Bosphorus cruise - worth it?

mramike

We will be on the Nautica in Istanbul this Nov and we are wondering if the Bosphorus cruise shore excursion @ $100.00 per person is worth it. The time on the water is about 2hrs. Would it be bettter to find our own way to the ferry terminal and do our own cruise? We are quite capable of walking, climbing,etc. so that would not be an issue. We stay on the ship that night so the time line is also flexible - i.e. we don't need to be too concerned about getting back to the ship before it sails!

Any feedback would be appreciated.

I have taken the ferry a number of times while visiting Istanbul, and it is no more than 10% of the cost of the ship's tour (one site lists the fare as about $6 return). You get a great tour of the Bosphorus, ending in a small town with great fish restaurants on the waterfront (Anadolu kavagi). Easy to do and I am told you can catch a bus back if you do not want to ride on the ferry ( I have never done it. Watch out for the orange juice vendors, if they are still operating. They pass out glasses that you might think are complimentary - they then return for payment. Great if you want it, but a bit of a scam if you don't.

It will take a good chunk of your day if you ride the ferry both ways, but it does stop long enough for you to have lunch as well as do a little exploring of the town or of the fortress on top of the hill.

Try searching for "cost of Bosphorus ferry) and you will get some good information. Enjoy the trip.

I, too, would say if you want to do it -- find another way than a ship's tour.

We booked this on our own when we were in Istanbul for the first time with Renaissance, so this goes back to February 2000. We'd been planning on doing something else which fell through, so we booked the boat trip through the hotel. We used the same outfit Ren did for about half the cost.

It was a very pleasant day. However, I would say that if you are in Istanbul for a limited time -- I would do other things first. The Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, the Cistern, Topkapi, the Archeological Museums, etc. (all of which you can do on your own).

If you have several days there, the boat trip is enjoyable. From your post it does sound as if you are just there for the day in port ... and I would recommend you do something else on that day. Just my opinion!

It's YOUR trip!

Mura

Google is your friend and let your fingers do the walking.

You can find any number of Bosphorus tours from 1/2 day to full day for much less than that (even where you do not have to find your own way).

Just a couple of examples from many available tours:

http://www.istanbultoursguide.com/tour_bosphoruscruise.htm

http://alltoursistanbul.com/Bosphorus-Tours/

Have fun searching. :)

I know you are asking about a Bosphorus tour but I completely agree with Mura on the "must sees" in Istanbul. Most of what she mentioned are near each other and if you are fit you can walk from one to the other. I would start with the Blue Mosque, then the Ayasophia, Topkapi and the Cistern are very close to each other. I cannot recall what the entrance fees are but the exchange rate is approx. 1.8 Turkish Lira to the dollar so things seem cheap in Turkey. A good private guide probably can cover it all in 6 or 7 hours and cost less than the ship's tour.The roll call for your cruise might be of help here. Also the Grand Bazaar iis not very far from the other sites and is worth seeing as well.

I have a wonderful picture of my husband sleeping during our Bosphorus

boat ride!!!! We were in Istanbul for three full days and I really wish I would have had the time it took to do the boat ride back. There is just so

much to see in Istanbul more time on the water is not the best use of your time.

Thanks so much for the hepful suggestions. We will be sure to avoid the orange juice!

Actually, we will be adding a few days on at the end of the trip. We are staying in the Sultanahemet, so seeing the major sites will happen. We just felt that the afternoon time we had with the ship might be a good opportunity to "do" the Bosphorus cruise, since I think we will be walking around much of the remaining days we are in istanbul

Any tips/suggestions as to the best way to get from the cruise terminal to the main ferry stop? Can we walk it? Would a taxi be a waste of money?

We would probably be getting the ferry trip around 1:30 - 2:00 in the PM as the ship docks at noon.

Remember, this is Nov 14th, so it will get dark a little early. IF is is walkable, is it safe?

BTW... we will be staying at the Hotel Amira. Anyone know anything about this hotel? We just picked it because it got good reviews on trip advisor.

Again, thanks for any help or suggestions!

Mike/david

Taxis are a good way to get around Istanbul. They are metered and the rates are reasonable. Just make sure there isn't any time left on the meter when you start out. The drivers mosly speak limited English so communication can be difficult. Another thing to be aware of is that that most of the day the traffic can really be horrific in Istanbul so the driver may take what seems like an out of the way route but he will save you time and money in the end.

Hi Mramike,

Our first Oceania trip (we're about to head out on number 6 next week) was Istanbul to Athens a few years ago. I agree with the comments above that if you have time to go up the Bosporus it is an easy trip to do on your own. We enjoyed it very much, hiked up to the fort and looked at the Black Sea from there, had lunch at one of the local restaurants. It was nice to have a relaxing day after two days of intense sightseeing. We stayed at the Empress Zoe and had a wonderful time. Like the hotel you've picked, it is in the perfect location with lots of charm. We hired a guide outside the Sophia who was knowledgable and inexpensive. Rent Topkapi before you go -- a delightful old movie that will get you in the mood for Istanbul. All the sites mentioned by others are worth visiting. Have a great time! I am looking forward to returning there someday.

Sorry I forgot to answer your question about getting to the ferry terminal. It really depends on where the ship docks. The Nautical actually changed berths while we were there! We could see it and the ferry terminal from our hotel. It was very safe during the day to walk across the bridge to the ferry terminal, but I'm not sure about in the evening. Again, it depends on where the ship docks. I found Istanbul to be safe, but we were there in summer, so I'm not sure about the evening. As someone else said, taxis are inexpensive. There are some good restaurants near your hotel, can't remember the name of one at the moment, but we walked back to Zoe after dinner in the dark (lots of street lights so not so dark) and felt safe. I hope this helps. Make sure you see the bridge between Europe and Asia when it is lit up at night. Sorry, I can't remember the name, but you can't miss it arching across the Bosporus.

We cruised on the Nautica from Istanbul last year, and spent 5 days in Istanbul before cruising (at the Ottoman Imperial in Sultanahmet). Our pre-cruise docs said either Salipazari Port or Kakakoy Port; it turned out we were docked at Salipazari Port. It's a good hike to the Galata bridge from that port, and while the neighborhood seemed safe enough in daytime, it was not enjoyable. We walked (and in the summer it was a very hot hike) and took public transport back (and public transports were always jam packed). Take a taxi...Also, the HOHO bus has a stop about a block from this port, and we enjoyed riding thru some of the more far-flung areas of Istanbul.

We took the ships tour of a Bosphorus cruise two years ago and we enjoyed it.. It went up the Bosphorus for about an hour or so and then returned. It was a private boat just for the O passengers. We did not have the time to do the ferry. We had been in Istanbul several times before. Luckily we were on this boat becuase it was drizzly and the boat was able to pull the windows down and we could still see out. They served drinks..first one free..coffee or juice.

If your time is limited then do the ships tour..we were glad we did..if we are in Istanbul again with lots of time we will do a Ferry ride if its not raining!

Sherry

We will be spending 5 days in Istanbul before our Marina cruise 11/1 and I have been having great fun researching all the sights of the city. You can take the 1-1/2 hour TurYol Bosphorus cruise for 12TL from either ends of the Galata Bridge. Their tours are in the afternoon, so should fit with your time schedule.

You can easily take the tram to get from the ship to Sultanamet for much less than a taxi. They are very inexpensive and efficient. Be sure to have some TL since the trams and ferries take only TL. You can easily walk to the ferry terminals at Karakoy from the ship or to Eminou from Sultanamet. Use googlemaps to determine the distance between points. tripadvisor.com also offers lots of good info on their Istanbul forum.

Archived