Upgrade to "Deluxe Guarantee", or not?

swwake

I know opinions are like noses, but I'd like to hear your thoughts. It looks like we may have the opportunity and budget to upgrade from our D5 Superior Ocean View (balcony) stateroom to "Deluxe Guarantee" (Category W) for our upcoming cruise on Allure.

Does anyone have experience with Deluxe Guarantees? Are we most likely to be assigned a Junior Suite? And if so, it seems that there are really no benefits, other than the larger stateroom. Would you agree?

It looks like there are several suites still available in the higher categories. I wonder if RCI just sails with those empty, or upgrades passengers in hopes of tempting them for future cruises? And if so, I would assume it's more likely that Pinnacle, D+ and Diamond members would receive the upgrades before us lowly Platinum members would.

Also, for those who have cruised in a suite before, do you feel the benefits are worth the cost?

WE have a grandsuite garentee on allure 10/28 have not been given a cabin yet i know we wont get a junor suite so it seems to be a great deal because anything above a grand suite would be great and all the grand suites are located in the same location only differnt floors so it seems like a win win situation but im not sure about a deluxe garentee good luck!!!!

I like the added space of a JS....a regular cabin is just too tight for me.....I like to be able to actually WALK around the room! I'm not concerned with "suite" benefits, as much as the space, so a JS is a cheaper option!

How much more is it? Personally, I would only book Allure again if the JS price was reasonable, because I thought the D4 we were in was really too small. The closet drove me crazy.

I agree, it all depends on cost. If you are talking $200 total to go from a D to a "W", I'd go for it. If it's $1000, then it's not worth it to me.

Well, in our case it looks like $800 total. But the part I left out (not wanting to appear "braggy") was that our cruise (inside cabin) was free because we won it as part of the RCI The Sea Is Calling sweepstakes. So we already paid $400 total to upgrade to the D5. So if we end up with a JS or above for only ~$600pp, that's kind-of a steal, right? We were in a balcony cabin on Oasis in 2010 and didn't have issues with the space, so I'm sure we'd be just find with our D5 as far as space goes.

WE have a grandsuite garentee on allure 10/28 have not been given a cabin yet i know we wont get a junor suite so it seems to be a great deal because anything above a grand suite would be great and all the grand suites are located in the same location only differnt floors so it seems like a win win situation but im not sure about a deluxe garentee good luck!!!!
I don't see Grand Suite Guarantee as an option on the website. Do you think maybe the "Deluxe Guarantee" is the same thing? I searched the RCI site and couldn't find anything about what cabin categories you may be assigned to.

Well, in our case it looks like $800 total. But the part I left out (not wanting to appear "braggy") was that our cruise (inside cabin) was free because we won it as part of the RCI The Sea Is Calling sweepstakes. So we already paid $400 total to upgrade to the D5. So if we end up with a JS or above for only ~$600pp, that's kind-of a steal, right? We were in a balcony cabin on Oasis in 2010 and didn't have issues with the space, so I'm sure we'd be just find with our D5 as far as space goes.

I don't see Grand Suite Guarantee as an option on the website. Do you think maybe the "Deluxe Guarantee" is the same thing? I searched the RCI site and couldn't find anything about what cabin categories you may be assigned to.

If the category designator is a "W", then it's a suite guarantee, which means JS or better.

Throwing our nose into the mix...you are guaranteed a minimum of a JS, but could get something higher.

We love the space in a junior suite and so for us it would definitely be worth it.

We did. Suite GTY for our cruise next month and were assigned a JS. We would love a "surprise call" as we get closer to our sailing, but are happy with the JS.

Good luck with your decision and have a fabulous cruise.

Sailed on Allure in deluxe guarantee, was cheaper then JS rate, and sailed in Grand Suite with all the Suite extras. Can only hope same or better happens to you. JS also gets you the double points on Crown and Anchor as well as large walk in closet.

We were in a balcony cabin on Oasis in 2010 and didn't have issues with the space, so I'm sure we'd be just find with our D5 as far as space goes.

Then I would not pay any extra for the JS. Keep waiting; the price may go down further.

Closer to the sail date if there are a lot of GS or above left they may run a guarantee. They did it for our sailing. We had already booked a GS because we had three people and the suite perks were definitely sweet. I don't know if I can cruise without them now. I loved them. We had a JS the year before and I thought it was a waste except for the large walk in closet, double points, and overall larger space. I would have been just as happy in a balcony cabin. To me, without the perks given to GS or above it just isn't worth it, but that is just my opinion. You will have a great cruise no matter what!

