Concierge cabin question

sosh

We are sailing on Sept 30th on Nautica from Dover. We have a Concierge cabin and are on a wait list for a PH. At this point I doubt if we will get a PH. Can anyone tell me if there will be an I Pad or a laptop in the cabin or should I plan on bringing mine.

We are sailing on Sept 30th on Nautica from Dover. We have a Concierge cabin and are on a wait list for a PH. At this point I doubt if we will get a PH. Can anyone tell me if there will be an I Pad or a laptop in the cabin or should I plan on bringing mine.

Neither device is provided in Concierge cabins on the Nautica (although IPADS are coming in 2013).

That's true but it does depend on what you want to use it for. Or maybe I should say HOW MUCH you want to use it.

I like to upload my photos day-by-day and at least label them, even though I don't try any editing until I get home. My computer is better for that. (In fact, I don't think I can do that on the provided computer.)

(I once asked (several years ago) if I could download my zip drive to a CD-R and was told I could ... for about $25. I chewed the lady out ... well, not exactly because she was just enforcing a policy, not creating it, but there was no way I was going to pay $25 for that privilege. My laptop hadn't been working and so I thought I could go to the internet cafe and accomplish the same purpose. Heck, it was MY CD-R! Fortunately, when my laptop realized how furious I was, it started working beautifully.)

I also write my diary, and if it's true that the laptops provided have Word installed (I don't know because I haven't used these computers) that really doesn't help me because I'm a Word Perfect person! I have Word on my computers but only so that I can send documents to Word People. So I still prefer my own computer. (Sure, if desperate I could create the diary in Word. I just choose not to, that's all.)

Likewise, I need USB access which I understand from Jim is not available on these computers.

For many people the computer that is provided will be sufficient. For others, not.

But if you just want to check email, then the ship's internet cafe should suffice. As everyone says, slower than at home ... but do-able.

Mura

My understanding is that the IPad o provides is pretty worthless. It is just a vehicle for u to use email or search the internet No apps. No fun.

Sending this from my iPad!

For us, the advantage will be the ability to communicate with the ship's staff without having to go back to the cabin to check email and such.

Getting things accomplished while trotting from a Cooking Class to Team Trivia to the Martini Tasting is always challenging, but the Ipad will make it that much easier.

For us, the advantage will be the ability to communicate with the ship's staff without having to go back to the cabin to check email and such.

Getting things accomplished while trotting from a Cooking Class to Team Trivia to the Martini Tasting is always challenging, but the Ipad will make it that much easier.

You are so crazy. I am laughing so hard at this.

I remember when being mid Atlantic meant no communication with the outside world.

Now we have wall to wall information overload and the dubious pleasure of listening to people shouting into their mobiles "you'll never guess where I am....".

Even parts of the tube are being fitted so you can make and receive calls/e-mail, nowhere is safe!

Oh dear, I've become a "Luddite".......

Bah humbug..... :D

You're kidding, right? You communicate with your butler or other staff by email?

Well, I suppose that you could, but what I was trying to say was that with the Ipod, the Cellar-master could confirm that a wine that we had ordered for Privée had been decanted, or that the Concierge could let us know that the Invitations that we gave him had been delivered.

When sailing a port intensive itinerary, one often leaves the ship BEFORE these people are on duty, and returns AFTER the task should have been accomplished, so the Ipod will be a real boon.

Well, I suppose that you could, but what I was trying to say was that with the Ipod, the Cellar-master could confirm that a wine that we had ordered for Privée had been decanted, or that the Concierge could let us know that the Invitations that we gave him had been delivered.

When sailing a port intensive itinerary, one often leaves the ship BEFORE these people are on duty, and returns AFTER the task should have been accomplished, so the Ipod will be a real boon.

LOL..I always go right to the Captain!!

Jancruz1

Sounds good to me. You are paying a premium on O- Why not get premium expedited service? Makes sense. I HATE running all over the ship to get things done or looking for a house phone to contact the Concierge etc.

Archived