Is a passport really necessary?

sparkysj

If you don't travel any other way except by cruise, the only reason you would need one is if you got stranded or had an emergency and needed to fly yourself or you children back to the US or other location. You may need one some day of you or your kids want to explore the world a little further.

Personally I love the ease and freedom of the passport. I like being able to go where I want, when I want. And if you're willing to spend several hundred per person for a few days of a cruise, spending 500 for a 10-year valid travel doc is the cheaper outlay of expense IMO. But of course, it's up to you To figure out what makes sense for your family.

I was just wanting some thoughts on if a passport is really necessary for a cruise since you don't actually have to have one to cruise. I have been on 5 & never used one and it would add over $500 for all of us to get one...I know they are good for 10 years (kids only 5) but since the odds of us needing one for any other reason than to cruise once a year (we don't vacation any other way except here in U.S.) it seems like a waste of money to me. Thanks.

In spite of what the naysayers will tell you, you have already answered your own question. For you at this time it is not necessary nor is it needed.

Of course it is the money. I'm not in the habit of purchasing things I don't need....at the age of 46, I've never needed one.

LOL. You purchased a cruise you don't need. It appears to me you do purchase things you do not need that are a convenient luxury...

A passport is a convenient luxury for some.

I'm a single mother who likes to cruise with my kids (ages 15 & 8). We all have passports & although we normally take closed loop cruises, I like the piece of mind it brings when we in another country like Mexico. If we missed getting on the boat or if there's an incident, having a passport is a great help. Is it absolutely needed? No. If I planned on staying on the boat and never visit any of the ports, I'd be fine. If I left the ship, I could be severely screwed in an emergency without it.

My Mom has a passport card. She and I had the same experience with customs. She showed one card, I showed my passport. One ID for each of us and we were both waved right through. The passport cards may be something to consider.

But if you mom needed to fly back (i.e., emergency) a passport card wouldn't work. http://travel.state.gov/passport/ppt_card/ppt_card_3926.html

The U.S. Passport Card can be used to enter the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry and is more convenient and less expensive than a passport book. The passport card cannot be used for international travel by air.

LOL. You purchased a cruise you don't need. It appears to me you do purchase things you do not need that are a convenient luxury...

A passport is a convenient luxury for some.

Yes the cruise was a want. I do spend my money on things that I want (provided I can afford them). But that doesn't mean that I want a passport that is not needed when I take that cruise:rolleyes: that I wanted. I have no need nor any desire (I don't need it as a security blanket) to get one so why should I spend my hard earned money on one when it is not required.

It's not a legal necessity for a closed-loop cruise. It's not a good idea to travel internationally without one, though.

If you have to fly onward to meet your ship, or fly home, without a passport you'll have to cool your heels at the nearest US embassy or consulate until they grant you a temporary passport.

I was just wanting some thoughts on if a passport is really necessary for a cruise since you don't actually have to have one to cruise. I have been on 5 & never used one and it would add over $500 for all of us to get one...I know they are good for 10 years (kids only 5) but since the odds of us needing one for any other reason than to cruise once a year (we don't vacation any other way except here in U.S.) it seems like a waste of money to me. Thanks.

Only important if something goes wrong... like travel insurance. It is a 10 year investment against catastrophe.

It's not really necessary for closed loop cruises.....until it is. Think about it.

You can't fly home if there is an emergency. No excuses, no medical problems, no family issues will get you on a plane unless you have a valid passport.

While you are all correct a passport is not necessary to cruise (closed loop) however, my prediction is eventually no one will be able to fly anywhere without a passport in the future. Hasn't happened yet if your not flying internationally, but as things change - so will this.

As stated above they do not want to spend $500

on PP's for their family. It is their choice, they have

to live with whatever happens..

I never understood why some folks have an issue with getting a passport. At the age of 53 I am like at like passport #7 (they didn't always go for ten years). I just don't get it!

I flew down from NJ to FL the other day, and I used my Passport for ID with the TSA.

What's the issue with getting a passport? Last time I checked your local post office might do it. That's how I got my last one.

I just don't know what the friggin' issue is with getting a passport.

Oh....... is it the money????? :rolleyes:

Now there is someone who knows what they're talking about!

