Anybody not enjoy Chef's Table?

Barnes11

On the Glory in Jan of 2011, we did it and really enjoyed it. I told them that I could not have wheat, fish, kiwi or any alcohol. They Chef was great and made me some different things. It was really good. However, in Jan of this year we were on a Princess ship and tried to do the Chef's Table and we were refused because of the things I could not eat. I am hoping that on the Dream I will be able to do it. If not we will go to the steak house.

tigercat

Does anyone know where they are doing chef's table on the Breeze? I have done it twice with the old menu, both times on a spirit class ship. I don't think I would like the table in the galley. Anyone know about the Breeze?

Pat

The Dream class ships are the only ones that can handle the table in the galley. On the Dream we enjoyed the Chef's Table twice - and it was in the galley. I prefer that location much more than having it at some remote (from the kitchen) area. I like the goings on in the galley.

Additionally, on the Dream, when we enjoyed the appetizers, it was in a lounge where you could sit and place your champagne on a table. On the other ships, you "enjoy" your budget quality champagne while standing in the galley and eating your appetizers.

Tom

This might be something we'd be interested in next month. We're 3 couples in our late 40's, early 50's. We're already doing the steak house one night, but this seems like something we might enjoy.

Is it booked like an excursion or like the steak house?

The current menu is not near as good as the previous one. I'll be glad when the change it again.

Given the new menu, I would NOT take 3 hours out of a cruise evening to "enjoy" this meal. Regarding dining in the steakhouse twice versus once at the Chef's Table: I would, without hesitation, suggest opting for the two visits to the steakhouse!

Tom

I agree! With the current menu, I can get salmon, game hen and short rib in the MDR. At least with the old menu the items were unique to the CT. And the smoked tomato soup and sea bass were excellent!!

I've read so many good reviews, and I'm curious if anyone out there has done it and regretted it. I'm debating on trying it and I'm sure would enjoy it, but we could go to the steakhouse twice for what it costs to do CT once. Just trying to get any ideas. Also how soon does it need to be booked? Is it possible to book once on board?

Well worth trying it once. I won't book again until they release a new menu. LOVED everything except the dessert and wagyu beef. The beef was braised to butter tenderness... but I can braise my old pot roast to butter tenderness too... was hoping to taste the difference in the beef. The dessert was confusing, too conceptual. However the wine and champagne never stopped flowing, the tuna was to die for, as was the quail. They had an impossibly yummy brioche baked in a flowerpot with a knot of roasted garlic on top.... over all a memorable meal, but one I won't repeat. As soon as a new menu is out though will try that. :)

I felt the same way... they call THAT dessert? !! :eek: What a pile of messed up junk. Assuming I have room left for dessert, how about a nice slice of cheesecake, a brownie sundae, warm chocolate melting cake - heck, even a scoop of ice cream in lieu of the "Chef in a Candy Store"! It's more like "Chef Trapped in a Candy Store while on Acid"! :eek:

Love this!! So true! :D

OP- We did the chef's table on our recent cruise on the Fascination. Overall, the food was good, the tour of the galley was nice. The overall experience lasted about 3 hours. We were NOT impressed with the beef course (tasted like pot roast). We had a real obnoxious couple at the table that drove everyone crazy! (By the end of the meal he was telling "off color" jokes- that was our queue to leave!) The dessert was a mess! I too would have enjoyed eating the warm chocolate melting cake. With all of that said, we are glad we tried it, but doubt we will ever do it again.

I think my wife and I will agree with virtually all the criticisms so far posted. We did the Chef's Table on the Magic's transatlantic crossing last year, and while we did appreciate the experience, despite the change from the original menu, we think it was a one-off experience. Your table mates and location DO make all the difference in the world, so having it in the galley was a little jarring. Also, despite the excellent service and free-flowing wine, it doesn't seem like it is a great value for the fee, pricey cuts of beef aside. Finally, I think I enjoyed the dessert more than my wife, but it really was no great shakes. As far as food allergies go, however, we informed them ahead of time of my allergies to both tomatoes and strawberries, and the chef did a fantastic job accomodating me. I think the OP should approach the Chef's Table experience, then, as something definitely to try, and expect to enjoy, but it is really not a must-repeat event, like the steakhouse.

