn't tip. Quote me if your not lying :)p

and yes I am showing my true colors ;)

Might I suggest that you look up the word opinion. Since an opinion is not fact it is not possible to be wrong.

Opinion | Define Opinion at Dictionary.com symres:sb_safeannotation.png

dictionary.reference.com/browse/opinionCached - Similar

You +1'd this publicly. Undo

a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty

Satisfied?

Yup! I agree.

Both of you have made it pretty obvious that you've never worked in the restaurant industry...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Silver

Honestly, i think that the people you DON'T see shouting on the mountain that they helped you on your cruise deserve the tip more

Cruises are cheap, and one way they keep them that way is by having tipping of the employees. really, how much are tips every day? less than 20.00 right?

If you can't afford to tip appropriately, don't cruise until you can. :rolleyes:

However, to answer your question, if you must cut tips, if you book through a TA, you can most likely talk to them about the tipping issue. if not, talk to carnival. I've never waited very long on the phone for carnival, but then i usually don't call them, as i have booked my cruises with a TA both times.

Oh, and don't believe everyone when they say they tip so big, I am sure it isn't the only lie they tell[/color][/size]

well, I for one tip my steward an extra $100 ad always give room service a $20 in the mornings. I am also a size two and bear a striking resemblance to J Lo. :D

I suggest you try to impress someone else it's not working here:rolleyes:

Opinion | Define Opinion at Dictionary.com symres:sb_safeannotation.png

dictionary.reference.com/browse/opinionCached - Similar

You +1'd this publicly. Undo

a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty

Satisfied?

I dont know what it says about me, but threads where people have to quote defenitions of words in their bickering really scratch me where I itch.

Carry on gentlemen (or ladies)

Most of the servers in restaurants share their tips with the bus boys and kitchen staff.

When I was doing this a million years ago that was absolutely true for the busboys and bartenders, though I never had to give anything to the kitchen. It was standard procedure in restaurants, at least in NYC, and you knew that going in. The principle was that the bus people were doing work that never got rewarded directly by the customers, and the bar people were making the drinks you brought to the table, and would have been tipped directly by the customers if they had been sitting at the bar. It's the same thing on a ship: you are being served by many people you never see, and part of their compensation is tips. The simplest and fairest way to reward all these invisible people is to leave the auto-tip (or whatever it's called) on.

I feel it is just easier to leave the tips in place rather than trying to find everyone you want to tip at the end of the cruise. I have prepaid my Carnival tips and will tip extra for really good service. On our first NCL cruise I tipped the cabin attendant an extra $100 because he was fantastic. Second cruise I didn't because we had to ask for towels 3 different times. Both cruises I tipped extra at any specialty restaurants we ate in (20% of the bill) but didn't in the MDR's. I've heard people mention assistants to the cabin attendants. Is this typical of all Carnival ships? I didn't see that on NCL.

Archived