Honest Question (Oh no, not another tipping thread!)

Amy Giard

Actually, this is something I've been mulling over for some time so I don't find it controversial at all.

I haven't eaten in the MDR on my last 3 cruises. I have no intention of removing any gratuities but I have wondered if I should have them redistributed.

well, now that you know they don't get them, you might consider that.

To the OP~ I think your question is honest and legitimate.

If you intend on NOT eating in the MDR at all, I would certainly make sure you are booked for YTD so that a table has not been reserved for you and then adjust/redistribute tips as you feel appropriate :)

I'm not sure what you mean by that. I may have missed something in a previous post. "Who" doesn't get "what" please?

way way way way way back in post 48. if you don't eat in the mdr at all, the people assigned to you get nothing.

i've yet to figure out what black hole the tips for atd goes to for those that skip their meal there.

for your convenience.

Thank you CB!

That makes sense. If I choose YTD (which I do) and never eat in the MDR, then no server is assigned my gratuity.

So, what does CCL do with the money they collect then? :confused:

Thank you too H8. :)

I love it that the OP brought up this topic. Those who have their claws ready to attack, did, of course. The rest brought up some really important points.

We need to know: What happens to the tips paid by people who never eat in the MDR? How do we find out?

I love it that the OP brought up this topic. Those who have their claws ready to attack, did, of course. The rest brought up some really important points.

We need to know: What happens to the tips paid by people who never eat in the MDR? How do we find out?

i'm still scratching my head as to why anyone would advance from simply not tipping if you don't eat there. seems so simple.

That post states who doesn't get them... what others are asking is "where do they go then" ...

Personally, I do eat in the MDR so will leave those tips alone.

It's nice to see that YOU, at least, have reading comprehension skills ;)

I also eat in the MDR many nights and leave the tips alone. Nonetheless, the question must be answered: What happens to the autotips of those who don't eat there?

i'm still scratching my head as to why anyone would advance from simply not tipping if you don't eat there. seems so simple.

But my dear, the very fabric of our society depends upon people who will blindly follow without questioning. Why would you mess with that? :cool:

It's nice to see that YOU, at least, have reading comprehension skills ;)

I also eat in the MDR many nights and leave the tips alone. Nonetheless, the question must be answered: What happens to the autotips of those who don't eat there?

They would go to the servers whose section you were assigned to. They would be real happy as they are making money for doing nothing.

But my dear, the very fabric of our society depends upon people who will blindly follow without questioning. Why would you mess with that? :cool:

just wonder why anyone would donate 4 or 5 hours of work to tip someone that wasn't even serving them. quite odd and gererous.

easier to let "them" just take it from them cause their on vacation.

"spending so much money already that it's just a little more."

i wonder how many fill their gas tanks at $3.67 a gallon, and figure, can ii pay $3.80 instead?

You are allowed to post any questions here... if some consider it stirring the pot... so what?? you can stir as much as you like... even though I don't think this is a stir the pot post...:D

Despite pc beliefs that there are no stupid questions, there really are. Not to say this one falls in that category. But the last line of the OP has the sound of a little scraping on the edge of the pot as the utensil in being inserted. I'm surprised PETA hasn't voiced a complaint since the "old mare" has been beaten into jerky.

Maybe if they changed the designation from "Dining Room Service" to something a bit more generic (so as to more obviously include the people at other eating venues) people would be so hinky about not paying it if they don't spend any (or very much) time in the MDR.

Excellent question. The $ 5.80 tip per day is for sitdown meal service.

If you did not get it due to having all meals on lido think i would reduce the amount by a few dollars per day.

However the food is much better in the DR so for us we would never do it.

You are worried about $40.60 on a 7 day cruise? Forget about it and just enjoy the vacation.

I refuse to read through four pages of a tipping thread. I did wonder the same thing as OP because I didn't eat in the dining room once during my last cruise. The YTD wait was for 30 minutes and it just didn't seem worth it.

I left my tips alone because I'm too damn lazy to care.

You are worried about $40.60 on a 7 day cruise? Forget about it and just enjoy the vacation.

Since as I explained in my post, we have our dinners in the DR it is hypothetical to me.

Just said what I would do in that situation.

by that logic, you should be tipping at mcdonalds as well, as someone is preparing food, as well as cleans tables and washes trays. but you choose not to.

Perhaps at McDonalds in this country the workers make minimum wage but the cruise lines aren't required to pay minimum wage?

I guess the question is whether the waitstaff portion of your tip is designed and intended to be equivalent (in principle, if not in amount) to the tip you would pay for dinner at a restaurant.

If so, then there would be logic to reducing your auto-tips by some or all of that portion. If I go out for dinner either for fast food or to a "serve-yourself buffet" (i.e., where you walk in the door, pay the cashier, and then pick up a plate and fill it with food), I don't typically leave a tip because the cashier's service (and the work done by the cooks, etc.) is not, but any social custom that I'm aware of, a tippable service.

So if I'm eating at the buffet, I'm not receiving the personal service of a waiter and server that, by social convention, normally attracts a tip. It doesn't matter to me that some staff work in the buffet ("they work really hard and they don't earn very much and their families are impoverished ..."). The service they provide is not, by custom, tippable, so it doesn't suddenly become tippable just because I've chosen to eat there instead of the MDR.

All that said, if I was actually in that position, I probably wouldn't bother adjusting the auto-tips (even though I think it would be fully justified). It is a small amount, it is a hassle to do, and it allows me to choose to post from the high road here if I want to.

I agree with you. If I were handing out tips on my own (like I do at home) I would tip at the buffet, but less. We usually give $1-2 per person, depending on exactly how much they do for us, rather than 15 to 20% of the bill like we would at a sit down place. But I would not go out of my way and stand in line to save a few dollars. I wouldn't skip the MDR for the most part anyway, especially not as a means to save on tips.

Archived