Airfare Rome to Tampa

Cruzinram

DW and I would love to take the T/A in April in Rome, then connect with a land tour. Looking over the airfares one way return from Rome to

Tampa are very expensive at this time. We would be returning in late May 2013. Can anyone who has returned one way from Rome to Tampa tell me would the fares would be about that time.

A couple of thoughts....

Check "choice air" (you don't need a reservation to look) because they have one way fares that the airlines don't offer (eg. on American)

Look at airlines that offer one way pricing....those include Aer Lingus, Air Berlin (great airline, unknown in the US and they fly to miami).

If I recall correctly, we paid $550 or so on american flying rome to tampa after this year's TA. though choice air.

Choice air is my first suggestion, rates from Italy to Florida in may are 600 to 800 right now. And check alternate dates and airports!

One day later or earlier can triple the price!

Try Orlando or Miami as well if nothing is affordable to Tampa.

Have a great trip!

Book an "open jaw" or "multi-city" booking. For one of my TAs the multi-city, from home airport to Fort Lauderdale, then Rome to home was around $550 while the one way from Rome to home (same airline, same flight) was over $2000!

If you were planning to spend a few days somewhere before the trip you could book to the first destination, then the second leg from there to Rome. I know someone who went to Paris for three days before her Rome TA cruise, then flew into Rome (which she had seen before) the day before her TA home.

Or you could fly into Milan and catch the opera at LaScala, then fly over to Rome later the next day.

For those who live near the cruise port, the first leg could be Rome to home, and book the second leg anywhere - that way you can just ignore the last leg of the trip. You do not want to miss the first segment of a trip because that cancels the rest of your booking.

We used Choice Air for our return from Rome to Tampa as well. We chose their flex fare as a precaution in case we had to cancel before final payment. We flew American costing about $560. You can choose your own flight from the list they show and book on the site.

There really should be a sticky on this, but search ONE WAY FLIGHT here in this forum, and you'll see lots of suggestions. The bottom line is that most airlines don't offer their deepest discounted rates on one-ways, so you'd end up paying full fare coach. That being said, look at connecting with a smaller carrier like Air Berlin, Aer Lingus, who don't have that policy; or check out Choice Air who have access to consolidator fares that most of the major travel sites don't have access to.

A couple of thoughts....

Check "choice air" (you don't need a reservation to look) because they have one way fares that the airlines don't offer (eg. on American)

Look at airlines that offer one way pricing....those include Aer Lingus, Air Berlin (great airline, unknown in the US and they fly to miami).

If I recall correctly, we paid $550 or so on american flying rome to tampa after this year's TA. though choice air.

That is a great rate ...

We're on the April 20 T/A Reflection and staying in Rome a few days afterward. We did take a Choice Air flight into Orlando for under $600, quite less than the $1700 one way flights we saw online with airlines. The cost quoted for into Tampa for us was the same as Orlando. Theres always a chance they might drop with Choice Air, but the chance they could rise is also there. $600 sounded good for us. Now just to decide the best way to get to Miami. Good luck getting your air.

...Now just to decide the best way to get to Miami...
I assume you know that often / usually there is no drop fee on one-way car rentals within Florida. For a recent crruise we picked up a car near us in St. Pete and dropped it near the port [with a free shuttle] for $23 plus gasoline. If you are willing to do the driving that's a price that can't be beat short of hitchhiking.

Thom

I assume you know that often / usually there is no drop fee on one-way car rentals within Florida. For a recent crruise we picked up a car near us in St. Pete and dropped it near the port [with a free shuttle] for $23 plus gasoline. If you are willing to do the driving that's a price that can't be beat short of hitchhiking.

Thom

No, Thom we didn't realize that, we haven't rented a car in many many years, thanks for letting me know. Are you driving down the day of?

No, Thom we didn't realize that, we haven't rented a car in many many years, thanks for letting me know. Are you driving down the day of?
I had to check your posts to see what cruise you are discussing - looks like the 23 Apr 2013 Reflection Miami-Rome. We actually will be in Fakarava, French Polynesia that day getting ready to sail to Pitcairn and then Easter Island. We did Equinox Rome-FLL last fall and Connie FLL-Amsterdam this spring, and are scheduled on the 1 Nov 2013 Reflection Rome-FLL so we are familiar with TransAtlantics. I have a lot more experience with rental cars in FLL than in Miami, but assume that you can find something that works in Miami.

When we do drive down we leave Pinellas County about 6am and are in FLL dropping the car about 10:30am the day of, and are on-board eating lunch before noon. For round trips out of South Florida we can usually get a rental down and a rental back for what it costs to park at the port for a week, and no wear & tear on our car. For two weeks out of South Florida the two rentals are almost always significantly cheaper than parking or the bus to the cruise ship.

enjoy

Thom

Our t/a is April 20, 2013. We did drive down to Miami last year and left our car in their facility. Another couple shared the parking fee, gas and tolls so the expense wasn't bad at all. Really like the idea to drive down in a one way rental and then with the flight back to MCO renting another to come home. The Villages has a shuttle that operates back and forth to the airport so that might be an option also, thinking the car rental might not be as costly as there is another couple traveling with us. Time to work it all out. Thanks for your insight.

Diane

Archived