Is a passport really necessary?

sparkysj

I was just wanting some thoughts on if a passport is really necessary for a cruise since you don't actually have to have one to cruise. I have been on 5 & never used one and it would add over $500 for all of us to get one...I know they are good for 10 years (kids only 5) but since the odds of us needing one for any other reason than to cruise once a year (we don't vacation any other way except here in U.S.) it seems like a waste of money to me. Thanks.

In my opinion, no they are not worth the money just for a cruise. You have to understand the risks though and decide accordingly. Some people will not cruise without one, and others are like me who are OK without it. If you really want all the opinions here, I suggest doing a search in this forum for "passport" and you will get all the entertainment you can stand for one night.:D

I would have had a problem changing my drivers license from Florida to TX when I moved here if I had not had a passport, as they required multiple IDs and I didnt have any of the others on the list .. luckily I had a passport I could go home for.

I never understood why some folks have an issue with getting a passport. At the age of 53 I am like at like passport #7 (they didn't always go for ten years). I just don't get it!

I flew down from NJ to FL the other day, and I used my Passport for ID with the TSA.

What's the issue with getting a passport? Last time I checked your local post office might do it. That's how I got my last one.

I just don't know what the friggin' issue is with getting a passport.

Oh....... is it the money????? :rolleyes:

3 of our 4 family members cruise without a passport. We've been on 8 cruises and planning our 9th. The only reason I have a passport is for my job.

There are ways to get home in an emergency without a passport, but it will be more timely and complicated than if you had one.

Weigh the pro's and con's, then make your own decision. The fearmongers will be here shortly to help! ;) :D

I just posted on our Victory roll call about this topic. 2 years ago a friend of mine had a brain aneurysm and passed away on a cruise. Her body was left in Grand Turk and her son and daughter in law (w/o passports) had to get back on the ship, could not fly home from there. Family in the states had to contact Red Cross and Congressman to try to get them home. She was, I'm guessing here, maybe 60 years old... Who would of thought something like that could ever happen?

I just posted on our Victory roll call about this topic. 2 years ago a friend of mine had a brain aneurysm and passed away on a cruise. Her body was left in Grand Turk and her son and daughter in law (w/o passports) had to get back on the ship, could not fly home from there. Family in the states had to contact Red Cross and Congressman to try to get them home. She was, I'm guessing here, maybe 60 years old... Who would of thought something like that could ever happen?

That's sad, but there ya' go. If you can afford the cruise, then get the passport!

I cruise with a passport because it is so easy. One piece of ID, what could be easier? Also, since it is good for 10 years, it is definitely worth the cost to me since I travel often. I usually do not fly, but in case I ever wanted (or needed) to fly internationally spur of the moment, I could do so without scrambling. For me, having a passport equals peace of mind. When I first started traveling back in the late nineties, I used my drivers license and birth certificate.....even to fly to Mexico or the Caribbean. It was usually hassle-free, except that sometimes my birth certificate would be scrutinized with an extra-fine tooth comb, and that would make me nervous sometimes. My BC was a certified certificate from Vital Statistics with a raised seal(NOT a hospital record), but the paper used from our vital statistics office looked very "unoffical" even though it was, indeed, official. With a passport, there is no doubt, and thus, peace of mind. My opinion.

I never understood why some folks have an issue with getting a passport. At the age of 53 I am like at like passport #7 (they didn't always go for ten years). I just don't get it!

I flew down from NJ to FL the other day, and I used my Passport for ID with the TSA.

What's the issue with getting a passport? Last time I checked your local post office might do it. That's how I got my last one.

I don't think it's really the issue of not wanting to get it. It's an extra cost, and if you have 4 or 5 in your family traveling on a closed loop cruise, it's not required, so it's just something that you have to decide whether or not to spend the money on. I personally do have a passport (probably also on number 7 or 8 since I've had one since I was a young child), but it's more for the international travel I do by air. If I didn't already have a passport, I would feel OK to travel with a BC. My kids do not have passports, and they use a BC when we cruise. I know things can happen, but I also know the risk is slim, so I'm willing to take that risk. Others are not and I respect that.

I cruise with a passport because it is so easy. One piece of ID, what could be easier? Also, since it is good for 10 years, it is definitely worth the cost to me since I travel often. I usually do not fly, but in case I ever wanted (or needed) to fly internationally spur of the moment, I could do so without scrambling. For me, having a passport equals peace of mind. When I first started traveling back in the late nineties, I used my drivers license and birth certificate.....even to fly to Mexico or the Caribbean. It was usually hassle-free, except that sometimes my birth certificate would be scrutinized with an extra-fine tooth comb, and that would make me nervous sometimes. My BC was a certified certificate from Vital Statistics with a raised seal(NOT a hospital record), but the paper used from our vital statistics office looked very "unoffical" even though it was, indeed, official. With a passport, there is no doubt, and thus, peace of mind. My opinion.

Now there is someone who knows what they're talking about!

Just get a passport, it's not brain surgery or expensive!