I did the chef's table on the Elation in Feb, I loved the apps and the tour of the kitchen, the meal itself I did not enjoy. The only thing good was the fish, meat was overcooked and tough. The technical aspects were not done well and I felt that mass amounts of food just put on the plates. I did not think the quality was there, maybe it was just that ship. I do consider myself a foodie type.

We had a real obnoxious couple at the table that drove everyone crazy! (By the end of the meal he was telling "off color" jokes- that was our queue to leave!) The dessert was a mess! I too would have enjoyed eating the warm chocolate melting cake. With all of that said, we are glad we tried it, but doubt we will ever do it again.

We've had good table mates at 4 of 5 Chef's Tables. It was bad enough (colorful language and all) that we left before dessert. Some people are real gems! ;)

Tom

This might be something we'd be interested in next month. We're 3 couples in our late 40's, early 50's. We're already doing the steak house one night, but this seems like something we might enjoy.

Is it booked like an excursion or like the steak house?

When you first board there is a table usually set up and attendants who ask if you want to sign up. Not sure if you can book in advance.

I did it with the old menu. Unfortunately, I was seated next to the most boring woman in the universe!:o I had to get up from the table a few times to try to escape her. Her husband ignored her.

It was too long between courses also. 3 1/2 hours is too long to me. Wish they still gave you the cookbook.

I wouldn't even bother with the new menu. Much prefer the Steakhouse.

So the feedback I am getting is if they r still serving the same menu they have now on the Breeze in Jan., it's not something we probably want to do. We loved the old menu and would repeat that but I'm also not sold with sitting in the galley as we liked the elegance of the other room we dined in. They really made it special!

I really enjoyed chef's table on the Destiny last month. Our reception was held in the kitchen galley- so we really had the chance to see what it was like during dinner rush. We had dinner in a private room off of the Onyx Lounge. I thought all of the food was wonderful; that said, I wouldn't do it again unless the menu was changed :)

Old menu on the Freedom in a private dining room, new one on the Magic in the galley. The group at the end of the table were upset not having the sea bass and fillet. At least until they had 3 or 4 bottles of wine. :D Someone mentioned that they could get the second menu entrees in MDR so felt disappointed. Actually, you could get the old menu items there as well. I can't claim to be a 'foodie' because I'll just about eat anything twice to give it a chance. Sweetbreads had their chance though I hear fried ones might be pretty good. I'm sure I'm in the minority as far as the 'candy shop' dessert. I liked it. I liked the short ribs as well, especially the sauce with the brioche. I think Carnival was careful with the first menu, sticking with things like the highly ordered items in the MDR. Without a doubt, the second menu is "edgy".

I suspect the next one will retreat a bit towards mainstream diners. I'm sure we will wait until a new menu comes out. The experience is great, not nearly as hectic as it is in 'kitchen stadium' but it is fun. It has been mentioned by others, I thought because it was in the kitchen, it was somewhat difficult to hear the chef's comments for each of the courses and he was also often called on to 'fight fires'. That was the only 'less than' for me. Good thing I had soda otherwise our neighbors aft might have run out of wine. :)

[quote name='Wolfie48']I haven't done it and probably won't I have heard the wines are not very good, and I'm kind of a wine snob. With such good food I wish they would offer better wine.:confused:[/QUOTE]

They start the meal off (during the appetizers actually) with a no-name champagne. From the looks of it, it's the same bottle they both give away in contests on the ship and send to people who've had issues. I decline having any when offered (having given it a try a couple of times) as they are wasting it on me! The wines served during the meal are nothing to write home about as well!

They really should up it a notch or two - but most of the people dining there probably don't pick up on that ("hey, it's FREE wine... all you can drink"). ;)

Tom

I guess after reading all the positive reports I had high expectations of the Chef's table - and I would say they were not met?

See my detailed review w/pics - start at #87: [url]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1369046&page=5[/url]

Archived