Le Champagne / Silver Whisper

rkaratsu

Will be boarding the Whisper later this month and had a couple of questions about Le Champagne (since the last time we were on Silversea, Le Champagne had the "themed" menus with optional ($200) wine pairings.)

First of all, has anyone tried this?:

http://blog.silversea.com/post/2012/07/12/Worlds-Priciest-Food-Item-Its-on-the-Menu-at-Le-Champagne.aspx (If the link from the SS blog doesn't work, it is what SS is calling "the world's priciest food item". (Basically edible gold leaf on risotto.) Looks (and sounds) yummy!

Second, if I paid ahead of time for the $30 Le Champagne cover change (that is listed in the Bon Voyage gift package), would this assure me of getting into Le Champagne? I realize that reservations are required, and I fully intend on trying to make a reservation as soon as I board but even then, if memory serves, the last time I was on SS, Le Champagne was already fully booked before I could even try to make a reservation on board. (Mind you, this was before the menus changed.)

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

RK

We ate in Le Champagne on the Silver Whisper a few weeks ago. The food was excellent, Michelin 1-star quality. To answer your questions:

1. We did not try the gold-leaf risotto.

2. It did not occur to us to try booking in advance via the Bon Voyage scheme, and I have no idea whether this works. By the time we boarded in mid-afternoon, the room was fully booked. But by Day 4 or 5 (of a 7-day cruise) we were reached on the wait list with a choice of days. Whether we were helped in this by the head sommelier, as we requested him to do in light of our having bought an expensive custom premium wine package, we have no idea.

3. We did notice that some of the tables remained unoccupied throughout the entire evening, which suggests that cancellations or even no-shows are not uncommon.

Hope this helps.

Le Champagne no longer has the wine pairing/degustation menu for $200pp cost is $30pp but now includes a selection of comp wine pours paired with LC theme. You can still buy wines from the connoisseur list. For our last SS cruise (last November) we bought the $150pp LC bon voyage gift. Now, the new $30pp price for Le Champagne is available on Bon Voyage Gift. When you enter your suite, a card indicating you have a reservation (pre paid) is in an envelope on your desk. You can have your Butler make your reservations or do it yourself. Our approach to snag rsvns of our choice in specialty restaurants (works every time we have used it) is described below.

Our approach for every SS cruise we take is board just prior to noon (disregard what you cruise dox say) once my security pix is taken, leave my wife to finish and I immediately head for LC, La Terraza, and Hot Rocks (also tendency to book up within hours on embark day). Normally, the Maitre'D for these specialty restaurants are stationed at the restaurants as this time to take rsvns. Have not had a problem getting our rsvns yet following this practice.

Henry/Wripro; tho I would much rather be sipping champagne with Ida at lunch, do enjoy the face-to-face interaction with the Maitre'D's (esp if it's Marcelo in Le Champagne, tho he became The Restaurant Mairte'D on the Spirit when we were on board last November). I recall just prior to the maiden crossing on the Spirit (late fall of 2009) information desk at SS said they hope to have an online reservation system in place within six months. Obviously, they changed those plans.

Rkaratsu;

At the blog link u provide in you first post in this thread SS says:

"Of course, there are many other delicacies to be savoured at Le Champagne with its new à la carte menu, which changes to reflect the season and destinations visited on the voyage."

Hoftraveler,

Was the risotto on the menu the evening you ate at LC?

Also, does the menu change appreciably each evening now?...

Thanks!

RK

Risotto seemed to be on the menu every evening. As a matter of fact, I did not notice one change to Le Champagne's menu throughout the cruise whenever I'd stop by to take a look or when we dined there.

We dined there twice; once taking a white wine route with our menu choices, the other a red wine route. We were very pleased with this approach.

If anyone is interested in the risotto, I'd bet whatever I have that they use the Alain Ducasse's method that is written out by Thomas Keller in his first cookbook. They taste *identical*...which is a good thing. The hint of white wine is there along with the obvious creaminess of stirring in countless cups of whipped cream and butter at the end. Fwiw, I could do without the gold leaf. I'd rather they do a truffle oil one night (w/truffle shaving if in season) and perhaps others depending on what they have. I felt no culinary impact of the gold...it's just showy. Nothing wrong with a little showmanship when on vacation of course...but I'd take a flavoring if I had the choice.

First of all, has anyone tried this?:

http://blog.silversea.com/post/2012/07/12/Worlds-Priciest-Food-Item-Its-on-the-Menu-at-Le-Champagne.aspx (If the link from the SS blog doesn't work, it is what SS is calling "the world's priciest food item". (Basically edible gold leaf on risotto.) Looks (and sounds) yummy!

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

RK

Yes, Chris ordered this when we dined at LC in June. Very creamy and tasty, but agree with Drivingrain that the gold was just for show... BTW, gold used to be used as a medical treatment for rheumatoid arthritis. Not so much these days!

The menu did not change while we were on board either.

Hi Rachel, alas under the $150pp rate you had to pay by credit card once u ordered the LC Bon Voyage gift. You will be able to use OBC to pay the specialty restaurant reservation fees (Seishin and LC) once on board tho.

Do not worry about getting a reservation. Our cruise was one third empty. Talking to the crew, many have been like that. We ate in le champagne twice. They have the wonderful risotto. La Terezza

Is also good for dinner. Unfortunately, the food in The Restaurant was not good. One shrimp that was grainy on the appetizer and the skinniest slice of prime rib is not luxury cruising to me. The chef , I believe, Ann Marie, is awful. Our luck this was our second trip with her.

Le champagne was wonderful. We have.easten in many of NY's finest and I would say our experience was equal to the best.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any link where one get "sample" menus for La Champagne and the other venues on Silversea ships? On Oceana boards, for example, there are copies of menus in the main dining room and specialty restaurants.

Wes, we were told in Feb. that you could not use your OBC for Bon Voyage gifts, including Le Champagne. I had my TA check and this is from SS. So, just check with SS before you book via the net.

That is a surprise, I would have thought that the OBC could have been used for anything that could be bought on board. So what can it be used for? Sorry, new here so lots to learn!

That is a surprise, I would have thought that the OBC could have been used for anything that could be bought on board. So what can it be used for? Sorry, new here so lots to learn!

I think what Marcie (Post #15) meant is that you can't use the OBC as Bon Voyage gift -- but I believe once on board -- get your reservation set at Le Champagne and it will be charged to your on board account -- which is full when you embark -- and you charge and spend it down. You cannot take any remainder in cash.

At least that's my understanding of the procedure.

Archived