It's something back in 2005 they said by Jan,1 2006 everyone would need a passport to travel even on a closed loop cruise. The four of us got PP's for our 2006 cruise. Here we are six years later and one can still cruise w/BC & pic ID. We were in a panic to get PP's. 35 family members were on that cruise.

I was just wanting some thoughts on if a passport is really necessary for a cruise since you don't actually have to have one to cruise. I have been on 5 & never used one and it would add over $500 for all of us to get one...I know they are good for 10 years (kids only 5) but since the odds of us needing one for any other reason than to cruise once a year (we don't vacation any other way except here in U.S.) it seems like a waste of money to me. Thanks.

A passport is the best and simplest ID one can have. It's one little book, nothing else is necessary. You never know where your travels will take you when you vacation. I'd had a passport since childhood and was taught to never travel without it. The initial outlay may seem like an expensive deal but the time and hassle it saves when traveling is well worth it.

The main reason we have them is in the case there is an emergency, medical or other, and you need to fly, you can't without a passport.

Exactly

You are toooo funny! LOL;):)

DH and I have passports because we like to travel to AIs and have been to Mexico twice. DD has a passport because DH and I have one and figured we would get her one for the cruise. We also assume we will go to Mexico again with her before it expires, so it was worth it for us. If neither of us had passports and had no plans of leaving the US other than to cruise I might not get one. But I like the option of leaving on a last minute vacation out of the country, just in case someone says, hey here are tickets to (insert exotic dream place here). Not that it has ever ACTUALLY happened, but just in case. :D

No, not currently necessary for a closed loop cruise from the US. In a true life and death emergency there is a lot than can be done in a hurry.

My Mom has a passport card. She and I had the same experience with customs. She showed one card, I showed my passport. One ID for each of us and we were both waved right through. The passport cards may be something to consider.

I love having a passport. So easy anytime I fly thats what I use.

My 22 mth grandson has one. Makes mine and my DH life so easy when we are flying with him. We often fly to Mich to get him so his mom & dad can travel. Just really nice to have:)

I'm of the same opinion as you. 9 cruises over 11 years where we never needed one. If I had purchased them we would have spent over $1000 so far on something we did not need. Yes there is an extremely small risk you may need one during the few hours you are on foreign soil....to me the risk does not outweigh the cost and you will not be stranded if that small risk what if did happen.

Of course it is the money. I'm not in the habit of purchasing things I don't need....at the age of 46, I've never needed one.

I like peace of mind and the ability to go where I want when I want and not have to worry. I am on passport #3. I don't have to post on boards asking if I can .... without a passport. I use my passport for an ID on domestic flights. TSA loves them as they are standard and easy to read. You may get away without one for years and then it hits and you need one to get back in the US. If you think it is easy to walz into a US Consulate and walz out in minutes with a new one, I have a bridge in AZ I want to talk to you about. Without a passport, you do not have US citizenship.

I have been traveling with a passport for many years now-think I am on my 6th one. We do land as well as cruise vacations so it is necessary for us. We had a family that got injured on a cruise with us (Carnival Excursion) and had to be flown back to U.S. They had a very hard time getting back. Several of the family members continued on the cruise with us so we got to hear the details. Needless to say they stated they would promptly get one when they got back. It is an expense and a little time consuming,but since you live so close to a large city you could get yours pretty easy there. In my books just the comfort of knowing I could get home easily makes it worth it. It is kind of like insurance--you can take the risk without it, only you know your comfort zone. Hey we are only going to two foreign ports so maybe not as scary!

I like peace of mind and the ability to go where I want when I want and not have to worry. I am on passport #3. I don't have to post on boards asking if I can .... without a passport. I use my passport for an ID on domestic flights. TSA loves them as they are standard and easy to read. You may get away without one for years and then it hits and you need one to get back in the US. If you think it is easy to walz into a US Consulate and walz out in minutes with a new one, I have a bridge in AZ I want to talk to you about. Without a passport, you do not have US citizenship.

So anyone without a passport is a man without a country? Hmmmm, that's a new one on me;).

The short answer is, no, on a closed loop cruise a US citizen does not need a passport. Most of the risks associated with having to fly back are directly within the traveler's control. Yes, unexpected things do happen and it is impossible to mitigate all risk to zero. Fact is the vast majority of people (probably 98% or better) that leave on a closed loop cruise return on the same cruise.

I got my first passport when I was in the Air Force back in 1977. I was pregnant and getting a medical discharge. We were stationed in England and I had no choice. Without a passport I could not stay in England with my husband when I was discharged. Then when our son was born, we had to get him one.

Our first cruise was in 1995. We had no idea then that you could cruise without a passport. We just assumed that since we were leaving the country we had to have a passport. I got mine renewed then. DH had one that his employer got for him. We learned a few years later that we didn't need one. But we always renew our passports. I like traveling with one just for ID. It is so much easier than trying to handle a small drivers license. And I just don't want to risk losing my BC. I know, you can get it replaced. But then the vacation follows you home, and not in a good way.

Everyone has good reasons for having a passport. And a family of 5 has a good reason not to have passports. Each person has to decide for themself. Either way, just enjoy your cruise!!!!

Archived