Luggage tags: What difference does it make?

tashiba

Hi all!

I've cruised with RCI before and I'm seeing all these posts about them no longer offering luggage tags. I don't understand, what difference does it make? (Legitimate question, I tried figuring it out from the posts but can't seem to figure it out)

I usually have my own luggage tags on my bags because I'm flying in to the port city anyway and don't they tag your bags when you check in before you board?

Thanks!

It's not the baggage tags with your name and address on them like you would have on a bag. It is the tags the show tour cabin number and the section of the ship it is located. My bother is the porters having to get what is most likely more than 10,000 bags to the correct cabins with a bunch of different handwritten tags as opposed to a set tag with printed information.

My bother is the porters having to get what is most likely more than 10,000 bags to the correct cabins with a bunch of different handwritten tags as opposed to a set tag with printed information.

Actually it's the opposite. The self print luggage tags are pre printed with your name and cabin number. So really, the porters are going to be much better off.

Tashiba, I'm with you, I don't get the angst either. They are on your bags for all of four hours and then they are redundant.

Is it bad that I don't even remember doing this on our first cruise? We just turned up and they looked after us :D

I remember us having to write our cabin numbers and names on slips attached to the bags. Easy peasy :)

Thanks everyone for your help!

I also just found this:

Royal Dumps Pre-Printed Baggage Tags

Warm up your printers -- 'cause unless you're a Royal Caribbean Crown & Anchor Pinnacle member or forked over the dough for at least a Grand Suite, you're going to have to start printing out your own bag tags. Effective Wednesday, August 8, Royal has eliminated the ability for passengers to order pre-printed baggage tags. Instead, the tags are now included as a page within the eDoc digital ticket booklet. Slightly more durable tags are still available at port (unless you print at home in thick stock). There was a strangely diverting 400-plus discussion on the Cruise Critic message boards. See what the fuss was about.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=4942

There you go, still available in port :D (emphasis mine)

Personally, I don't see the big deal with the mailed paper luggage tags either. Get them at the port or print them out before hand and laminate them yourselves with clear mailing tape.

I mean when yoU fly and check your bag they give you the paper luggage tag at that point and your bag may be leaving you for a distance of thousands of miles and many hours. When you drop your bag at the port it is a matter of only a short trip and a short time before you see your suitcase again.

Luggage tag arrival day was always pretty darn exciting!

Hooking up a USB cable and watching our printer spit them out? Not so much.

Other than that, no difference. It was just an excitement issue for us. We'd crack a bottle of wine, maybe dance around the living room a little, etc. It was all part of the experience...it was fun!

Here's an idea, charge us a couple of bucks for the tags and let us continue the tradition. We'd happily pay for that.

Really not a big deal...

I've sailed quite a bit with RCCL and have recently done a few cruises with Princess and one with Carnival who now both have you print your own luggage tags. I wasn't too sure about it, but now that I've done it a few times, I'm fine with it.

I suspect that a lot of the people who are concerned about it at this point will decide after doing it once or twice that it really isn't a problem.

Luggage tag arrival day was always pretty darn exciting!

Hooking up a USB cable and watching our printer spit them out? Not so much.

Other than that, no difference. It was just an excitement issue for us. We'd crack a bottle of wine, maybe dance around the living room a little, etc. It was all part of the experience...it was fun!

Here's an idea, charge us a couple of bucks for the tags and let us continue the tradition. We'd happily pay for that.

OK I'm loving that! Dance on!!!

Right on brother! :D

What amazes me are all the people who continue to belittle things that may be completely unimportant to them but bring a little joy and ease of the life to others. When the cruise lines stopped serving escargot I didn't pile on to every thread and say 'NO BIGGIE, I can do without them. I can buy them at home'. I bet if the cruise lines starting cutting back on some of their little Diamond and Diamond Plus benefits there would be an uproar heard from here to Neptune. Let's do away with the lapel pins. It's no biggie. They could save that money and put it into the cruise line food budget. In place of the pins they could send you a pdf file of a crown and anchor you could wear on your head or a print art version of a pin that you can laminate and stick on your chest. That would save a freaking heaping mountain of cash and maybe I could get my luggage tags back! ;)

I went onto RCI website when I did online checkin and there was a button there to click if you wanted to request the luggage labels. I don't mind not getting the big booklet/tickets through because that was just more to carry but I personally prefer to stick the RCI labels on just before we board. If it gets to the point where they do away with them completely or start charging then will look at other alternatives for bags

Sorry, I'm not buying it. People around here still decry the existence of for-a-fee dining options. If RCI still offered them, but charged for them, the nitwit brigade around here would have an absolute nutty!

Sorry, I'm not buying it. People around here still decry the existence of for-a-fee dining options. If RCI still offered them, but charged for them, the nitwit brigade around here would have an absolute nutty!

They can decry the existence of pay alternative dining options all they want but it's just that, an option. There are still plenty of other free options where one can eat. Just like either printing or paying for luggage tags could be an option. And since RCI seems to be looking for new sources of revenue charging for luggage stickers could help. I've NEVER paid to eat at a dining venue on a cruise ship, that is until now. For my cruise on the Allure of the Seas in December I've already booked $150 in extra dining options. I would gladly pay extra for luggage tags for my upcoming cruise.

I don't have an issue with printing my own tags and laminating them with clear packing tape but how are you supposed to attach them to your bags without them being self-sticking like the ones the cruise line used to send?

There is no need to laminate them. Once they have been folded several times they are quite strong. And then all they need is sticky tape to hold them.

There is no need to laminate them. Once they have been folded several times they are quite strong. And then all they need is sticky tape to hold them.

It says on the tag to staple it. It shows you where to staple it.

It probably saves the cruise line thousands over the old mailed tags.

I’m all for the new ones. The savings will enable the cruise line to do something nice for us.

:)

I’m all for the new ones. The savings will enable the cruise line to do something nice for us.

And once stapled, if you are concerned the bags won't make it, cover the folded tag with shipping tape to protect the number. We have done this and it works fine.

Right on brother! :D

What amazes me are all the people who continue to belittle things that may be completely unimportant to them but bring a little joy and ease of the life to others.

[sarcasm]

Gee, I just don't understand you and feel the need to reply indicating that I think you are getting way to upset about this [/sarcasm]

We didn't staple because we were travelling Europe for 3 weeks before the cruise and for some reason a stapler just didn't get anywhere near the packing list.

Archived