We had a JS the year before and I thought it was a waste except for the large walk in closet, double points, and overall larger space. I would have been just as happy in a balcony cabin.

Extra space, large closet, and double points are the main reasons to book a JS.

• 5 weeks later...
I know opinions are like noses, but I'd like to hear your thoughts. It looks like we may have the opportunity and budget to upgrade from our D5 Superior Ocean View (balcony) stateroom to "Deluxe Guarantee" (Category W) for our upcoming cruise on Allure.

Does anyone have experience with Deluxe Guarantees? Are we most likely to be assigned a Junior Suite? And if so, it seems that there are really no benefits, other than the larger stateroom. Would you agree?

It looks like there are several suites still available in the higher categories. I wonder if RCI just sails with those empty, or upgrades passengers in hopes of tempting them for future cruises? And if so, I would assume it's more likely that Pinnacle, D+ and Diamond members would receive the upgrades before us lowly Platinum members would.

Also, for those who have cruised in a suite before, do you feel the benefits are worth the cost?

Hi SWWAKE,

I am a stalker on the boards, kinda lay low unless I am really curious or feel that I can add something. I just recently changed/upgraded my Interior CP Balcony room for the Deluxe Guarantee (Catagory W) that came available for our Oasis cruise in November and I was wondering what ever became of your reservation and if you did the Deluxe Guarantee upgrade, what category you were assigned. I got it at a great price and would be very happy to have the JS, but curious how it worked out for you.

But the part I left out (not wanting to appear "braggy") was that our cruise (inside cabin) was free because we won it as part of the RCI The Sea Is Calling sweepstakes. .

WOW! That is awesome, Congratulations! Also, I don't think it is braggy! There were only 6 winners in the contest (I think) and it is WONDERFUL to hear at least one of those winners is a Cruise Critic Member!

Well that is a big problem....and hence you shouldn't change until you know the worst case scenario. If a deluxe guarantee will guarantee you a blacony room then you just paid for nothing........

I doubt highly that a "deluxe guarantee" is for a grand suite........otherwise it would probably be called a grand guarantee or a suite guarantee..... be very careful if you are using competitor websites....because they may not be guaranteeing you anything........

Just remember Susan, once we reach that 2000th post on our roll call you are going to owe us some drinks! :D That $800 might come in handy for your Seapass account. :cool: You said you owe me one anyways! :D

Just kidding! I noticed the price difference too on the Deluxe Guarantee and the thought has crossed my mind whether or not to do it......:)

Hi SWWAKE,

I am a stalker on the boards, kinda lay low unless I am really curious or feel that I can add something. I just recently changed/upgraded my Interior CP Balcony room for the Deluxe Guarantee (Catagory W) that came available for our Oasis cruise in November and I was wondering what ever became of your reservation and if you did the Deluxe Guarantee upgrade, what category you were assigned. I got it at a great price and would be very happy to have the JS, but curious how it worked out for you.

I ended up finding out that I won't get C&A points/credit for this cruise regardless, so paying for the guarantee for a JS wasn't worth it, since the only thing having a JS really does for us is give us double C&A points. Congrats on your guarantee! I saw a bunch of "Upgrade Fairy" posts on the 9/23 Allure roll call, so here's hoping the same happens for your Oasis sailing and you get something even better than the JS (which isn't bad, to start with!).

WOW! That is awesome, Congratulations! Also, I don't think it is braggy! There were only 6 winners in the contest (I think) and it is WONDERFUL to hear at least one of those winners is a Cruise Critic Member!
Thank you! I think I've seen one or two others post here that they also won the sweepstakes. I am pretty sure they didn't select my ship/sailing though.

Well that is a big problem....and hence you shouldn't change until you know the worst case scenario. If a deluxe guarantee will guarantee you a blacony room then you just paid for nothing........

I doubt highly that a "deluxe guarantee" is for a grand suite........otherwise it would probably be called a grand guarantee or a suite guarantee..... be very careful if you are using competitor websites....because they may not be guaranteeing you anything........

I later found out that the Deluxe Guarantee was for JS or better. So you'd be guaranteed a JS at the very least.

Just remember Susan, once we reach that 2000th post on our roll call you are going to owe us some drinks! :D That $800 might come in handy for your Seapass account. :cool: You said you owe me one anyways! :D

Just kidding! I noticed the price difference too on the Deluxe Guarantee and the thought has crossed my mind whether or not to do it......:)

I think you're following me, just to make sure I'll make good on the bet. ;) And yes, I owe you one.

Archived