Just get a passport, it's not brain surgery or expensive!

I'm sorry but your responses are getting a little bit snarky. Yes, they are expensive to a person who saves a whole year for a cruise. Especially when you are talking about a whole family with a total cost of $500. Maybe that amount of money is not much to you but it is to a whole lot of people. I think you need to realize that there are many people who cannot afford that much extra. I am so tired of hearing people say "if you cannot afford _______, then don't cruise". You can fill in the blank with anything from tips to buying drinks to passports. Those type of comments are not only unnecessary but also counterproductive to any type of conversation, and slightly rude! You have no idea of anyone else's money situation and should not be commenting on it.

You do not need a passport for a closed loop cruise, if you cannot afford it then by all means do not spend the money. If something happens, you will not be stranded for the rest of your life in another country. Yes, it may take a bit to be able to get back into the US but you will not be left to die there.

Everyone needs to decide for themselves what they can and cannot afford. If you cannot afford one, then don't get one but do realize the downfalls of not having one.

the answer is no for cruising.

I always have a valid passport. I enjoy traveling..... alot.

I'm a US citizen born and raised. I carry my passport with me even when traveling in the US. Why?? you might ask. Because I am of hispanic decent. There is no way I'm going anywhere near a southern border/mexico/caribbean island without proof of US citizenship on me. I can't even speak the language. You ever watch that old Cheech and Chong movie. "Born in East LA" LOL

While you are all correct a passport is not necessary to cruise (closed loop) however, my prediction is eventually no one will be able to fly anywhere without a passport in the future. Hasn't happened yet if your not flying internationally, but as things change - so will this.

When that happens, those of us who fly will get a passport or just not fly (for some). We are talking about now and what is. The law now is that a passport is not necessary for a closed loop cruise.

I have both PP book and PP card, b/c my belief is the more ID's you have, the more options you have, and you never know what can happen. Government regs and the attitude of border officials can change without warning. Your need for emergency travel to another country can change without warning. Paranoid? Maybe. The cost for both ID's? $14/year. Very cheap insurance.

No one can tell you that you do or don't need one. It depends on your tolerance for risk. Mine is very low so I have one.

There have been a few issues in the past years where passports impacted the cruise. Review for yourself and decide the likelihood based on your itinerary, lifestyle and peace of mind.

1. medical emergency from a foreign country... you need a passport to fly home. In an emergency, the US embassy will help you get home but it may take a few days and you will have to pay for your own hotel room while waiting.

2. You miss the boat and the next stop is a non-US territory. You are stuck without a passport (see US embassy thread above). You can technically get home, but maybe not to the next port depending on where you are and the local laws. They may allow you to fly home without a passport on an emergency basis, but often not to the next port.

3. Weather - last year the Carnival Victory was ordered to depart San Juan hours early because of weather. Many passengers were stranded in San Juan and without a passport, they could only fly home and not to the next port of call to catch the ship. No exceptions were made for those without passports.

The chances are small, no one can make that decision for your family but you.

Have you thought about getting just one for now? At least one adult has a passport just in case? It might make it easier for the family if something did happen.

No one can tell you that you do or don't need one. It depends on your tolerance for risk. Mine is very low so I have one.

There have been a few issues in the past years where passports impacted the cruise. Review for yourself and decide the likelihood based on your itinerary, lifestyle and peace of mind.

Weather - last year the Carnival Victory was ordered to depart San Juan hours early because of weather. Many passengers were stranded in San Juan and without a passport, they could only fly home and not to the next port of call to catch the ship. No exceptions were made for those without passports.

Good example of something that actually happened.

Good example of something that actually happened.

It's also an example of how you can minimize your risk by flying in the day before, boarding as soon as possible and most of all paying attention to the weather and if there is a hurricane coming go get on the SHIP. Personally, I highly doubt I would have been left behind if I had been on that sailing. I'd have been on the ship as soon as I was able and left with her...BC/DL and no passport in hand.

Thanks for all the different opinions:) Since we are less than 60 days out from this years cruise we will think about getting them maybe for next year but even though many on here believe if you can't afford to get the passports to use 1 time a year at most then you shouldn't cruise I respectfully disagree. Thanks to all.

Archived