Thinking of first Time Royal Carribean

Hello all thinking of Royal Carribean for the first time next September 2013 and looking at promenad view rooms on Freedom, Allure, and Oasis. We been about 30 cruises but never Royal Carribean. Any thoughts and insights about the three ships, the Freedom is about $400.00 cheaper but is that nothing compared to going on the biggest cruise ship on the seas. We have been on the NCL Epic and the Freedom looks like about the exact same size and similar layouts and we liked that cruise and the size was good but felt does anything really need to be bigger thsn this? Thank you in advance for any help or suggestions.:o

Hello all thinking of Royal Carribean for the first time next September 2013 and looking at promenad view rooms on Freedom, Allure, and Oasis. :o

We did Oasis, and it was tremendous. Incredible ship.

Central Park is something else.

Hello all thinking of Royal Carribean for the first time next September 2013 and looking at promenad view rooms on Freedom, Allure, and Oasis. We been about 30 cruises but never Royal Carribean. Any thoughts and insights about the three ships, the Freedom is about $400.00 cheaper but is that nothing compared to going on the biggest cruise ship on the seas. We have been on the NCL Epic and the Freedom looks like about the exact same size and similar layouts and we liked that cruise and the size was good but felt does anything really need to be bigger thsn this? Thank you in advance for any help or suggestions.:o

Freedom is approximately the same size as Epic and carries fewer people (4200 vs 3600) so it's not as crowded as Epic.

Oasis and Allure are awesome ships and to me don't feel like they're carrying the numbers of people that they are. There's a lot to do on these ships and in many ways they are a destination in themselves.

However... Freedom is still my favorite ship. I spend a lot of time in the Schooner Bar and on the Sports deck and I found that I just had better interactions with the staff in those venues. It's not that they're less worked or less busy... it's mostly just that they see fewer people in general and remember individuals better. At least that's how it seemed to me.

Though... Oasis and Allure do have better facilities in general... two rock climbing walls vs one, two flowriders vs one, larger Royal Promenade, larger Schooner Bar (though much noisier), more pools, more hot tubs, larger Solarium, more dining choices.

So.... I'd look at the week you want to cruise and then look at the itineraries. I prefer Eastern over Western (personal preference) though I'd take Freedom Western over Oasis or Allure Western since Freedom would stop at Grand Cayman. On the Eastern itineraries Freedom stops at Coco Cay instead of Nassau and a lot of times misses Coco Cay because of weather. And if Freedom misses Coco Cay you have 4 sea days and 2 port days.

Anyways, I've rambled enough. I'm sure I've given you far too much to think about! :o

Freedom is approximately the same size as Epic and carries fewer people (4200 vs 3600) so it's not as crowded as Epic.

Oasis and Allure are awesome ships and to me don't feel like they're carrying the numbers of people that they are. There's a lot to do on these ships and in many ways they are a destination in themselves.

However... Freedom is still my favorite ship. I spend a lot of time in the Schooner Bar and on the Sports deck and I found that I just had better interactions with the staff in those venues. It's not that they're less worked or less busy... it's mostly just that they see fewer people in general and remember individuals better. At least that's how it seemed to me.

Though... Oasis and Allure do have better facilities in general... two rock climbing walls vs one, two flowriders vs one, larger Royal Promenade, larger Schooner Bar (though much noisier), more pools, more hot tubs, larger Solarium, more dining choices.

So.... I'd look at the week you want to cruise and then look at the itineraries. I prefer Eastern over Western (personal preference) though I'd take Freedom Western over Oasis or Allure Western since Freedom would stop at Grand Cayman. On the Eastern itineraries Freedom stops at Coco Cay instead of Nassau and a lot of times misses Coco Cay because of weather. And if Freedom misses Coco Cay you have 4 sea days and 2 port days.

Anyways, I've rambled enough. I'm sure I've given you far too much to think about! :o

Thank you this is just the point of view I was looking for. Me and the Wife have been wanting to try RC for years just never really had the chance Carnival was always $200.00 to $400.00 per person cheaper but now Carnival does not have ships like these three so difference in price feels justified plus children at college in on there own:D. One more question if you do not mind, you say freedom is your favorite do you think and get that same special feeling with size and layout as you would with Allure or Oasis.:rolleyes:

As you can see I've only been on the little ships. The big difference for me between Carnival and RCCL is the wow factor of the ships. And that is just on the littler one! They are simply beautiful! Wood, glass, marble, etc. There is definately a WOW factor with Oasis and Allure. I'm not sure I would like them as I like to sit in the Schooner lounge and watch the sea go by. But, we all have different tastes and you can always find a ship size and company that fits you.

You will definitely get a "special feeling" when you board the Freedom! As far as layout goes, no, Freedom is not like Oasis and Allure. Only the inside Promande deck is similar. However, I suggest you do the Freedom first and see if you then feel the "big girls" would be worth the extra money. And I would take the western route, as, noted above, Freedom (and all other ships that go there) often misses Coco Cay because of sea conditions and/or weather.

Thank you this is just the point of view I was looking for. Me and the Wife have been wanting to try RC for years just never really had the chance Carnival was always $200.00 to $400.00 per person cheaper but now Carnival does not have ships like these three so difference in price feels justified plus children at college in on there own:D. One more question if you do not mind, you say freedom is your favorite do you think and get that same special feeling with size and layout as you would with Allure or Oasis.:rolleyes:

Well... if you've never been on or seen Oasis or Allure you'll look at Freedom and think there's no way anything is going to be bigger. So yeah, you will get that same special feeling. At least I think so.

I did Oasis in May 2011 and Freedom in Nov 2011, and I really had more fun on Freedom. Not that Oasis wasn't a blast, cause it was, but Freedom just felt better to me.

I wouldn't hesitate to go on any of those three ships -- it would really come down to Western vs Eastern and cost. :)

Thanks to everyone with the input. This is the type of insight I was looking for. Watched a video on you tube on Freedom that closed the deal. I booked Freedom with 8th floor prom. view room. really looking forward to it, and think I got a good price $1508.00 With all taxes for two.:)

Thanks to everyone with the input. This is the type of insight I was looking for. Watched a video on you tube on Freedom that closed the deal. I booked Freedom with 8th floor prom. view room. really looking forward to it, and think I got a good price $1508.00 With all taxes for two.:)

We have been on Oasis and Allure already and just loved the whole package.

This ships are so amazing. They are like none other out there. From the entertainment

to the food and the service, top notch. We have not been on Freedom yet but have

cruised Independence which is in the same class. We chose promenade cabin on

Independence and really loved it. We had the best view in the house when it

came down to watching the parades, the 70's and 80's nite shows or just people

watching. Really enjoyed the Freedom class.

You will love Royal Caribbean, very nice. Good choice.

Wow! $1508 for 2! That would get you 1 on Oasis/Allure. :eek:

I'm sure you'll have a great cruise with Freedom as RCI is a great cruise experience. Enjoy, you really can't go wrong:cool:

• 1 month later...

Great choice! We did a promenade view room on our last Freedom cruise and we really liked it. I'll link my Freedom picture reviews below in case you'd like to check out the pics. Be prepared for some serious "wow factor" when you board Freedom and make your way up to the Royal Promenade for the first time!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1082085

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1274205

Archived